Enjoy the wonderful flavors of roasted puttanesca eggplant complemented by delicious tomato rice and feta. This recipe combines the perfect harmony of ingredients to create a delicious summer dinner or a refreshing outdoor lunch. If you want, you can even cook the eggplant on the grill, adding a smoky touch to this already delicious dish. Enhance your dining experience with this bright and flavorful meal.
- 3 tbsp olive oil (or use the oil from the sun-dried tomato jar below)
- 3 medium banana shallots or 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 300g easy-to-cook long grain brown rice
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 5 dried tomatoes in oil, drained and cut into thin slices
- 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube or 2 tsp vegetable bouillon powder
- 3 large eggplants, halved lengthwise
- 1 tbsp finely chopped oregano or 1⁄2 tsp dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained and rinsed
- 100g black olives, pitted and chopped
- 60g pine nuts, roasted
- 30g basil, chopped, plus a few extra leaves for garnish
- 200g feta, crumbled
- 250 g cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Extra virgin olive oil for drizzling (optional)
- green leaf salad for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan/gas 5.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a saucepan over medium heat and cook the shallots with a pinch of salt, stirring, until softened, about 8 minutes.
- Add the rice and tomato puree and stir until the rice is coated with the oil, about 1 minute.
- Pour the mixture into a medium-sized baking dish (approx. 20 x 30 cm) and then add the garlic and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and 500ml water to the pan and swirl some of the water out of the tomato tin.
- Add the bouillon cube and return the pan to the heat. Stir as you go so that the broth dissolves.
- Bring to a boil and carefully pour over the rice mixture in the baking dish.
- Cover tightly and bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes, until all the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is golden brown around the edges.
- In the meantime, cut the cut sides of the eggplant halves in a diamond shape, being careful not to cut through the skin.
- Sprinkle the oregano over the eggplant flesh and season.
- Brush or rub lightly with the remaining oil, pressing the spices into the cuts.
- Place the eggplants, flesh side up, in a large baking dish or roasting pan.
- Once the rice has been in the oven for 15 minutes, place the eggplants on a lower rack to bake, covered, for 45 minutes, then uncovered for another 30-35 minutes, until golden brown and tender.
- Remove both pans from the oven, cover and set aside.
- Mix capers, olives, pine nuts and basil in a bowl.
- Stir half of the baked rice with a fork to lightly fluff the rice.
- Add the feta and cherry tomatoes to the remaining mixture and season with black pepper.
- Place the rice on a large serving platter and top with the eggplant halves.
- Pour the feta mixture over the eggplant, drizzle with balsamic vinegar and garnish with the additional basil leaves.
- Drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil if desired and serve with a green leaf salad.
Equipment and tools
- frying pan
- wooden spoon
- measuring spoon
This recipe may contain the following allergens:
- Wheat and gluten from the tomato puree
- Pine nuts for those with nut allergies
- Dairy products from the feta cheese
Storage and leftovers
To save leftovers from these Roasted Puttanesca Eggplants with Tomato Rice and Feta:
- Allow the dish to cool completely.
- Transfer to an airtight container.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To reheat, heat in the microwave or oven until warmed through.
Note: The consistency of the dish may change when warmed up.
Health Benefits of “Roasted Puttanesca Eggplants with Tomato Rice and Feta”
A balanced diet that includes a variety of whole foods is key to maintaining good health. This recipe for Roasted Puttanesca Eggplant with Tomato Rice and Feta offers a delicious and nutritious meal packed with health benefits.
1. Rich in fiber
Including brown rice in this recipe provides a good source of fiber. Fiber aids in digestion, helps control blood sugar levels, and contributes to a healthy gut. It also promotes satiety, making it an excellent choice for weight management.
2. Rich in antioxidants
Both tomatoes and eggplants are rich in antioxidants, which protect the body from oxidative stress and reduce the risk of chronic diseases. The sun-dried tomatoes and cherry tomatoes in this recipe add flavor while providing a powerful antioxidant boost.
3. Heart-healthy ingredients
Olive oil and pine nuts used in this recipe are heart-healthy ingredients. Olive oil is rich in monounsaturated fats, which may help lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease. Pine nuts are a good source of unsaturated fats and contain plant sterols, which may help lower LDL (bad) cholesterol.
4. Nutrient rich
This recipe contains a wide variety of nutrient-dense ingredients. Basil is an excellent source of vitamin K and contains antibacterial properties. Eggplant provides fiber, potassium, and vitamins B6 and C. Feta cheese adds calcium, protein, and probiotics to support gut health.
5. Low added sugar
Using sun-dried tomatoes, chopped tomatoes and tomato puree adds a natural sweetness to the dish without the need to add sugar. This makes it a suitable option for people who want to reduce their sugar consumption or are following a low-sugar diet.
6. Versatile and customizable
This recipe allows for versatility and customization to personal preferences and dietary needs. It can be easily adapted to various dietary restrictions, such as a vegetarian or gluten-free diet. Additionally, adding a green leafy salad as a side pairs well with the flavors and provides additional vitamins and minerals.
Overall, this recipe for Roasted Puttanesca Eggplant with Tomato Rice and Feta is a healthy and delicious choice that offers a number of nutritional benefits. It’s a great option for people who want to incorporate more plant-based ingredients and antioxidants into their diet.