Kids can learn to melt chocolate with this easy recipe – a perfect homemade gift.
Introducing our delicious “Fruit & Nut Chocolate Checkers”! This recipe not only guarantees an entertaining experience, but also results in a delicious treat that will leave you wanting more. Watch little ones learn the art of melting chocolate and creating a creamy base for these delicious, bite-sized treats. The mix of juicy fruits and crunchy nuts ensures the perfect balance of flavors and textures, making every dish a delicious surprise! These homemade treats are ideal for gifting to loved ones and show the love and effort that went into their creation. Let creativity and chocolaty deliciousness merge in this exciting cooking adventure!
- 150g white chocolate
- 1 tbsp dried raspberry flakes
- 8 roasted almonds, halved
- 8 pecan halves
- 8 pinches of cocoa for dusting
- 150g dark chocolate
- 1 tbsp candied peel
- 1 tbsp dried cranberries or raisins
- 8 sweetened cashews
Other flavors to try
Chopped crystallized ginger; hazelnut and raisins; crushed
extra strong mints; chopped fudge; broken peanut brittle; chocolate covered nuts; colorful candies like Smarties; dried strawberry and currant flakes.A few golden rules
Be strict with food hygiene. Get kids
to wash your hands before cooking and
Keep children from eating this
Chocolate from the bowls or licking
with your fingers until the chocolates are ready
made – however tempting!
Never leave children unattended,
especially when preparing with sharp knives
Knives, graters, boiling water and hot pans.
- Roughly chop the chocolate on a cutting board using a large, sharp knife.
- Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Place two heatproof mixing bowls on pans half filled with water.
- Pour the chocolate into the bowls and let it melt over low heat.
- Gently stir the chocolate once or twice as it begins to melt around the edges of the bowl.
- Remove the bowls from the heat.
- Using a teaspoon, spoon the melted chocolate onto the paper in round shapes.
- Try to make them as even as possible, so 16 of each type of chocolate.
- Leave a teaspoon of the white chocolate in the bowl for later.
- For the white pralines, chop the raspberry flakes and sprinkle on half of the pralines.
- Cover the raspberry slices with 2 almond halves.
- Place a pecan on top of the remaining circles and drizzle over some of the remaining chocolate.
- Sprinkle with cocoa.
- For the dark chocolate, sprinkle half of the circles with candied peel.
- Sprinkle the other half with chopped cranberries and sugared cashews.
- Alternatively, you can try a combination of all the toppings.
- Allow the chocolates to set and harden for about 3 hours.
- The dark chocolate will set before the white.
- Pack the chocolates carefully in a box.
- They last for a week.
Equipment and tools
To make fruit and nut chocolate chips you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Bowls for melting chocolate
- Knife for chopping candied peels and dried cranberries or raisins
- cutting board
- Tablespoon for measuring ingredients
- Grater for grating chocolate
- Tablespoon for shaping and dusting chocolates
- Sharp knife for cutting almonds and pecans
- Boiling water to melt the chocolate (note: adult supervision required)
Please note that the fruit and nut chocolate contains the following allergens:
- Nuts (almonds, pecans, cashews)
- Dairy products (white chocolate, dark chocolate)
If you or any of your guests have allergies or dietary restrictions, please take this into consideration before consuming this recipe.
Storage and leftovers
After making fruit and nut chocolate chips, it is important to store them properly and be careful with any leftovers. Here are a few tips:
- Store the chocolates in an airtight container to preserve freshness.
- You can store them at room temperature for up to 5 days.
- For longer storage, you can store the chocolates in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- If the chocolates become too soft, let them chill in the fridge for a while so that they firm up.
Health Benefits of Fruit & Nut Chocolate Checkers
The delicious combination of fruits and nuts in Fruit & Nut Chocolate Checkers not only satisfies your sweet tooth, but also provides several health benefits. Let’s take a closer look at the ingredients and their benefits:
The recipe calls for 150g of white chocolate, which gives the checks a smooth and creamy texture. Although white chocolate is not as nutrient-dense as dark chocolate, it still contains calcium and phosphorus, which contribute to bone health. However, due to its high sugar and calorie content, it is important to consume white chocolate in moderation.
Dried raspberry flakes
A tablespoon of dried raspberry flakes gives the Karos a hint of tangy flavor. Raspberries are full of antioxidants that fight inflammation and protect against chronic diseases. They also provide fiber, vitamin C and manganese, which support a healthy immune system and aid digestion.
Roasted almonds and pecan halves
The recipe contains 8 roasted almond halves and 8 pecan halves, which provide a wonderfully crunchy and nutty taste. Almonds are a great source of healthy fats, protein and fiber. They are also rich in vitamin E, which acts as an antioxidant and helps protect cells from damage. Pecans are rich in minerals like zinc and magnesium and provide heart-healthy monounsaturated fats.
A pinch of cocoa is used to dust the checks, which underlines their visual appearance. Cocoa powder is made from fermented and roasted cocoa beans, which are rich in flavonoids. Flavonoids have antioxidant properties and may help lower blood pressure, improve heart health and increase brain function.
The recipe also contains 150g of dark chocolate, which is known for its higher cocoa content and lower sugar content compared to milk and white chocolate. Dark chocolate is a powerful source of antioxidants and may have numerous health benefits, including reducing the risk of heart disease, improving brain function and reducing inflammation.
Candied peels and dried cranberries or raisins
A tablespoon of candied peel gives the karos a sweet and lemony flavor, while dried cranberries or raisins add a chewy texture and added natural sweetness. Both candied peels and dried fruits like cranberries and raisins are rich in fiber and antioxidants, which aid digestion and support overall health.
The recipe contains 8 sugared cashews, which give the Karos a delicious crunch and richness. Cashews are a good source of healthy monounsaturated fats and provide important minerals such as copper and magnesium. They also contain plant-based compounds like phytosterols and antioxidants, which have been linked to lower cholesterol and a reduction in inflammation.
Golden rules for preparation
When enjoying Fruit & Nut Chocolate Checkers, it is important to follow a few golden rules to ensure the health and safety of everyone involved:
- Be strict with food hygiene and encourage children to wash their hands before cooking and during preparation.
- Keep children from eating the chocolate or licking their fingers until the chocolate is ready, as tempting as that may be.
- Never leave children unattended, especially when cooking with sharp knives, graters, boiling water and hot pans.
By following these guidelines, you can enjoy the deliciousness of Fruit & Nut Chocolate Checkers while ensuring a safe and enjoyable cooking experience for the whole family.
Other flavors to try
If you’re feeling adventurous, you can experiment with various other flavors for your checks. Tasty combinations to consider include chopped crystallized ginger, hazelnuts and raisins, crushed extra-strength mints, chopped fudge, broken peanut brittle, chocolate-covered nuts, and colorful candies like Smarties. Explore these options to add variety and surprise your taste buds!