Treat yourself to the ultimate comfort food with our Greek Chicken, Rice and Lemon Soup recipe. This classic dish, known as avgolemono, will warm your heart as its creamy texture and healthy taste tantalize your taste buds. With every spoonful you’ll experience the delicious combination of tender chicken, perfectly cooked rice and a tangy hint of lemon. Whether you’re in the mood for a comforting meal or a lovingly prepared bowl of deliciousness, our Greek Chicken, Rice and Lemon Soup is sure to satisfy your soul. Close your eyes, savor every bite and feel the warm embrace of this truly comforting dish.
- 1.6kg whole chicken
- 6 black peppercorns
- 2 onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 300g medium or long grain rice
- 4 eggs
- 2 lemons, juiced, plus peeled zest for serving (optional)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus an additional pinch for serving
- Place the chicken in a large pot along with the peppercorns, onions, celery and carrots.
- Cover with cold water and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until chicken is tender and falling apart, 1 hour.
- Remove from heat and let rest for 1 hour and 30 minutes, or until completely cool.
- Place the chicken on a board and remove the meat from the bones.
- You can store the meat in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two days, or add it back into the soup later.
- Discard the carcass.
- Strain the broth, remove any flavorings and measure the liquid into a jug – you will need about 2.5 liters.
- Pour the broth back into the pot, season with salt and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Stir in the rice, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, covered, until the rice is tender, 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, place the eggs in the bowl of a food processor and pour in the juice of 1½ lemons.
- Add the cinnamon and a generous pinch of black pepper and stir.
- (If you don’t have a stand mixer, use a large bowl and an electric whisk or whisk.)
- With the motor running on low speed, add some hot stock (not rice) and beat into the eggs until creamy.
- Repeat this process three more times with the engine running continuously.
- Add the egg and broth mixture to the rice.
- Add the shredded chicken to the rice soup.
- Simmer over low heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly, until you have a thick, creamy soup.
- (Stirring prevents the soup from starting or the egg from becoming scrambled.)
- Depending on your taste, stir in the juice of the remaining ½ lemon.
- Serve immediately or, if desired, let stand for 10 minutes to thicken even further.
- Sprinkle with additional cinnamon and peeled lemon peel if desired.
Equipment and tools
- Large soup pot
- cutting board
- measuring cup
- measuring spoon
- wooden spoon
- Citrus peel
This Greek Chicken, Rice and Lemon Soup recipe contains the following allergens:
- None of the 8 most common allergens (milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, nuts, peanuts, wheat and soy)
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftover Greek Chicken, Rice, and Lemon Soup, you can store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When reheating, make sure to heat it thoroughly before serving.
Health Benefits of Greek Chicken, Rice and Lemon Soup
Greek Chicken, Rice and Lemon Soup, also called Avgolemono, is a traditional Greek dish that not only tantalizes the taste buds but also offers several health benefits. Packed with healthy ingredients, this soup is not only delicious but also highly nutritious.
1. High protein content
By adding 1.6kg of whole chicken, this soup provides a significant amount of protein. Protein is an essential nutrient that plays a critical role in repairing and building tissue, supporting immune function, and providing energy. Incorporating protein-rich foods like chicken into your diet can promote muscle growth and repair.
2. Abundance of vegetables
The recipe calls for onions, celery sticks, and carrots, all nutrient-dense vegetables. This vegetable is rich in vitamins, minerals and fiber. Onions, for example, are full of antioxidants that can help reduce inflammation and lower the risk of chronic disease. Known for its moisturizing properties, celery is also a good source of antioxidants and fiber. Carrots are rich in beta-carotene, which the body converts into vitamin A, which is essential for maintaining healthy vision and supporting a strong immune system.
3. Nutritious rice
Whether you choose medium-grain or long-grain rice, you’ll get a good amount of carbohydrates, B vitamins, and minerals. Rice is a staple food in many cultures and provides energy to support body functions. It also contains iron, which is necessary for transporting oxygen throughout the body, and magnesium, which plays an important role in maintaining heart health and muscle function.
4. Richness in eggs
The addition of 4 eggs not only adds richness and flavor to the soup, but also adds to its nutritional profile. Eggs are an excellent source of high-quality protein and contain important nutrients such as choline, vitamin D and B vitamins. Due to their lutein and zeaxanthin content, they can also help improve eye health.
5. Vitamin C from lemons
Adding a squeeze of lemon juice to this soup not only enhances the flavor but also provides a healthy dose of vitamin C. Lemons are known for their high vitamin C content, which acts as an antioxidant and boosts the immune system. Vitamin C also supports the absorption of iron from plant sources, making it an important nutrient in a balanced diet.
6. Cinnamon references
A pinch of ground cinnamon not only provides a pleasant aroma, but can also provide health benefits. Cinnamon is believed to have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. It may help regulate blood sugar levels and improve insulin sensitivity, making it potentially beneficial for those with diabetes or insulin resistance.
So the next time you make Greek Chicken, Rice and Lemon Soup, you’ll not only please your taste buds but also provide your body with a variety of essential nutrients. Enjoy the health benefits of this delicious and comforting dish!