Treat yourself to a luxurious twist on the classic fish and chips with our Seared Sea Bass with Puttanesca Sauce and Celery Chips. This sophisticated dish combines the tender and flaky sea bass with a spicy and aromatic Italian-inspired tomato putanesca sauce. To perfectly complement the fish, we added crunchy celery chips, which give it a wonderfully earthy and crunchy texture. This is a truly impressive and unusual option for anyone looking for a gourmet seafood dish with a touch of Mediterranean influence. Try this recipe and add a touch of elegance to your fish and chips game.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- a pinch of dried chili flakes
- 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon small capers or 1 tablespoon large capers, chopped
- 6 pitted green olives, roughly chopped
- 250 g celeriac, peeled and cut into thin slices
- 200g kale, coarsely chopped
- piece of butter
- Squeeze out lemon juice
- 2 sea bass fillets, skin slightly cut
- small handful of parsley, chopped
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a frying pan.
- Add the onion, garlic and chili flakes to the pan.
- Cook over low heat for 10 minutes until tender.
- Add the tomatoes and ¼ can of water to the pan.
- Cook until thickened, 8 minutes.
- Stir in capers and olives.
- This can be done earlier in the day and refrigerated.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7.
- Place the celery on a nonstick baking sheet.
- Add another 1 tablespoon of oil, season and stir with your hands.
- Spread the celery thinly on the baking sheet.
- Roast for 25 minutes, stirring once, until golden brown and tender.
- Place the kale in a steamer and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Once ready, place a pat of butter on the kale.
- Squeeze some lemon juice over it and season.
- Heat the remaining oil in a non-stick frying pan.
- Season the fish fillets and place them in the pan, skin side down.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes until the skin is golden brown and the fish is almost cooked through.
- Turn the fish fillets over and cook for another 1-2 minutes, depending on their thickness.
- In the meantime, heat the sauce and season.
- Add parsley to the sauce.
- Divide the sauce between 2 plates.
- Top the sauce with the cooked fish fillets.
- Serve the dish with the celery chips and kale on the side.
Fried sea bass with puttanesca sauce and celery chips
Equipment and tools
- frying pan
- Sharp knife
- baking tray
- Aluminum foil
This recipe may contain the following allergens:
- Fish (sea bass)
- Olives (green olives)
Storage and leftovers
If there are any leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. To reheat, simply pan-fry the sea bass fillets and celery chips over medium heat until heated through.
Health Benefits of Seared Sea Bass with Puttanesca Sauce and Celery Chips
Sea bass is a popular fish known for its delicate flavor and meaty texture. When combined with nutritious ingredients like puttanesca sauce and celery chips, it becomes a powerhouse of health benefits. Let’s explore some of the benefits this delicious recipe offers:
1. Rich in Omega-3 fatty acids
Sea bass is an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, particularly EPA and DHA. These essential fats are known to promote heart health, reduce inflammation, and support brain function. Regular consumption of sea bass can contribute to a healthy cardiovascular system and general well-being.
2. Antioxidant boost from puttanesca sauce
The puttanesca sauce gives the dish an explosion of flavor while providing a range of antioxidants. Tomatoes, capers, and olives are all rich in antioxidants, which protect your cells from free radical damage. Antioxidants also play a role in reducing the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease and certain types of cancer.
3. Nutrient-rich celeriac chips
Celeriac, also known as celery root, is a low-calorie vegetable that offers several health benefits. When turned into chips, these thin sticks provide a satisfying crunch without the guilt of traditional potato chips. Celery is an excellent source of fiber, vitamin C, vitamin K and antioxidants. Including celery chips in your diet can aid digestion, boost the immune system and support bone health.
4. Kale for added nutritional value
Often touted as a superfood, kale adds another layer of nutrition to this sea bass recipe. This leafy green is packed with vitamins A, C, and K, as well as calcium, iron, and antioxidants. Kale is known for its potential anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer and detoxifying properties. Including kale in your diet can help boost your immune system and promote overall health.
5. Parsley for freshness and more
Parsley not only adds a touch of freshness and flavor to the dish, but also brings some health benefits. It is a rich source of vitamins A, C and K as well as iron and folic acid. Parsley is believed to have anti-inflammatory and diuretic properties, supporting kidney health and reducing water retention.
With its combination of omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, essential nutrients and fresh herbs, this Seared Sea Bass with Puttanesca Sauce and Celery Chips is not only a treat for your taste buds but also a nutritious choice for your health. Enjoy this healthy dish knowing that it contributes to your well-being in more ways than one!