Treat yourself to the delicious and refreshing taste of homemade gooseberry ice cream. This recipe requires a little dedication, but the end result is worth it. Capture the essence of the season by creating a delicious frozen treat using freshly picked gooseberries. Not only does this recipe allow you to enjoy the fruits of your labor, but it also offers a fantastic solution to using seasonal produce. Treat yourself and your loved ones to a delicious dessert that perfectly balances sweetness and sourness. Enjoy the satisfaction of making your own gooseberry ice cream at home!
- 4 egg yolks
- 100g powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 400 ml cream
- 200 ml whole milk
- 500 g gooseberries, with tip and tail
- 3 tbsp powdered sugar
- To make the puree, put the gooseberries and sugar in a pot with 4 tablespoons of water.
- Heat gently while stirring, then bring to a boil and cook until the fruit begins to burst.
- Place everything in a food processor and pulse until pureed.
- Strain through a sieve to remove seeds and skin.
- Place eggs, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl and stir until light.
- Heat the milk and cream to just below boiling point, then pour it over the eggs, stirring constantly, until fully combined.
- Clean the milk container and pour the custard back in.
- Heat gently, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the cream thickens and can coat the back of the spoon.
- Cool and relax.
- Mix the gooseberry puree with the vanilla sauce and stir in an ice cream maker until the mixture has thickened.
- Place in a freezer-safe container and freeze until needed.
Equipment and tools
- mixing bowl
- Ice cream maker
- Freezer safe container
This gooseberry ice cream recipe contains dairy and eggs. Please consider any allergies or dietary restrictions before consumption.
Storage and leftovers
If you have any leftover of this delicious gooseberry ice cream, store it in a freezer-safe container. It will keep in the freezer for up to 2 weeks. Allow the ice cream to soften at room temperature for a few minutes before serving.
Health Benefits of Gooseberry Ice Cream
Gooseberry ice cream not only satisfies your sweet tooth but also offers various health benefits. Made with fresh gooseberries, this delicious frozen treat is a delicious way to incorporate nutritious ingredients into your dessert. Let’s explore some of the health benefits that gooseberry ice cream can provide:
1. Rich in antioxidants
Gooseberries are known for their high antioxidant content, which protects the body from harmful free radicals. These antioxidants help reduce oxidative stress and can reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, cancer and inflammation.
2. Good source of vitamin C
Gooseberries are rich in vitamin C, an essential nutrient that supports a healthy immune system. Vitamin C also plays a crucial role in collagen synthesis, which promotes skin health and helps maintain strong bones and teeth.
3. Supports digestive health
Fiber is an important component of gooseberries; it supports digestion and prevents constipation. Including gooseberry ice cream in your diet can help improve gut health and promote regular bowel movements.
4. May help with weight management
With its combination of healthy fats from eggs, cream, and milk, as well as the fiber content of gooseberries, gooseberry ice cream can help you feel fuller for longer. This can prevent overeating and support the goal of weight control when taken as part of a balanced diet.
5. Improves nutrient absorption
Gooseberry ice cream is an excellent way to incorporate the nutritional benefits of gooseberries into your diet. It provides a convenient and enjoyable way to consume essential vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that support overall health and well-being.
So next time you’re looking for a refreshing, guilt-free dessert, treat yourself to a batch of homemade gooseberry ice cream. Not only does it satisfy your cravings, but it also offers numerous health benefits that can contribute to a balanced diet.