Discover the exquisite flavors of our Golden Chicory in Prosciutto Wraps recipe, a delicious dish that combines delicate chicory leaves with the savory deliciousness of prosciutto. Please note that this recipe contains pork and is therefore only suitable for non-Muslims. However, if you prefer an alternative, you can easily replace the prosciutto with regular sliced honey roast ham.
- 2 heads of chicory, not too big
- 25g butter
- 4 slices of prosciutto or serrano ham
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 75 ml vegetable stock or white wine if you have it
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 4 slices, approx. 50 g of well-melting cheese (Cheddar or Gruyère are ideal)
- 50 ml whipped cream, optional
- sautéed potatoes and green salad to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6/fan 180°C.
- Make crosswise cuts from the base to the tip of each chicory head.
- Fill the slots with butter.
- Place the prosciutto or ham slices in pairs, slightly overlapping, on the work surface.
- Spread the ham with mustard.
- Place the chicory on the ham.
- Roll each endive head away from you and wrap it tightly in the ham.
- Place the wrapped chicory in a small ovenproof dish or pan.
- Pour the broth or wine over the wrapped chicory.
- Top with the thyme sprigs.
- Cover the mold with loose foil.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until the chicory is soft.
- Cover the bowl.
- Place the cheese slices over the chicory.
- Bake, uncovered, for another 6-8 minutes until the cheese melts and is golden brown.
- The chicory is now ready to serve.
- For a special touch, remove the chicory.
- Place the pan over medium heat and cook the juice and cream until rich and syrupy, 4-5 minutes.
- Pour the sauce over the chicory.
- Serve with fried potatoes and salad.
Equipment and tools
- cutting board
- frying pan
- Basting brush
- baking pan
This recipe contains dairy (butter, cheese, heavy cream) and pork (prosciutto or serrano ham). Make sure you pay attention to any specific allergies or dietary restrictions.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They last up to 2 days. To reheat, preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and place the wraps in a baking dish. Cover with foil and bake until heated through, 10-15 minutes.
Health Benefits of Golden Chicory
Golden chicory, also called Belgian endive, is a nutritious leafy vegetable that offers several health benefits. Incorporating it into delicious dishes like Golden Chicory in Prosciutto Wraps not only improves the taste but also increases the nutritional value of the meal.
Rich in fiber
Golden chicory is an excellent source of fiber, which plays a crucial role in maintaining a healthy digestive system. Including fiber-rich foods like chicory in your diet can promote regular bowel movements, prevent constipation, and support healthy weight management.
Vitamin C and antioxidants
This golden vegetable is packed with vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant that protects your body from damage caused by harmful free radicals. Vitamin C also strengthens the immune system, supports collagen synthesis and promotes healthy skin.
If you’re watching your calorie intake, golden chicory is a good choice. With just a few calories per serving, it can be a filling addition to your meals without adding excessive calories. This makes it suitable for weight-conscious people or people who want to maintain a healthy weight.
Source of vitamins and minerals
Golden chicory contains several essential vitamins and minerals, including vitamin K, vitamin A, potassium and calcium. These nutrients play an important role in maintaining strong bones, supporting optimal vision, regulating blood pressure and promoting overall well-being.
The presence of polyphenols in golden chicory gives it anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce inflammation in the body. Eating foods with anti-inflammatory properties can help prevent chronic diseases that involve inflammation, such as heart disease, arthritis and certain cancers.