Introducing the tempting and innovative Gooseberry Syllabub Pavlova – a delicious variant for all Pavlova lovers! This enchanting concoction combines the light, airy texture of pavlova with the refreshing tartness of gooseberries, delivering an explosion of flavor with every bite.
Our carefully crafted Pavlova base forms the perfect foundation for the velvety-soft Syllabub filling, filled with a hint of zesty citrus. Generously topped with glossy meringue peaks and a sprinkle of juicy gooseberries, this dessert masterpiece is a true treat for all the senses.
Treat yourself to this extraordinary Pavlova creation that combines classic elegance with irresistible innovation. It’s a surefire way to impress guests and brighten up any occasion. Get ready to experience a Pavlova like never before!
- 4 large free-range proteins
- 1 heaped teaspoon of cornstarch
- 200g golden powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vinegar (preferably fruit or apple cider vinegar)
- 500g gooseberries, trimmed, tailed and rinsed
- 100 g refined powdered sugar, plus 2 tbsp
- 1 tbsp brandy
- Juice of half a lemon
- 3 tbsp elderflower syrup
- 142 ml carton of double cream
Prepare the meringue pan up to 24 hours in advance, wrap loosely in foil and refrigerate. Cook the gooseberries up to 48 hours in advance and chill. Curriculum can be prepared and refrigerated up to 12 hours in advance.
- Preheat the oven to 150°C/gas 2/fan 130°C.
- Line a heavy baking tray with baking paper and draw a 24cm circle on it.
- Place the egg whites in a very large, fat-free bowl.
- Mix the cornstarch and sugar together, then add half to the egg whites.
- Using electric mixers, beat until thick and glossy and stiff peaks form.
- Add the remaining sugar, add the vinegar and continue beating until well incorporated.
- Spread the meringue over the circle, leaving a 1cm border.
- Using the back of a large spoon, make a shallow well in the center for the filling, then build up the sides as high as possible.
- Using a spatula, form swirled peaks onto the meringue.
- Bake the meringue base on the middle shelf for 20 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 140°C/Gas 1/Fan 120°C and bake for 40 minutes (1 hour in the gas oven).
- Turn off the oven, but leave the meringue in with the door closed for 1-3 hours.
- Meanwhile, cover and gently cook the gooseberries and 100g sugar over a low heat for 15 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- When the gooseberries are soft, drain (reserve the juice) and allow to cool thoroughly.
- To make the syllabub, whisk brandy, lemon juice and 2 tablespoons sugar in a large bowl for 1 minute.
- Add the elderflower syrup and cream and stir until the mixture forms soft peaks.
- Fold in the drained fruit.
- Remove the parchment from the meringue.
- Place the meringue pan on a large flat plate or cake stand.
- Top up the Syllabub filling.
- Serve immediately.
Equipment and tools
To make the Gooseberry Syllabub Pavlova you will need the following equipment and tools:
- mixing bowl
- baking paper
- measuring spoon
- wooden spoon
- Cooling rack
- Aluminum foil
The Gooseberry Syllabub Pavlova recipe may contain the following allergens:
- Dairy products (double cream)
It is important to note that this recipe may come into contact with other allergens not listed above. Please exercise caution if you have food allergies or intolerances.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftover Gooseberry Syllabub Pavlova, you can store it as follows:
- Meringue Case: You can prepare the meringue case up to 24 hours in advance. After it has completely cooled, wrap it loosely in aluminum foil and keep it cool.
- Gooseberries: Cooked gooseberries can be prepared up to 48 hours in advance. Once cooled, place them in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator.
- Curriculum: The curriculum can be prepared up to 12 hours in advance. Cover tightly and store in the refrigerator.
For the best taste and texture, Gooseberry Syllabub Pavlova is recommended to be consumed within a few days.
Health Benefits of Gooseberry Syllabub Pavlova
Gooseberry Syllabub Pavlova is not only a delicious dessert but also offers a number of health benefits. This dessert combines the sweetness of meringue, the tartness of gooseberries and the creaminess of syllabub into a delicious and nutritious treat.
1. Rich in antioxidants
Gooseberries, the main ingredient in this pavlova, are rich in antioxidants. Antioxidants help protect cells from damage caused by harmful molecules called free radicals. The bright red, purple or green colors of gooseberries indicate the presence of powerful antioxidants such as anthocyanins and vitamin C.
2. Supports digestive health
Gooseberries are a good source of fiber, which plays a crucial role in digestive health. Fiber helps regulate bowel movements, prevents constipation and promotes a healthy digestive system. Adding gooseberries to your diet, like in this pavlova recipe, can help smooth digestion.
3. Strengthens immunity
Vitamin C, which is abundant in gooseberries, is known for its immune-boosting properties. Eating foods rich in vitamin C can help boost the immune system, protect against common illnesses like colds and flu, and support overall health and well-being.
4. Promotes heart health
The presence of flavonoids in gooseberries contributes to heart health. Flavonoids help reduce inflammation, improve blood circulation and reduce the risk of heart disease. Incorporating gooseberry-based desserts like this pavlova into your diet can be a sweet way to support cardiovascular health.
5. Provides essential nutrients
In addition to antioxidants and vitamin C, gooseberries are a good source of other essential nutrients such as vitamin A, potassium and calcium. These nutrients play an important role in maintaining healthy vision, supporting muscle and nerve function, and promoting strong bones.
When you enjoy Gooseberry Syllabub Pavlova, you not only indulge your taste buds but also enjoy a dessert that offers numerous health benefits. This combination of flavors and textures is a delight for the senses while providing your body with valuable nutrients.