A bundt pan adds a pretty finishing touch to this citrus sponge cake, drizzled with a savory butter glaze. This delicious recipe combines the refreshing taste of grapefruit with the delicious crunch of poppy seeds. The citrus scent fills the kitchen and makes it impossible to resist. Perfect as a sweet treat for tea time or special occasions, this cake is both visually appealing and delicious. The moist and fluffy texture combined with the spicy glaze creates a delicious explosion of flavor with every bite. Treat your taste buds to this irresistible grapefruit poppy seed cake!
- 175g butter, softened, plus some butter for the tin
- 300g flour, plus some flour for dusting
- 300g powdered sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 225 ml sour cream
- Zest of 2 grapefruits, plus 3 tablespoons juice
- 4 tsp poppy seeds, roasted
- 100g powdered sugar
- 25g butter
- Zest of 1 grapefruit, plus 4 tablespoons juice
Don’t have the right can?
If you want to buy a bundt cake tin you can find lots of good versions online, if not then you can
can bake this cake
at a depth of 20 cm
round can. Only
Bake for an additional charge
Instead, 20-25 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
- Butter a 1.5 liter bundt cake tin or ring tin and then flour it.
- Mix butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla, flour, baking powder, sour cream, grapefruit zest and juice, and roasted poppy seeds.
- Scrape into the mold and smooth out.
- Bake for 40-55 minutes, depending on the shape of the pan, until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Let it cool slightly in the mold while you prepare the glaze.
- Gently heat powdered sugar, butter and grapefruit juice to melt the butter.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in zest and let cool until thickened and syrupy, about 10 minutes.
- Turn the warm cake out onto a cooling rack.
- Spread half of the icing over the cake.
- Pour the rest over it little by little so that it is absorbed.
Equipment and tools
- 20 cm large bundt pan or 20 cm deep round tin
- mixing bowls
- Whisk or electric mixer
- Spatula or wooden spoon
- Zester or grater
- Baking paper or butter for greasing the mold
- Cooling rack
This Grapefruit Poppy Seed Cake recipe contains:
- Dairy products (butter, sour cream)
Storage and leftovers
This cake can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. Alternatively, you can store it in the fridge for a longer shelf life.
To make it last longer, you can freeze the cake. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or foil and place it in a freezer-safe container. It can be frozen for up to 3 months. Before serving, thaw the cake overnight in the refrigerator or at room temperature for a few hours.
Health Benefits of Grapefruit and Poppy Seed Cake
Grapefruit Poppy Seed Cake is not only a delicious and indulgent treat for your taste buds but also offers a number of health benefits. This delicious cake combines the refreshing citrus flavor of grapefruit with the nuttiness of poppy seeds for a unique and satisfying dessert. Let’s explore some of the health benefits offered by the key ingredients in this recipe.
Grapefruit is a nutritious fruit that is full of important vitamins and minerals. It is an excellent source of vitamins A and C and significantly strengthens your immune system. These vitamins are powerful antioxidants that protect your cells from damage caused by harmful free radicals.
Additionally, grapefruit is known for its high water content, which can help maintain hydration and support healthy digestion. The fiber content in grapefruit aids digestion and can prevent constipation. In addition, grapefruit is relatively low in calories and can be a good addition to a balanced diet, especially if you want to lose or maintain your weight.
Poppy seeds not only add a delicious crunch to the cake, but also provide several health benefits. These tiny seeds are a rich source of fiber and healthy fats. Fiber helps regulate digestion, ensures regular bowel movements, and can reduce the risk of certain chronic diseases such as heart disease and diabetes.
Poppy seeds are also a good source of essential minerals such as calcium, iron, magnesium and zinc. Calcium is crucial for healthy bones and teeth, while iron is necessary for oxygen transport in the body. Magnesium plays an important role in many physiological processes, including nerve function and blood pressure regulation, while zinc supports immune function and wound healing.
In addition, poppy seeds contain natural compounds such as omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants, which can help reduce inflammation in the body and protect against chronic diseases.
This recipe calls for sour cream, which adds moisture and richness to the cake. While sour cream isn’t as healthy as yogurt, it still offers some benefits. It is a source of calcium essential for strong bones and teeth. Additionally, sour cream adds a tangy flavor and can help balance the sweetness of the cake.
Overall, this Grapefruit Poppy Seed Cake is not only a delicious dessert but also a treat that offers various health benefits. Incorporating these ingredients into your diet can contribute to a balanced and nutritious lifestyle. So enjoy a piece of this cake without feeling guilty!