Introducing our irresistible Gooseberry Crème Brûlée Tart, a heavenly treat that will amaze your guests with your culinary skills. This exquisite creation combines the delicate sweetness of seasonal berries with the buttery perfection of our homemade pastry base.
But what really sets this dessert apart is the finishing touches. With a quick blowtorch you can transform the icing into a tantalizingly crunchy and caramelized layer that can be cracked with every spoonful.
Whether it’s an elegant dinner party or an intimate get-together, this cake will steal the show and make your taste buds dance with joy. Don’t miss the chance to enjoy this sweet and crunchy masterpiece!
- 450g gooseberries
- 200g white powdered sugar
- 4 eggs
- 100 ml cream
- 500 g block pastries
- flour, for dusting
- Put the gooseberries in a pot with 100 g sugar and 100 ml water.
- Simmer for 8-10 minutes until the fruit is soft and the juice is syrupy.
- Place the fruit in a sieve over a jug and strain – you will need about 150ml of the syrupy juice.
- Place the pulp in a bowl and let cool.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs with 50 g sugar, then stir in the cream and gooseberry syrup.
- Strain through a sieve into another pitcher and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/140°C fan/gas 3.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to the thickness of a £1 coin, then lift it into a 23cm tart tin.
- Press down slightly on the bottom and sides to create a slight overhang.
- Line the tart with foil and fill it with baking beans.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then remove foil and beans and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Reduce oven to 150°C/130°C fan/gas 2.
- Distribute the pulp evenly over the cake base.
- Gently pour the cream mixture over the top to create 2 layers.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until the cream layer wobbles slightly.
- Remove from the oven and cut off the edges of the dough.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Sprinkle the remaining sugar on top, caramelize with a blowtorch if desired and serve immediately.
Equipment and tools
To prepare the delicious gooseberry crème brûlée cake, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- rolling pin
- 9-inch tart pan
- Baking beans or rice for blind baking
- mixing bowls
- wooden spoon
- Blowtorch (for caramelizing the sugar)
Please note the following allergen information for the Gooseberry Crème Brûlée Cake:
- Contains eggs
- Contains dairy products (double cream)
- May contain traces of nuts and gluten
Storage and leftovers
If there are any leftovers from the gooseberry crème brûlée cake, you can store them for later enjoyment. It is recommended:
- Allow the tart to cool completely.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap or store in an airtight container.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days.
When you’re ready to serve it, you can enjoy it chilled or bring it back to room temperature, whichever you prefer.
Remember to always check the specific recipe and its ingredients for any variations or additional information. Enjoy your delicious gooseberry creme brulee cake!
Health Benefits of Gooseberry Crème Brûlée Tart
The Gooseberry Crème Brûlée Tart is not only a delicious treat but also offers several health benefits. This tantalizing dessert combines the tartness of gooseberries with the creamy richness of a classic crème brûlée and is served in a crispy, sweet pastry crust. Let’s explore the nutritional benefits of the ingredients used in this delicious tart:
Gooseberries, which weigh about 450g in this recipe, are low in calories and rich in vitamins and minerals. These flavorful berries are full of vitamin C and will significantly boost your immune system. They also contain fiber, which supports digestion and contributes to a healthy intestine.
White powdered sugar
In moderation, the 200g of white icing sugar used in this recipe adds sweetness to the cake. However, it is important to note that excessive consumption of refined sugar can have negative health effects. Therefore, it is recommended to enjoy this dessert in moderation.
The four eggs used in the filling of the Gooseberry Crème Brûlée Tart provide important nutrients, including high-quality proteins, vitamins and minerals. Eggs are an excellent source of vitamin B12, which promotes brain function and red blood cell production. They also contain choline, an essential nutrient for brain development and function.
The 100ml double cream in this recipe gives the filling of the tart a richness and a smooth texture. Although cream is high in saturated fat, it can still provide some health benefits when consumed in moderation. It is a good source of energy and contains important fat-soluble vitamins such as vitamin A and vitamin K.
The gooseberry crème brûlée tart is accompanied by a 500g block of sweet pastry. While the pastry crust adds a delicious crunch to the dessert, it’s important to note that pastries are typically high in calories and unhealthy fats. It is advisable to consume pastries as an occasional treat and not as a regular part of your diet.
Overall, the Gooseberry Crème Brûlée Tart can be enjoyed as a tasty treat that takes advantage of the health benefits of its key ingredients. However, it is always important to balance indulgence with a balanced diet and consume desserts in moderation to maintain a healthy lifestyle.