The Gooseberry flapjack crumble is a wonderfully baked oat pudding that perfectly balances the spiciness of green berries with the sweet and fruity notes of apples. This delicious dessert combines the goodness of healthy oats with the tartness of gooseberries to create a delicious treat. The soothing texture of the flapjack crumble melts in your mouth, enhanced by the juicy flavors of the apples. This delicious dessert is the ideal choice for anyone who wants to enjoy a sweet taste and at the same time the unique tang of gooseberries.
- Eat 5 apples
- Zest of 1 lemon and juice of ½ lemon
- 100g golden icing sugar (use 1-2 tbsp less if using sweeter red gooseberries)
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 kg gooseberries, with tip and tail
- Cream, vanilla ice cream or vanilla sauce for serving
- 100g golden syrup
- 100g butter
- 100g Demerara sugar
- 175g jumbo oat flakes
- 175g plain flour
- 100g oat flakes
- 50g hazelnuts, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/140°C fan/gas 3
- Melt syrup and butter in a small saucepan
- Mix the dry ingredients in a separate bowl
- Add the dry ingredients to the melted butter mixture and mix well
- Spread the mixture on a baking tray and bake for 20 minutes until golden brown
- Turn lightly with a fork and fry for another 5 minutes until all sides are crispy
- Allow the topping to cool and store in an airtight container for up to 3 days
- Alternatively, the topping can also be frozen in a food bag
- Peel the apples, core them and cut them into rough pieces
- Meanwhile, place the apple cubes in a large pot with lemon juice to prevent them from browning
- Add the sugar and cornstarch to the pot and cook gently until the apples become soft
- If the mixture becomes too thick and sticky, add some gooseberries and a splash of water to loosen it up
- Add the remaining gooseberries and lemon zest and cook for another 1-2 minutes until slightly softened
- The apple and gooseberry mixture can be refrigerated for up to 24 hours or frozen for up to 3 months
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/140°C fan/gas 3
- Pour the fruit mixture into a baking dish
- Sprinkle streusel mixture on top
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until piping hot
- Serve with liquid cream, vanilla ice cream or vanilla sauce
Equipment and tools
- mixing bowl
- baking pan
- wooden spoon
- measuring spoon
- measuring cup
This recipe contains hazelnuts and wheat. Please check your ingredient labels to ensure they are appropriate for your dietary needs.
Storage and leftovers
Leftover gooseberry flapjack crumble can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the oven or microwave before serving.
Health Benefits of Gooseberry Flapjack Crumble
Gooseberry flapjack crumble not only satisfies your taste buds but also offers numerous health benefits due to its nutrient-rich ingredients. From the antioxidant benefits of gooseberries to the fiber-rich oats, this dessert is a wonderful way to incorporate healthy elements into your diet. Let’s delve deeper into the health benefits of each ingredient:
Eating apples offers numerous health benefits. They are a great source of fiber, which aids digestion and helps maintain a healthy gut. Apples are also rich in essential vitamins like vitamin C, which boosts the immune system, and potassium, which supports heart health.
Incorporating lemon zest and juice into the Gooseberry Flapjack Crumble adds a refreshing touch and provides additional health benefits. Lemons are rich in vitamin C and antioxidants, which help fight free radicals in the body and strengthen the immune system.
Golden powdered sugar
While moderation in sugar consumption is key, using a controlled amount of golden powdered sugar in this recipe enhances the flavor of the streusel. However, it is important to note that to maintain overall health, excessive sugar intake should be avoided.
Gooseberries are the main ingredient in this dessert and come with a number of health benefits. They are rich in antioxidants such as vitamin C and polyphenols, which help protect cells from oxidative stress. Gooseberries are also known to aid digestion and can even help with weight management due to their low calorie and high fiber content.
Both jumbo rolled oats and rolled oats contribute to the flapjack crumble’s crunchy texture and provide important nutrients. Oats are an excellent source of fiber, especially beta-glucan, which helps lower cholesterol and promote heart health. They also provide a range of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
Hazelnuts add a crunchy touch to the streusel while providing various health benefits. They are a good source of healthy fats, including monounsaturated fats, which support heart health and reduce inflammation in the body. Hazelnuts also provide important vitamins and minerals such as vitamin E and magnesium.
Golden syrup, butter and demerara sugar
Although these ingredients primarily contribute to flavor and texture, it is important to consume them in moderation as they are high in calories and can negatively impact overall health if consumed in excess.
In summary, the gooseberry flapjack crumble recipe not only satisfies your sweet tooth but also offers a number of health benefits. Incorporating these nutritious ingredients into your diet can contribute to overall well-being. Remember to enjoy this delicious dessert in moderation for optimal health benefits.