Indulge in the delicious flavors of Jason Atherton’s mouth-watering recipe for Pan-Seared Cod with Paella and Saffron Olive Oil. This extravagant dish features an abundance of succulent shellfish paired with fragrant rice, all expertly prepared to impress both your taste buds and your guests.
With its juicy and tender cod, perfectly complemented by the heavenly drizzle of saffron olive oil, this recipe is a true delight for seafood lovers. However, please note that it contains pork and is intended for non-Muslims only.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 200g raw chorizo, diced
- 3 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp smoked sweet paprika (pimentone)
- 300g paella rice
- 1l fish stock
- Stick of unsalted butter
- 300g prawns, cut into bite-sized pieces
- a handful of cooked, shelled mussels plus 18 in the shell
- Juice ½ lemon (optional)
- small bunch of parsley, chopped
- 75 ml extra virgin olive oil
- Juice ½ lemon
- A pinch of saffron threads
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Stick of unsalted butter
- 6 x 175 g cod fillets, with skin
- Squeeze out lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
- To make the paella, add olive oil, chorizo, shallots and garlic to a large pan and fry for 7-8 minutes until the chorizo releases its oil and the shallots are soft.
- Add the paprika powder and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, then add the rice, mix well and cook for a few more minutes.
- Add 600 ml of the stock, season and mix well.
- Cover and place in the oven for 15 minutes. Uncover, stir everything well and then put back in the oven for 10 minutes. When almost cooked, remove from the oven and spread on a tray to cool.
- Cool and store for later. You can do this a day in advance.
- For the saffron oil, mix the olive oil and lemon juice in a small saucepan.
- Add the saffron and heat gently for 5 minutes, then remove from heat and let steep and cool.
- You can do this a day in advance.
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- For the cod, heat the olive oil and butter in an ovenproof pan over high heat, but do not let it burn.
- Season the cod with sea salt and black pepper, then cook with the skin side down in the hot pan for 4 minutes, then carefully turn the fish over and put the pan in the oven for another 3 minutes, finishing with a little salt and adding more sea salt and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Meanwhile, return the paella to the pan, stir in the remaining fish stock, and cook until heated through, 2 minutes.
- Stir in a piece of butter, the shrimp and the peeled mussels.
- Taste, add lemon juice, salt and pepper if necessary and finish with chopped parsley.
- Serve with fried cod, mussels in the shell and steamed purple broccoli or a green vegetable of your choice.
- Finally, drizzle everything with the saffron dressing.
Equipment and tools
To prepare this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- frying pan
- Wooden spoon or spatula
- baking pan
- cutting board
- citrus press
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Soy (if the fish stock contains soy)
Please check the labels of the ingredients you use to ensure they are appropriate for your dietary needs.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftover pan-fried cod with paella and saffron olive oil, you can store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. When reheating, be sure to do so thoroughly until the dish is warmed through.
However, for the best taste and texture, it is recommended to consume the dish fresh.
The Health Benefits of Roasted Cod with Paella and Saffron Olive Oil
Fried cod with paella and saffron olive oil is not only a tasty dish but also brings several health benefits. This recipe combines the goodness of cod, shrimp, mussels, and saffron-infused olive oil into a delicious and nutritious meal.
1. Rich in Omega-3 fatty acids
Cod, a white fish, is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, a type of healthy fat that provides numerous benefits for the body. Omega-3 fatty acids are known for their ability to reduce inflammation, promote heart health and support brain function. Regular consumption of cod can help reduce the risk of heart disease and improve overall cognitive performance.
2. Excellent source of protein
With shrimp, mussels and cod fillets as the main ingredients, this dish is an excellent source of protein. Protein is essential for building and repairing tissue, supporting muscle growth, and maintaining a healthy immune system. A portion of pan-fried cod with paella and saffron olive oil provides a significant amount of high-quality protein.
3. Antioxidant-rich saffron olive oil
The saffron-infused olive oil used in this recipe not only gives the dish a vibrant color but also a boost of antioxidants. Antioxidants help protect the body from free radicals, which can cause cell damage and contribute to chronic disease. Saffron itself is known for its anti-inflammatory properties and potential mood-boosting benefits.
4. Nutrient-rich ingredients
In addition to the health benefits mentioned above, the other ingredients in this dish also contribute their own nutritional value. Chorizo provides important vitamins and minerals such as vitamin B12 and iron. Shallots and garlic offer various antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds. Paella rice is a good source of carbohydrates, while fish broth provides additional flavor and nutrients.
5. Heart-Healthy Cooking Methods
This recipe calls for roasting the cod fillets instead of frying them, which is a heart-healthy cooking method. Roasting requires less oil and preserves the fish’s natural flavors and nutrients. If you choose this cooking technique, you can enjoy a delicious meal without compromising your heart health.
Overall, Seared Cod with Paella and Saffron Olive Oil is a nutritious and delicious dish that combines a variety of health-promoting ingredients. From the omega-3 fatty acids in cod to the antioxidant-rich, saffron-infused olive oil, this recipe offers a range of benefits for your body and your taste buds.