The Ginger Flapjacks recipe introduces our delicious twist on traditional oat bars and offers a unique taste experience. Infused with the rich flavor of coconut, these bars add a tropical twist to this classic treat. Coated in a tantalizingly soft and fiery layer of ginger, every bite is a hint of warming spice that will awaken your taste buds. Perfectly balanced, these flapjacks offer a harmonious mix of textures to satisfy your appetite. Try these delicious Ginger Flapjacks for a refreshingly delicious twist on a popular favorite dish!
- 250g butter, plus some butter for the tin
- 200 g light muscovado sugar
- 5 tbsp golden syrup
- 200g porridge
- 100 g whole oat flakes
- 140g plain flour
- 50g desiccated coconut
- 175g butter
- 200g powdered sugar
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- 2 tbsp ground ginger
- a few pieces of crystallized ginger, diced
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Butter a square baking pan (20-21 cm) and line it with baking paper.
- Carefully melt butter, sugar and syrup in a large pan.
- Add the oats, flour and coconut and mix well.
- Press the mixture into the pan so it flattens evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
- To make the glaze, place the butter, powdered sugar, syrup and ground ginger in a small pan and heat gently, stirring, until everything is melted.
- Pour directly over the flapjacks, sprinkle with the diced ginger and let cool in the tin.
Equipment and tools
To make these delicious ginger flapjacks you will need the following equipment and tools:
- baking tray
- mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon or spatula
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Baking paper or greased foil
The ginger flapjacks contain the following allergens:
- butter (milk)
- Light muscovado sugar (may contain traces of molasses)
- Golden syrup (contains wheat)
- Oatmeal (gluten)
- Whole grain oats (gluten)
- Plain flour (gluten)
- Desiccated coconut (may contain traces of nuts)
- Powdered sugar (may contain wheat)
- Ground ginger
- Crystallized ginger (may contain sulfites)
Storage and leftovers
Store the ginger flapjacks in an airtight container at room temperature. They last up to 5 days. If you want to enjoy them longer, you can freeze them for up to 3 months.
Leftover ginger flapjacks are perfect as a quick snack or dessert throughout the week. Just grab one whenever you need a tasty treat.
Health Benefits of Ginger Flapjacks
Health Benefits of Ginger Flapjacks
Not only are ginger flapjacks a delicious treat, but they also offer several health benefits. The combination of ingredients in this recipe makes it a nutritious snack that can boost your overall well-being. Let’s take a look at some of the health benefits:
1. Digestive aid
Ginger, both ground and crystallized, contains gingerol, a bioactive compound with powerful digestive properties. Consuming ginger can help relieve indigestion, bloating, and nausea. It stimulates the production of digestive enzymes that promote smooth digestion and nutrient absorption.
2. Anti-inflammatory properties
Ginger has powerful anti-inflammatory properties due to its active ingredients called gingerols. These compounds have been shown to reduce inflammation in the body and can potentially relieve conditions such as arthritis and muscle soreness. Including ginger in your diet can provide natural relief from chronic inflammation.
3. Immune booster
Ginger is known for its immune-boosting properties. It is rich in antioxidants that boost the immune system and fight harmful free radicals. Including ginger flapjacks in your diet can contribute to a stronger immune system and reduce the risk of infections and illnesses.
4. Energy boost
The combination of oats, porridge and butter in ginger flapjacks ensures a sustained release of energy. Oats are a complex carbohydrate and high in fiber, which helps maintain stable blood sugar levels and keeps you feeling fuller for longer. The natural sugars of golden syrup and muscovado sugar provide an instant energy boost.
5. Nutritional value
Ginger flapjacks contain a number of nutritious ingredients. Oats are rich in fiber, vitamins and minerals, including manganese, phosphorus and magnesium. Coconut adds healthy fats and provides important nutrients like iron and zinc. Butter, when consumed in moderation, contains fat-soluble vitamins such as vitamins A and E. These ingredients together make ginger flapjacks a well-rounded and nutritious snack option.
Indulging in ginger flapjacks not only satisfies your sweet tooth but also offers a number of health benefits. Whether you enjoy them as a midday snack or a delicious dessert, be sure to enjoy the taste and benefit from ginger’s natural healing powers.