If you want to give your guests something special and impressive, this delicious recipe for fried sea bass with chili and lime leaves is for you. The combination of juicy sea bass, fiery chili and aromatic lime leaves creates a delicious dish that will delight your taste buds. The sea bass is perfectly roasted, resulting in a delicate texture that melts in your mouth. The vibrant flavors of the chili and lime leaves complement the fish perfectly, providing a tempting kick and refreshing spice. This recipe is sure to impress and leave your guests wanting more.
- 2 tablespoons each of sunflower oil, sesame oil and powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons each of Thai fish sauce and rice wine vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 red onions, sliced very thinly
- 2 fennel bulbs, halved and sliced very thinly
- 1 fresh red chili pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 3 lime leaves, very finely chopped
- 4 tsp very finely chopped lemongrass
- 5 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- 2 x 675 g sea bass, scaled and filleted
- 6 long outer leaves of spring onions, or two leaves knotted together for tying (see “Try it” below)
Tie the fish together
Make it easier by placing the scallions on the baking sheet to bind the fish and then placing the fillets on top. Blanching the spring onions in boiling water for a few seconds will make them more flexible.
- Mix all the dressing ingredients together and then set aside.
- Heat the oil, then fry the onions and fennel with the chilli, lime leaves and lemongrass for 10 minutes, or until the onions and fennel are completely soft. Stir in coriander.
- Place two fillets of each fish, skin side down, on a sheet of foil on a large baking sheet with sides. Cover with the filling and top with the appropriate fillets, skin side up. Tie the fillets together with spring onions (or a string) and refrigerate until cooked. You can do this on the morning of your dinner party.
- To serve: Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan 200°C/gas 7. Pour the dressing over the fish and then fry for 12-15 minutes, or until the fish is cooked through. Serve with jasmine rice to soak up the delicious juices.
Equipment and tools
To prepare this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Knife for cutting
- A garlic press
This recipe contains the following allergens:
Storage and leftovers
If there are any leftovers from the fried sea bass with chili and lime leaves, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. To reheat, gently warm the fish in the oven or microwave until warmed through.
Health Benefits of Fried Sea Bass with Chili and Lime Leaves
Fried sea bass with chili and lime leaves is not only a delicious and aromatic dish but also offers numerous health benefits. This recipe is packed with nutritious ingredients that contribute to overall wellness and a healthy lifestyle. Let’s explore the health benefits of this delicious seafood dish.
1. Omega-3 fatty acids
Sea bass is an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential for heart and brain health. These healthy fats help reduce inflammation, improve blood circulation and reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.
2. Vitamins and minerals
This recipe contains a range of vegetables and herbs such as red onions, fennel bulbs, fresh red chillies, lime leaves, lemongrass and fresh coriander. These ingredients provide a rich spectrum of vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C, vitamin K, potassium and folic acid. They strengthen the immune system, promote healthy digestion and support general vitality.
Garlic, an essential ingredient in this recipe, contains a compound called allicin, which is known for its powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Antioxidants help fight free radicals in the body, prevent oxidative stress and reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as cancer and heart disease.
4. Low saturated fat content
Using sunflower oil and sesame oil in this recipe instead of saturated fats helps keep the dish relatively low in unhealthy fats. This can be helpful for maintaining healthy cholesterol levels and reducing the risk of heart disease.
5. Lean protein
Sea bass is a lean source of protein that is essential for muscle growth and repair. High-protein diets also help with weight management by boosting metabolism and keeping you feeling full for longer.
6. Season it
Adding red chili not only improves the flavor of the dish, but also provides a hit of capsaicin, a compound known to boost metabolism and aid weight loss.
Including fried sea bass with chili and lime leaves in your regular diet can be a good choice for improving your overall health and well-being. This dish is not only a delight for your taste buds but also contributes to a nutritious and balanced diet.