Gado-gado salad is a popular Indonesian dish that is a feast for the taste buds. This traditional recipe combines a range of fresh and vibrant ingredients, creating a harmonious balance of flavors and textures. The salad consists of a colorful mix of blanched vegetables such as cabbage, green beans and carrots, topped with a rich and nutty peanut sauce. The addition of tofu, tempeh and boiled eggs provides a protein-rich effect. Gado-gado salad is not only visually appealing but also a delicious combination of sweet, savory and spicy flavors.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 200g firm tofu, cut into small pieces
- 250 g boiled potatoes (leftover fried potatoes work well), cut into pieces
- 3 eggs
- 100g green beans, halved lengthwise
- 250 g Chinese cabbage, finely grated
- ½ cucumber (or 1 baby cucumber), cut into thin slices
- 100g bean sprouts
- 1 carrot, grated
- a handful of coriander, leaves picked and roughly chopped
- a handful of shrimp crackers
- 4 tbsp crispy onions
- 50g peanut butter
- 3 tbsp Kecap Manis (or 2 ½ tbsp soy sauce and ½ tbsp honey)
- 2 tsp shrimp paste or dried crayfish
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp soft dark brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 fat red chilies (I like Scotch Bonnets – use only 1 if you don’t like it too spicy), finely chopped
- 150 ml coconut milk
- Juice 1 lime
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok.
- Bring a small pot of water to the boil.
- Fry the tofu for a few minutes on each side until brown and crispy.
- Place the tofu on a plate.
- Add the potatoes to the pan and cook for a few minutes until heated through and crispy.
- Place the potatoes on the same plate and set aside to cool.
- Add the eggs to the boiling water and cook for 7 minutes.
- Dip the eggs in cold water.
- Fill the pot with fresh water and bring to the boil.
- Add the beans and cook until just tender, 2-3 minutes.
- Drain the beans and let them cool under cold water.
- Mix peanut butter and Kecap Manis in a bowl. Mash with a fork until smooth.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients for the peanut dressing.
- Place tofu, potatoes, beans, cabbage, cucumber, bean sprouts, carrots and cilantro in a large bowl or platter.
- Drizzle half of the dressing over the top and save the rest for self-serve.
- Break up the shrimp crackers and distribute over the salad.
- Peel the eggs, quarter them and serve with the crispy onions.
- Mix everything together shortly before serving.
Equipment and tools
Before you start preparing Gado Gado salad, make sure you have the following equipment and tools:
- frying pan
- Big pot
- slotted spoon
- mixing bowl
- A garlic press
Please note the following allergen information for the Gado Gado salad:
- This recipe contains tofu, which is made from soy and may not be suitable for those with soy allergies.
- Peanut butter is used in the dressing, so this recipe is not suitable for those with peanut allergies.
- The shrimp crackers used as a side dish may contain shellfish, so people with shellfish allergies should avoid them.
- Other common allergens that may appear in this recipe include eggs, fish sauce, and coconut milk. Please pay attention to the allergen labeling on the respective product packaging.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftover gado gado salad, follow these storage guidelines:
- Cool the salad completely before storing it.
- Transfer the salad to an airtight container.
- Store the salad in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- Before serving the leftovers, check the quality and discard any spoiled or bad-smelling portions.
- Please note that the consistency and freshness of the salad may change slightly after it has cooled.
Health Benefits of Gado Gado Salad
Gado-gado salad is a traditional Indonesian dish that offers numerous health benefits. Packed with nutritious ingredients and a delicious peanut sauce, this salad makes for a filling and healthy meal.
Tofu is a common ingredient in gado gado salad and is an excellent source of plant-based protein. It is also rich in calcium, iron and magnesium, which are minerals important for bone health.
Adding potatoes to gado gado salad provides a good source of carbohydrates, fiber and vitamin C. Potatoes are also rich in potassium, which plays an important role in maintaining blood pressure and heart health.
Green beans are rich in vitamins and minerals. They are a great source of fiber and contain important nutrients such as vitamin K, vitamin C and folic acid. These nutrients contribute to healthy digestion, immune function and cell growth.
Chinese cabbage, also called Napa cabbage, is a cruciferous vegetable that is low in calories but high in nutrients. It offers a good amount of fiber, vitamin C, vitamin K and folic acid. Including Chinese cabbage in your diet can aid digestion and promote overall health.
Cucumber adds a refreshing tang to the gado gado salad, moisturizes and is a good source of vitamins and minerals. It is low in calories and has a high water content, making it an excellent choice for weight control and hydration.
Bean sprouts are a common ingredient in Asian cuisine and offer a number of health benefits. They are packed with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that contribute to improved digestion, immune function and skin health.
Carrots are known for their high content of beta-carotene, which is converted into vitamin A in the body. Vitamin A is essential for healthy vision, immune function and skin health. Adding grated carrots to gado gado salad increases its nutritional value.
Coriander not only adds flavor to gado gado salad but also brings health benefits. It is rich in antioxidants and is traditionally used in herbal medicine for its anti-inflammatory properties.
Peanut butter is a main ingredient in the dressing for gado gado salad. It provides a good source of healthy fats, proteins and fiber. It can help reduce the risk of heart disease, aid weight management, and provide a feeling of satiety.
Coconut milk gives the peanut sauce in the gado gado salad a creamy and rich texture. It contains healthy medium-chain fatty acids that support brain health and can provide a source of energy.
The lime juice gives the gado gado salad a hint of tangy flavor. It is a good source of vitamin C, which is crucial for immune function, collagen synthesis and iron absorption.
With its combination of proteins, fiber, vitamins and minerals, Gado Gado salad is not only a delicious dish but also a nutritious addition to your diet. Try it and enjoy the health benefits it brings!