Introducing Lesley Waters’ delicious creation: frothy cannellini soup. This extraordinary soup impresses not only with its elegance, but also with its simplicity. Its velvety texture and delicious foam will make your taste buds dance with joy. Perfectly portioned, serve it in an adorable cappuccino cup to add a touch of sophistication. This delicious appetizer is guaranteed to impress your guests and set the stage for an unforgettable dining experience. Enjoy every spoonful of this frothy sensation and let the delicious flavors take you on an incomparable culinary journey.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 medium leek, thinly sliced
- 3 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 400g cans of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1.7 l vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 142 ml carton of double cream
- 150 g pot-fresh green pesto from the fridge
- 125g pack (approx. 16) sesame breadsticks, optional
With a frother
If you have a cappuccino frother, you can use it to give the soup a restaurant-like froth. Whisk each portion in the cup for a few seconds.
- Heat the oil in a large pot and add the onion, garlic, leek and celery.
- Cover and sauté the vegetables over low heat for 8-10 minutes until soft.
- Add the beans, broth and bay leaf, season and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and then simmer, covered, for 20-25 minutes until the vegetables are completely soft.
- Allow to cool slightly.
- Mix until smooth with a hand blender, pour in the cream and heat again.
- The soup can be refrigerated or frozen at this point.
- Before serving, add half of the pesto and stir again until the soup is sprinkled with basil.
- Season to taste.
- Pour the soup into 8 cappuccino cups or bowls and add a dollop of the remaining pesto to each portion.
Equipment and tools
To make this frothy cannellini soup you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Stock pot
- tin opener
- Blender or hand blender
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Cappuccino frother (optional)
This frothy cannellini soup recipe may contain allergens. Please note the following:
- This recipe contains dairy as it uses double cream. If you have a milk allergy, you can replace the double cream with a dairy-free alternative.
- If you have a sesame allergy, consider skipping the sesame bread sticks or replacing them with another bread product that is safe for you.
Storage and leftovers
Follow these guidelines to store leftover frothy cannellini soup:
- Allow the soup to cool completely before transferring it to an airtight container.
- Store the soup in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To reheat the soup, simply heat it gently on the stove until warmed through.
Health Benefits of Frothy Cannellini Soup
The delicious and comforting foam cannellini soup not only satisfies your taste buds but also offers numerous health benefits. Packed with nutritious ingredients, this soup is the perfect choice for anyone who wants to enjoy a tasty meal while supporting their well-being. Let’s explore the health benefits of its main ingredients:
1. Olive oil
Olive oil, used as the base for this soup, is not only a tasty cooking oil but is also known for its health benefits. It is rich in monounsaturated fats, which help reduce the risk of heart disease and lower bad cholesterol levels. Additionally, olive oil contains antioxidants with anti-inflammatory properties that support overall health.
2. Cannellini beans
Cannellini beans, the main ingredient in this soup, are a fantastic source of plant-based protein, making them an excellent choice for vegetarians and vegans. Protein is essential for building and repairing tissue, supporting muscle health, and strengthening the immune system. These beans are also rich in fiber, which aids digestion, promotes satiety, and helps maintain a healthy weight.
The combination of onions, garlic, leeks and celery in this soup not only enhances its flavor but also adds a variety of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. This vegetable provides important nutrients such as vitamin C, vitamin K and folic acid, which play an important role in supporting immune function, blood clotting, and cell growth and repair.
4. Vegetable broth
The vegetable broth used in this recipe provides a flavorful base while keeping the soup light and low in calories. It is typically made from various vegetables, herbs and spices that enrich the soup with essential nutrients and phytochemicals that support a healthy immune system and have anti-inflammatory effects.
5. Double cream
Although double cream adds a touch of richness to the soup, its high fat content means it’s important to consume it in moderation. However, a small amount of cream can provide a creamy consistency and add some healthy fats necessary for absorbing fat-soluble vitamins and providing long-lasting energy.
6. Green pesto
The fresh green pesto used as a side dish not only enhances the appearance of the soup, but also contributes to its taste and nutritional value. Pesto typically consists of basil, garlic, pine nuts, parmesan cheese and olive oil. Basil is a rich source of vitamin K and antioxidants, while garlic offers immune-boosting properties and heart health benefits.
7. Sesame bread sticks
While optional, sesame sticks can be a delicious addition to this soup. Sesame seeds contain healthy fats, fiber, and minerals like calcium and iron, which promote bone health and support cell function.
Frothy cannellini soup is a delicious and nutritious option to incorporate into your diet. The combination of healthy ingredients offers numerous health benefits, making it the perfect choice for a comforting and nutritious meal.