Our Gravadlax Salad with Celery and Fennel is a light and refreshing salmon appetizer and the perfect start to a meal. The combination of tender gravadlax or smoked salmon with the crunch of lettuce leaves and the subtle flavors of celery and fennel is simply divine.
This dish requires no cooking, making it incredibly quick and easy to prepare. Simply combine fresh seasonal produce with gravadlax or smoked salmon and drizzle with our delicious honey mustard dressing for a touch of sweetness and spice. It’s an elegant and healthy option that’s sure to impress your guests.
- 350-400g Gravadlax or smoked salmon
- 1 tsp whole grain mustard
- 1 ½ tsp honey
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 5 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 7 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (a fruity, not bitter Tuscan)
- 2 tbsp cream
- Juice of 1 lemon (maybe you don’t need it at all)
- 300g celery
- 1 large fennel bulb
- ¼ red onion
- 1 small red apple
- 1 small green apple
- 15 g bunch of dill, leaves only, roughly chopped
- Make the dressing first.
- Add mustard, honey, garlic, vinegar and some spice to a cup.
- Stir in the oil in a steady stream.
- Stir in cream.
- Check the seasonings – they should be sweet and sour.
- Add some lemon juice to a mixing bowl.
- Peel the celery and cut the flesh into strips.
- Toss the celery matchsticks in the lemon juice to prevent discoloration.
- Quarter the fennel and remove any coarse outer leaves.
- Trim the tips and save any tufted fronds.
- Cut the stalk out of each piece of fennel.
- Using a very sharp knife or mandolin, slice the fennel lengthwise.
- The fennel slices should be almost transparent.
- Mix the fennel with the celeriac and add more lemon juice.
- Chop the onion finely, preferably with a mandolin.
- Halve the apples, core them and cut them into sticks.
- Add the onion and apple sticks to the bowl.
- Add a little more lemon juice to prevent the apple from browning.
- Chop the fennel fronds and dill and add them to the bowl.
- Mix the salad with the dressing.
- Divide the salad between eight plates and place some Gravadlax next to it.
- Alternatively, you can serve the gravadlax and offer the salad in a large bowl.
Gravadlax with celery and fennel salad
Equipment and tools
- cutting board
- Sharp knife
- Whisk or fork
Please note that this recipe contains the following allergens:
- Fish (gravadlax or smoked salmon)
- Dairy products (single cream)
Storage and leftovers
Leftover Gravadlax with Celery and Fennel Salad can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. For optimal freshness, it is recommended to consume it within this time. Before serving leftovers, make sure they are still edible by checking for signs of spoilage or unpleasant odors.
350-400g Gravadlax or smoked salmon
1 tsp whole grain mustard
1 ½ tsp honey
2 garlic cloves, crushed
5 tsp apple cider vinegar
7 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (a fruity, not bitter Tuscan)
2 tbsp cream
Juice of 1 lemon (maybe you don’t need it at all)
1 large fennel bulb
¼ red onion
1 small red apple
1 small green apple
15 g bunch of dill, leaves only, roughly chopped
Health Benefits of Gravadlax with Celery and Fennel Salad
Gravadlax with celery and fennel salad is not only a delicious dish but also offers numerous health benefits. From the omega-3 fatty acids in salmon to the nutrient-dense components of celeriac and fennel, this dish offers a range of nutrients that are beneficial for overall well-being.
1. Omega-3 fatty acids promote heart health
The gravadlax or smoked salmon used in this recipe is an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids. These essential fats are known to support heart health by reducing inflammation, maintaining healthy cholesterol levels, and promoting proper heart rhythm. Regular consumption of omega-3 fatty acids is also associated with a lower risk of heart disease.
2. Celeriac supports digestive health
The celeriac used in this recipe offers numerous health benefits, especially when it comes to digestive health. With its high fiber content, celeriac supports digestion by promoting intestinal activity and preventing constipation. Additionally, fiber-rich foods like celeriac can help support a healthy gut microbiome, which is essential for overall digestive wellness.
3. Fennel provides antioxidants and nutrients
The fennel bulb used in salad is a rich source of antioxidants, including flavonoids and phenolic compounds. These antioxidants help protect the body from oxidative stress caused by free radicals, which can lead to various chronic diseases. Fennel also contains essential nutrients such as vitamin C, potassium and fiber, which have positive effects on immune function, blood pressure regulation and digestive health.
4. Apples provide fiber and vitamin C
Using both red and green apples in this recipe further increases the nutritional value. Apples are full of fiber, which aids digestion and helps maintain healthy blood sugar levels. Additionally, apples are an excellent source of vitamin C, an antioxidant that supports immune function and collagen production.
5. Dill offers antimicrobial properties
The dill leaves used for garnish not only add a special taste but also offer some health benefits. Dill has antimicrobial properties that can help fight harmful bacteria and fungi, improve oral health, and reduce the risk of infections.
Combining these ingredients in Gravadlax with celery and fennel salad creates a well-rounded dish that not only satisfies your taste buds but also supports your overall health.