Treat yourself to the comforting flavors of fall with our delicious creation Fruity Spiced Swirls. These delicious jelly roll-style scones are bursting with the warmth of freshly baked apples and aromatic spices. Be enchanted by the heavenly scent that fills your kitchen as these treats are baked to perfection. Each bite offers a harmonious blend of sweet apples and comforting spices, making for a truly satisfying experience. Whether as a delicious breakfast or an afternoon treat, these strudels are guaranteed to be a fall favorite. Treat yourself to the irresistible goodness of Fruity Spiced Swirls and enjoy the flavors of the season.
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3 tbsp demerara sugar
- 4 tbsp softened butter
- 1 eating apple, peeled and finely chopped
- 85g raisins
- 350g self-raising flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 85g cold butter, cut into cubes
- 4 tbsp golden powdered sugar
- 150 g cup of natural, full-fat yogurt
- 4 tbsp whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tbsp milk, for glazing
- Beat ½ teaspoon of each spice and 2 tablespoons Demerara into the butter,
- Stir in apple and raisins.
- Mix the remaining spices with the flour.
- Place the flour mixture, salt and baking powder in a food processor.
- Stir in the butter until it disappears.
- Stir in the sugar.
- Place the mixture in a large bowl.
- Form a well in the middle of the bowl.
- Heat yogurt, milk, and vanilla together in the microwave or in a skillet for 1 minute until hot.
- Pour the warm mixture into the bowl.
- Using a cutlery knife, quickly incorporate the mixture into the flour mixture.
- Stop mixing once all of the mixture is blended.
- Place a flat baking tray in the oven at 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface.
- Roll out the dough to approximately 40 x 30 cm.
- Spread the fruity butter on the rolled out dough.
- Roll up the dough from the long side and carefully fold over the ends.
- Cut the rolled out dough into 10 triangles.
- Brush the triangles with egg yolk.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon Demerara over the triangles.
- Flour the baking sheet.
- Bake the triangles for 14 minutes, until golden brown and risen.
- Eat warm, with more butter if desired.
Equipment and tools
- mixing bowl
- Whisk or spoon for mixing
- baking paper
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products (butter, yogurt, milk)
Please be sure to check if there are other allergens that may meet your dietary needs or restrictions.
Storage and leftovers
Store the fruity-spiced swirls in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2-3 days. They are best enjoyed fresh, but you can also warm them in the oven or microwave before serving if desired.
Health benefits of fruity-spiced strudels
Fruity-spiced strudels are not only a delicious treat, but are also full of health benefits. Not only are these pastries a delicious treat, but they also contain important nutrients and can be enjoyed as part of a balanced diet. Let’s explore the health benefits of the key ingredients found in fruity spice swirls.
Cinnamon, one of the main spices in this recipe, has been used for centuries for its potential health benefits. It is known for its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, which may help reduce the risk of chronic diseases, including heart disease and diabetes. Additionally, cinnamon may have antimicrobial properties and help balance blood sugar levels.
Nutmeg, another spice used in these strudels, not only adds flavor but also offers several health benefits. The active ingredients are said to have antibacterial and anti-inflammatory effects. Nutmeg can also aid digestion, improve brain function and contribute to oral health.
The addition of finely chopped apple gives the fruity-spiced strudels both sweetness and nutritional value. Apples are an excellent source of fiber, which promotes healthy digestion and helps maintain regular bowel movements. They also contain antioxidants and vitamin C, which are essential for boosting the immune system and fighting oxidative stress.
Raisins, dried grapes, are rich in fiber, vitamins and minerals. They provide a concentrated source of energy and are particularly beneficial for their iron content, which supports the production of red blood cells and aids in the transport of oxygen throughout the body. Raisins also contain antioxidants that may help protect against cell damage.
Using self-rising flour in this recipe provides a convenient way to make fluffy pastries. Although it does not provide significant nutritional benefits, it serves as a good source of carbohydrates, which is the body’s main source of energy.
Natural whole yogurt adds creaminess and moisture to the swirls while providing probiotics, beneficial bacteria that help maintain a healthy gut. Probiotics can improve digestion, support the immune system and may even have a positive effect on mental health.
Baking powder helps to loosen the dough, resulting in a light and airy consistency. It is a common ingredient in baking recipes, but does not provide any significant nutritional value on its own.
milk and egg
The combination of milk and egg serves multiple functions in this recipe. Milk adds moisture to the dough and contributes to browning and flavor development during baking. Eggs serve as a binding agent and ensure a shiny golden glaze on the pastry.
As you can see, fruity-spiced strudels offer more than just delicious taste and texture. With the health benefits offered by ingredients like cinnamon, nutmeg, apples, raisins and yogurt, enjoying these swirls can be a guilt-free treat that nourishes the body and soul.