This delicious recipe for fried trout with bacon, almonds and beetroot is a culinary delight perfect for non-Muslims. The combination of tender, light pink fish with savory bacon and nutty almond crust creates a delicious dish that is sure to impress.
For a special touch, serve this delicious trout with a refreshingly warm watercress side salad with crunchy croutons. The contrasting flavors of fish, bacon, almonds and beetroot create a mix of taste experiences that will leave you wanting more.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 25g butter
- 3 trout fillets, boneless
- 200 g bacon fat
- ¼ loaf (approx. 140 g) sourdough bread, cut into croutons
- a handful of flaked almonds
- 85g bag of watercress
- 250 g beetroot (not pickled), cut into small pieces
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil with butter in a non-stick frying pan until sizzling.
- Place the trout in the pan, skin side down, and cook, basting frequently, until the skin is crispy and the meat is cooked through, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Turn the trout over and fry for another minute. Remove from the pan and keep warm.
- In the same pan, add the remaining oil and the bacon cubes. Fry until crispy, about 10 minutes.
- Put the croutons in the pan with the bacon cubes and fry until crispy.
- In a separate pan, toast the flaked almonds over medium heat until golden brown.
- In a small bowl, stir together the oil and vinegar for the dressing.
- Combine watercress, beetroot, bacon, croutons, almonds and dressing in a large bowl.
- Serve a trout fillet on each plate with the salad on the side.
Equipment and tools
- frying pan
- cutting board
- baking tray
- Food processor (optional)
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products – butter
- Gluten – sourdough bread
- Nuts – almonds
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply heat a skillet over medium-high heat, add a little oil, and gently heat the trout fillets until heated through.
Health benefits of fried trout with bacon, almonds and beetroot
The combination of delicious flavors in fried trout with bacon, almonds and beetroot not only provides a delicious culinary experience but also offers numerous health benefits. This dish contains key ingredients that promote heart health, provide essential nutrients and support overall well-being.
Trout fillets are the main source of protein in this recipe. In addition to being low in calories, trout is also an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, especially EPA and DHA. These healthy fats are associated with reducing inflammation, improving heart health, and supporting brain function.
2. Bacon grease
Although bacon is usually associated with high levels of sodium and saturated fat, using it in moderation gives this dish a special flavor. Bacon fat can provide a small amount of protein and important nutrients such as vitamin B12, iron and zinc.
Using flaked almonds in this recipe adds a delicious crunch while providing numerous health benefits. Almonds are packed with heart-healthy monounsaturated fats, fiber, and essential vitamins and minerals, including vitamin E and magnesium. They are associated with reducing the risk of heart disease and supporting healthy blood sugar levels.
Beets, known for their vibrant color, are a versatile and nutritious vegetable. It is rich in antioxidants, fiber, folic acid and potassium. The fiber in beets supports digestive health, while the nitrates they contain have been linked to improved blood pressure and increased exercise performance.
5. Olive oil
Both the olive oil used in cooking and as part of the dressing give this dish a healthy touch. Extra virgin olive oil is a monounsaturated fat that is considered one of the healthiest oils. It promotes heart health, helps reduce inflammation and provides valuable antioxidants.
The addition of watercress provides a refreshing, peppery flavor and an abundance of nutrients. This vibrant leafy green is an excellent source of vitamins A, C and K and is rich in antioxidants and minerals. It is known for its potential anti-cancer properties and ability to support bone health.
7. Red wine vinegar
A small amount of red wine vinegar is used in the dressing to enhance the flavor profile of this dish. Vinegar is associated with aiding digestion, aiding weight management, and improving blood sugar control.
By enjoying fried trout with bacon, almonds and beetroot, you not only pamper your taste buds, but also provide your body with a variety of useful nutrients. Remember to reap these health benefits while enjoying this delicious dish.