Do you want to impress your guests with a delicious dish? Our Grilled Greek Lamb with Tzatziki recipe is perfect for you! This step-by-step guide will show you how to shape a leg of lamb to perfection, infuse it with delicious Greek flavors, and give you the option of either roasting it or cooking it proudly on the grill. The result? A juicy and tender lamb that will make anyone want seconds. Don’t forget to serve it with our homemade tzatziki sauce for the perfect touch. Get ready to be the star of the barbecue evening!
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Juice 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp thyme leaf
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 leg of lamb, butterflied (see step-by-step instructions)
- Flatbreads for serving
- ½ cucumber, halved and deseeded
- 170g cup of Greek yogurt
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- a handful of mint leaves, chopped
- Crush the garlic into a paste using a pestle and mortar.
- Mix the garlic paste with olive oil, lemon juice, oregano and thyme leaves.
- Season the mixture with a little salt and plenty of pepper.
- Place the lamb in a large porcelain bowl.
- Pour the marinade over the lamb and massage it into the meat.
- Allow the lamb to marinate at room temperature for at least 1 hour or longer in the refrigerator, but no longer than overnight to prevent the meat from becoming too soft.
- To cook the lamb on the grill, wait until the coals are ash colored.
- Place the lamb on the grill and sear for 15 minutes on each side for pink meat, or 20 minutes on each side if cooked through.
- To cook the lamb in the oven, preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7.
- Place the lamb in a shallow roasting pan and roast for 30 minutes for pink meat or 40 minutes for well done meat.
- Turn the lamb halfway through the cooking time.
- Allow the cooked lamb to rest for 10 minutes before carving.
- In the meantime prepare the tzatziki.
- Grate the cucumber coarsely and sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
- Squeeze all the liquid out of the cucumber.
- Place the cucumber in a bowl and add the yogurt, garlic and mint.
- For the tzatziki, mix the ingredients well.
- Cut the lamb into thick slices.
- Serve the lamb with tzatziki wrapped in warm flatbreads.
Equipment and tools
- cutting board
- Basting brush
This recipe contains dairy (Greek yogurt).
Storage and leftovers
Leftover lamb can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days. The tzatziki sauce can also be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Heat the lamb in the oven or on the grill before serving.
Health Benefits of Grilled Greek Lamb with Tzatziki
Grilled Greek lamb with tzatziki is not only a delicious and flavorful dish but also offers several health benefits. This popular Greek recipe is a perfect combination of juicy lamb with aromatic herbs and a refreshing tzatziki sauce, making it a nutritious choice for any meal. Let’s take a closer look at the health benefits of this delicious dish.
1. Rich in protein
The main ingredient in this recipe, lamb, is a great source of protein. Protein is essential for building and repairing tissue in our body as well as maintaining proper immune function. Including protein-rich foods like lamb in your diet can help you feel fuller for longer and support muscle growth and repair.
2. Good source of healthy fats
Olive oil, a key ingredient when marinating lamb, is rich in monounsaturated fats. These healthy fats have been linked to numerous health benefits, such as reducing inflammation, improving heart health, and supporting brain function. By using olive oil in cooking, you can add a dose of healthy fats to your diet.
3. Packed with antioxidants
The herbs used to marinate the lamb, such as oregano, thyme and bay leaves, contain antioxidants that help protect our cells from damage caused by harmful free radicals. Antioxidants are known to have anti-inflammatory properties and may help reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease and certain cancers.
4. Supports digestive health
Tzatziki, the traditional Greek yogurt and cucumber sauce served with lamb, is not only a delicious side dish but also offers digestive benefits. Greek yogurt is a probiotic-rich food that contains beneficial bacteria for gut health. In addition, cucumbers are rich in fiber, which aids digestion and prevents constipation.
5. Nutrient-rich option
This dish provides a variety of essential nutrients. Lamb is a good source of iron, which is important for red blood cell production and oxygen transport. Herbs like oregano and thyme are rich in vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C, vitamin K, calcium and manganese. Tzatziki sauce provides calcium, vitamin B12 and vitamin D from Greek yogurt.
In summary, grilled Greek lamb with tzatziki will not only satisfy your taste buds but also provide numerous health benefits. This dish is a good source of protein and provides healthy fats and antioxidants. It’s a nutritious choice that can support your overall well-being. So treat yourself to this Greek culinary delight!