Get ready to add some glitz and glamor to your Christmas with these adorable “Glitz & Glam” Bauble Fancys! This recipe shows you how to transform a traditional fruit cake into adorable personalized gifts or festive table markers for your Christmas dinner. All you need is a touch of fondant icing and a celebratory cocktail of your choice. Not only are these little treats delicious, but they also add an elegant and fun touch to your holiday celebrations. Spread the magic of the season with these cute and creative Christmas baubles!
- 1 x 22cm square Christmas cake that goes well with everyone (recipe can be found under “Goes well with”)
- approx. 600 g marzipan
- 140g apricot jam
- 1kg pack of fondant icing sugar plus a little sugar for dusting
- different food colors
- approx. 140g/5oz ready-to-roll fondant icing
- Sprinkles, for decorating
- colored cocktail sticks for decorating
- Cards to decorate
- Using a ruler, cut your cake into 4cm x 4cm squares with a small serrated knife, resulting in 16 mini cakes.
- Divide your marzipan into 16 equal pieces.
- Lightly dust your work surface with a little powdered sugar and roll each piece of marzipan into a thin circle.
- Spread the top and sides of a cake square with some jam, then turn it over to insert it into the center of the marzipan.
- Turn the cake upright, smooth the marzipan along the sides of the cake so it sticks, then trim any excess marzipan from the bottom.
- Repeat this process to cover all of your mini cakes.
- Place the powdered sugar in a large mixing bowl and stir in just enough water to create a thick but pourable glaze.
- Divide the icing into as many bowls as you want different colors and add a little food coloring to each.
- Place your cakes on a rack in a tray or on paper towels.
- Drizzle some frosting over each cake until the top and sides are covered – you can repeat the process until all the frosting is used up.
- Leave on for 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- Divide the rolled icing into 16 equal balls.
- Add a splash of water to a shallow saucer and sprinkle the sprinkles into others.
- One at a time, roll each icing ball in the water to moisten it, then immediately roll it into sprinkles to cover (if kids are helping and the balls get too wet, have them roll the balls on damp pieces of paper towels instead ).
- Pierce each ball with a cocktail stick and leave it next to the cake.
- Finally, cut the card into small flags and attach them to the sticks with some adhesive tape.
- Add a name, number or Christmas message to each and let the celebrations begin!
Equipment and tools
For this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- A square baking dish with a diameter of 22 cm
- An oven
- parchment paper
- A rolling pin
- A sharp knife or a cake smoother
- A pastry brush
- A mixing bowl
- A spatula or wooden spoon
- Fondant rolling pin
- Cookie cutters in different shapes
- Decoration tools (e.g. brushes, piping bags)
Please note the following allergen information for this recipe:
- Contains nuts (marzipan)
- May contain traces of gluten and dairy depending on the ingredients used in the cake
Storage and leftovers
Here are some guidelines for storing and handling leftover Glitz & Glam Bauble Fancies:
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
- If desired, individual fantasy pieces can be wrapped in cling film or placed in small gift boxes to give away.
- Avoid exposing the jewelry to direct sunlight or high temperatures to prevent the colors from melting or fading.
- Leftover fondant icing can be tightly wrapped in plastic wrap and stored in the refrigerator for later use.
- Before serving, check leftovers for signs of spoilage and discard if necessary.
Health Benefits of Glitz & Glam Bauble Fancies
While Glitz & Glam Bauble Fancies may be a delightful treat for the eyes, did you know that this festive treat can also provide some surprising health benefits? Let’s examine the ingredients used in this recipe and their potential benefits:
Marzipan is mainly made from almonds, sugar and egg whites. Almonds are the main ingredient and are rich in healthy fats, fiber, proteins, vitamins and minerals. They are associated with various health benefits, including improved heart health, reduced inflammation, and better blood sugar control. Please note that marzipan should only be consumed in moderation due to its high sugar content.
Apricot jam gives these balls a special flavor. Apricots are a good source of vitamins A and C, potassium and fiber. These nutrients are important for maintaining healthy skin, boosting the immune system, improving digestion and supporting overall well-being. However, keep in mind that jam usually contains a lot of added sugar. It is therefore advisable to consume them sparingly.
Fondant powdered sugar
Fondant powdered sugar serves as the main coating for these balls. Although it’s mostly made of powdered sugar, it’s worth noting that consuming large amounts of powdered sugar isn’t particularly healthy. However, using fondant powdered sugar in moderation can add a decorative touch to these treats.
Ready-made fondant icings for rolling out
Ready-to-roll fondant icing can be used to create colorful and eye-catching designs on the Christmas tree balls. They are generally low in fat and cholesterol, but should be consumed in moderation due to their high sugar content.
Sprinkles and decorations
The use of sprinkles and decorative elements such as colored cocktail sticks and cards enhances the visual appeal of the ball fantasy. Although they don’t provide any significant health benefits, they certainly make these special occasion treats more enjoyable.