This recipe “Fried Mackerel with Beet and Spelled Salad” is not only delicious, but also incredibly healthy. It is packed with essential nutrients such as folic acid, fiber, iron and omega-3 fatty acids.
Frying the fish whole on the bone gives the fish a wonderful depth of flavor, but if you prefer to use fillets, these are still perfectly fried or grilled in just 10 minutes. It is a delicious dish that ticks all the boxes for a nutritious and enjoyable meal.
- 300g whole raw beetroot, scrubbed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 large cloves of garlic, crushed but left in the peel
- 250g bag of cooked spelled (or cook it yourself, see tip)
- 2 tsp clear honey
- 3 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 tbsp toasted pine nuts or flaked almonds
- 50g pitted black olives, roughly chopped (I use the dry Provençal variety for texture)
- 2 whole cleaned mackerels
- ½ tsp hot smoked paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin, crushed
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- small packet of dill, coarsely chopped
- small package of coriander, roughly chopped (optional)
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- thick creamy yogurt for serving
To cook your own spelled, cover 100g (makes 250g) of pearl spelled with cold water and allow to simmer. Add some vegetable stock powder if desired. Cook for 20 minutes until just tender, then drain.
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Cut the beets into wedges and mix with 1 tablespoon of oil and some spices in an oiled, medium-sized roasting pan.
- Roast for 40 minutes, adding the garlic to the tin 20 minutes before the end, until soft and caramelized.
- Cook the spelled according to the package instructions.
- Mix the remaining oil, honey and vinegar.
- Mix this into the beetroot along with the spelled, nuts and olives and set aside to cool.
- Line a large baking sheet with foil.
- Cut the fish down to the bones a few times on each side and place on the foil.
- Mix the spices with spices and rub the fish with them.
- Increase the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7 and roast the fish for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and the dorsal fin on the back can be easily removed.
- Shortly before serving, fold the herbs and red onion into the salad.
- Season to taste and serve with the fish and a dollop of yoghurt.
Equipment and tools
To prepare and prepare the salad “Fried mackerel with beets and spelled” you will need the following devices and tools:
- Scrub brush for cleaning beetroot
- baking sheet or roasting pan
- Aluminum foil
- Small pot for cooking spelled (if not using a pre-cooked bag)
- Cooking device for cooking spelled
- Knife and cutting board for preparing the ingredients
- A garlic press
- measuring spoon
- Toast pan or skillet (for pine nuts or flaked almonds)
The recipe “Fried mackerel with beet and spelled salad” may contain the following allergens:
- Tree nuts (pine nuts or flaked almonds)
- Wheat (spelled)
- Fish (mackerel)
- Dairy products (thick creamy yogurt)
Please take these allergies into consideration when preparing this dish for yourself or others.
Storage and leftovers
If there are any leftovers from the fried mackerel with beetroot and spelled salad, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. For optimal freshness, it is recommended to consume leftovers within 2-3 days. When reheating, be sure to heat the dish thoroughly before serving.
The health benefits of “Fried Mackerel with Beet and Spelled Salad”
When it comes to a healthy and nutritious meal, Fried Mackerel with Beet and Spelled Salad ticks all the boxes. Packed with whole ingredients including mackerel, beetroot, spelled and various herbs and spices, this dish is not only delicious but also offers numerous health benefits.
Mackerel is a fatty fish and an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential for heart health. Omega-3 fatty acids help reduce inflammation, lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of heart disease. In addition, mackerel is a great source of high-quality protein, which is necessary for muscle growth and repair.
The bright and vibrant beets in this salad are a nutritional powerhouse. It is rich in antioxidants such as betalains, which have been shown to have anti-inflammatory and detoxifying properties. Beetroot is also known to promote healthy blood pressure, improve digestion and increase athletic performance.
Spelled is an ancient grain that provides a good source of fiber and several important nutrients. It contains less gluten than wheat and may be easier to digest for some people. Spelled also contains B vitamins, magnesium and iron, which support energy production and promote a healthy immune system.
herbs and spices
The various herbs and spices used in this recipe not only provide incredible flavor but also provide additional health benefits. Dill and coriander are rich in vitamins A, C and K as well as antioxidants. These herbs support immune function, bone health, and overall well-being. The hot smoked paprika, cumin seeds and ground coriander not only add a touch of spiciness, but also have an anti-inflammatory and digestive effect.
By using olive oil in this recipe, you can benefit from its heart-healthy monounsaturated fats. Olive oil is known to reduce inflammation, lower LDL cholesterol levels, and improve blood sugar control. It is also rich in antioxidants such as vitamin E, which protects the body from free radical damage.
As you can see, “Fried mackerel with beet and spelled salad” is not only a delicious but also a nutritious dish. From the omega-3 fatty acids of mackerel to the antioxidants of beetroot and the health-promoting properties of herbs and spices, this recipe offers a well-rounded meal that supports various aspects of your health and well-being.