If you have time the day before, marinate the meat overnight. Then when you’re ready, light the barbie and start cooking. This delicious grilled fajita steak recipe will add a pop of flavor to your dinner table. Tender pieces of steak are marinated in a mixture of spices, citrus juices and herbs, resulting in a succulent and succulent dish. As it sizzles on the grill, the aroma will captivate your senses and you’ll be excited to take your first bite. Serve with warm tortillas, fresh guacamole, and zesty salsa for a delicious Mexican-inspired feast.
- 4 beef steaks, preferably rib-eye steak, approx. 250 g each
- 8 flour tortillas, plus any toppings for serving
- 150 ml sour cream (optional)
- Juice of 6 limes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 4 tsp ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- small bunch of coriander, finely chopped
Rain or shine…
If it’s not grilling weather, grill the steaks in a hot grill pan.
- Mix all the ingredients for the marinade in a bowl.
- Place the steaks in a shallow bowl or tray.
- Pour the marinade over the steaks.
- Turn the steaks over so that they are completely coated with the marinade.
- Let the steaks stand for at least 1 hour or cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
- Heat the grill.
- Wipe off any excess marinade from the steaks.
- Cook the steaks on medium for 3 minutes on each side, or longer if desired.
- Let the steaks rest for 5 minutes.
- Cut the steaks into thick slices.
- Heat 8 large flour tortillas on the grill.
- Spread mashed black beans on the tortillas.
- Place steak slices, onions and peppers on the tortillas.
- Add pico de gallo, guacamole and sour cream if desired.
- Roll up the tortillas.
- Enjoy the fajitas with a glass of michelada!
Equipment and tools
- Barbecue grill or hot grill pan
- Tongs or spatula
- cutting board
- Garlic crusher or pestle and mortar
- Juicer or lime reamer
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Wheat (flour tortillas)
- Dairy products (sour cream)
Please ensure that these allergens are appropriate for consumption based on individual dietary restrictions or preferences.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftover grilled fajita steak, you can store it properly to prevent spoilage and enjoy it later. Follow these guidelines:
- Allow the steak to cool completely.
- Wrap the steak tightly in plastic wrap or place it in an airtight container.
- Place leftover steak in the refrigerator within 2 hours of cooking.
- Properly stored leftover steak can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- If you want to reheat it, you can reheat it in the microwave, oven, or stovetop.
- Make sure the reheated steak reaches a safe internal temperature of at least 165°F (74°C) before eating.
Note: Leftover steaks can also be used in sandwiches, salads, or other dishes for delicious leftovers.
Health Benefits of Grilled Fajita Steak
Grilled fajita steak is not only a delicious dish but also offers numerous health benefits. The combination of the following ingredients makes it a nutritious choice for any meal:
1. Beef steaks
The main ingredient of this recipe, beef steaks, especially rib-eye steaks, are a good source of high-quality protein. Protein is essential for repairing and building tissue in the body. In addition, beef steaks are rich in vitamins and minerals, including iron, zinc and B vitamins.
2. Flour tortillas
The flour tortillas used in this recipe are a versatile and convenient source of carbohydrates. Carbohydrates are important for supplying the body with energy. Additionally, whole wheat flour tortillas may contain fiber, which aids digestion and promotes a healthy digestive system.
3. Sour cream
While sour cream is optional, it can be a tasty addition to this dish. It provides a creamy texture and a spicy taste. However, it should be noted that sour cream is high in saturated fat and calories. Therefore, it is advisable to consume it in moderation.
The juice of six limes in the marinade gives the grilled fajita steak a refreshing citrus flavor. Limes are an excellent source of vitamin C, which is crucial for a strong immune system and collagen production. They also provide antioxidants that help protect the body from free radicals.
5. Olive oil
Using olive oil in the marinade offers numerous health benefits. It contains monounsaturated fats, which are considered heart-healthy fats. Olive oil also contains antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties that contribute to overall well-being.
6. Garlic, oregano, cumin and black pepper
The combination of garlic, oregano, cumin and black pepper not only gives the grilled fajita steak incredible flavor but also provides health benefits. Garlic has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties, while oregano is rich in antioxidants that have potential health benefits. Cumin and black pepper, on the other hand, promote digestion and may have antimicrobial effects.
The addition of finely chopped coriander gives the dish freshness and a special flavor. Cilantro is full of antioxidants and may have antimicrobial properties. It is also a good source of vitamins A, C and K as well as fiber.
Whether you cook the grilled fajita steak outdoors or on a grill pan, you can enjoy a nutritious and tasty meal that provides a balance of proteins, carbohydrates, healthy fats, and essential vitamins and minerals.