Introducing Barney Desmazery’s irresistible grilled summer berry pudding recipe. This delicious dessert not only pampers your taste buds, but also offers guilt-free enjoyment thanks to its low-fat ingredients. Packed with the natural sweetness of seasonal berries, this grilled treat is a refreshing twist on the classic pudding. Impress your guests with this delicious treat, perfect for warm summer evenings. So why not try this healthier option and satisfy your dessert cravings without hurting your waistline?
- 4 slices of white bread, crust removed
- 85g golden powdered sugar
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 200g/8oz cup low-fat cream cheese
- 300g mixed summer berries (we used raspberries, blueberries, currants, sliced strawberries) or 300g frozen berries, thawed
- Preheat the grill to the highest setting.
- Place the bread slices in a shallow, ovenproof dish, overlapping them slightly.
- Sprinkle about 2 tablespoons sugar evenly over the bread and broil until the bread is toasted and the sugar just begins to caramelize, about two minutes.
- Mix the cornstarch into the cream cheese.
- Mound the fruit in the middle of the bread and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Place a spoonful of the cream cheese mixture on top and then sprinkle the remaining sugar evenly over the top.
- Place the dish as close to the heat as possible and grill for about 6-8 minutes, until the cream cheese is browned and everything else begins to bubble and become juicy.
- Let it rest for a minute or two and then serve hot, spooned straight from the bowl.
Equipment and tools
To make this Grilled Summer Berry Pudding you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Grill or oven
- Medium sized pot
- Heatproof bowl or ramekins
- spatula or spoon
- mixing bowl
This Grilled Summer Berry Pudding recipe may contain the following allergens:
- Gluten (from bread)
- Dairy products (from cream cheese)
Please check the specific ingredients and brands you use to ensure they are appropriate for your dietary needs.
Storage and leftovers
If there are any leftovers, you can store the grilled summer berry pudding in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. To enjoy it again, you can simply reheat it in the microwave or serve it cold.
Please note that the consistency of the bread may change slightly after it has cooled.
Health Benefits of Grilled Summer Berry Pudding
Grilled summer berry pudding is not only a delicious dessert, but also a dessert that comes with a number of health benefits. Packed with nutritious ingredients, this dessert can be enjoyed guilt-free. Let’s take a closer look at the health benefits of some of the key ingredients.
The star of this recipe is undoubtedly the mixed summer berries. Whether you use raspberries, blueberries, currants or sliced strawberries, you will benefit from a wealth of nutrients.
Berries are known to be rich in antioxidants that help fight free radicals in the body. The high antioxidant content in berries has been linked to various health benefits, including reducing the risk of chronic diseases, improving brain function, and supporting heart health.
Additionally, berries are low in calories and high in fiber, making them an ideal choice for anyone looking to maintain a healthy weight or improve digestion.
2. White sliced bread
Although white bread often has a bad reputation, it can still have some nutritional value when consumed in moderation.
White bread is a source of carbohydrates, which are essential for providing energy to the body. In addition, it contains small amounts of fiber, vitamins and minerals.
3. Low-fat cream cheese
Using low-fat cream cheese in this grilled summer berry pudding creates a creamy and delicious texture without adding excessive calories or fat.
Fromage frais is a type of fresh cheese that contains less fat than other dairy products. It is a good source of protein and calcium, essential for maintaining strong bones and supporting a healthy immune system.
4. Golden powdered sugar
The sweetness of this dessert comes from golden powdered sugar. Although it is important to consume added sugars in moderation, a small amount can still be enjoyed as part of a balanced diet.
In this recipe, the golden powdered sugar adds flavor and helps bring out the natural sweetness of the berries. However, it is important to note that reducing the amount of sugar can still result in a delicious and healthier dessert.
This recipe uses cornstarch as a thickener to make a delicious berry sauce. It is a gluten-free option that may be suitable for those with gluten intolerance or allergies.
Cornmeal is low in calories and fat, making it a good choice for thickening sauces without adding unnecessary calories to the dish.
With the combination of berries, low-fat cream cheese, and other healthy ingredients in this grilled summer berry pudding, you can enjoy a dessert that not only tantalizes your taste buds, but also offers a range of health benefits.