Treat your taste buds to the rich and decadent indulgence of our Fudgy Fig Roll. This unique twist on the classic cookie combines a Swiss roll with aromatic nutmeg and cinnamon. But that’s not all! We went a step further and incorporated ripe bananas into the light and fluffy sponge cake, giving it a delicious sweetness. To enrich the experience, a generous drizzle of delicious fig jam adds a touch of fruitiness. Savor every bite of this heavenly creation as it takes your taste buds on a blissful flavor journey.
- 140g soft dried figs, chopped
- 1 medium-sized, very ripe banana
- Piece of butter for greasing
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 225g light muscovado sugar
- 120g wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- well grated fresh nutmeg (optional)
- 4 tbsp golden powdered sugar
- 300 ml cream
- 4 tbsp powdered sugar, sifted
- approx. 250-300g fig jam or preserves
Bananas not ripe enough?
Place one in the freezer – ideally overnight – and thaw carefully in the microwave (or at room temperature) the next day. It should now be squishy, perfect for baking a cake.
- Cover the figs in a bowl with boiling water and set aside for 30 minutes to soften.
- Drain and mash well with the banana.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan/gas 5.
- Grease a Swiss roll tin (approx. 34 x 24 cm).
- Line the base with baking paper.
- Separate the eggs and collect the whites in a large, clean bowl.
- Beat with an electric whisk until stiff peaks form at the end of the whisk.
- Add half the sugar and beat until a thick, glossy mixture forms.
- In another mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks with the remaining sugar until light.
- Stir in the crushed fig mixture.
- Fold this mixture into the meringue mixture until well combined.
- Mix flour, baking soda, spices and a pinch of salt.
- Sprinkle it over the wet mixture and gently fold it in again until well combined.
- Carefully scrape out the dough and spread it into the mold.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until springy to the touch.
- Meanwhile, place a clean tea towel on the bench.
- Sprinkle the powdered sugar over the towel.
- Turn the cake over onto the towel.
- Peel off the parchment and then use the tea towel to roll it up from the shortest side into a jelly roll.
- Remove to a rack to cool completely.
- Gently roll out the cake.
- Beat the cream and powdered sugar with an electric mixer until soft.
- Spread the fig jam on the cake and then spread the cream on top.
- Roll up again and slice to serve.
Equipment and tools
Before you begin making the Fudgy Fig Roll, make sure you have the following equipment and tools:
- Sharp knife
- mixing bowl
- wooden spoon
- 20cm x 30cm rectangular baking tin
- baking paper
- Butter for greasing
- measuring spoon
The Fudgy Fig Roll recipe contains the following allergens:
- Wheat (whole wheat flour)
Please be aware of these allergens if you or someone you are cooking for has allergies or intolerances.
Storage and leftovers
Follow these instructions to store the Fudgy Fig Roll:
- Allow the cake to cool completely.
- After cooling, cut the roll into slices.
- Place the slices in an airtight container or wrap them individually in plastic wrap.
- Store in a cool, dry place for up to 3 days.
If there are any leftovers, you can freeze them for later. Wrap the slices tightly in plastic wrap and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Health Benefits of Fudgy Fig Roll
The Fudgy Fig Roll is not only a delicious treat but also offers several health benefits. Let’s take a closer look at the ingredients and their benefits:
1. Soft dried figs
Figs are a good source of fiber, which aids digestion and helps maintain regular bowel movements. They also contain essential minerals like potassium, magnesium and calcium, which promote optimal heart health and support strong bones.
2. Ripe banana
Bananas are known for their potassium content, which is crucial for maintaining proper heart and muscle function. They are also rich in vitamins, especially vitamin C and vitamin B6, which support the immune system and contribute to energy production.
3. Whole wheat flour
Compared to white flour, whole wheat flour is less refined and therefore healthier. It contains more nutrients, including fiber, which aids digestion, helps control blood sugar levels and promotes satiety.
4. Sodium bicarbonate
Baking soda, also known as baking powder, has various health benefits. It can help relieve indigestion, neutralize stomach acid, and relieve heartburn symptoms. It is also used as a leavening agent in baking and gives baked goods a light and fluffy consistency.
5. Cinnamon and nutmeg
Cinnamon and nutmeg are both spices that not only add flavor but also provide health benefits. They have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that may help reduce inflammation in the body and protect against chronic diseases.
6. Double cream
While Double Cream is high in fat and should be consumed in moderation, it can provide a good source of energy and important vitamins such as Vitamin A. It gives the Fudgy Fig Roll more body and creaminess and improves its taste and texture.
With these healthy ingredients, the Fudgy Fig Roll offers a delicious combination of taste and nutrition. Enjoy this treat knowing that it will not only satisfy your taste buds but also contribute to your overall well-being!