Treat yourself to the ultimate comfort food with our delicious Roast Chicken with Salsa and Garlic Mash recipe. Dive into tender, crispy fried chicken complemented by velvety, garlic-infused mashed potatoes. But what really sets this dish apart is the burst of flavor from our homemade fresh salsa. Prepared with a mixture of strong herbs and vegetables, it takes the entire ensemble to a new, incomparable level. Unleash your culinary creativity and enjoy the perfect combination of textures and flavors that will tantalize your taste buds with every single bite.
- 6 chicken thighs or 12 thighs or a mixture of both
- 8 unpeeled garlic cloves
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- a few bay leaves, or something to decorate if you like
- 200 g large, pitted green olives
- 2 small bunches of flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Zest 2 oranges and juice 1½ oranges
- Juice ½ lemon
- 2 red chili peppers, deseeded and finely chopped
- 3 cups of ready-made mashed potatoes from the supermarket, approx. 450g per pack
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
- Mix chicken and garlic with 1 tablespoon oil in a shallow roasting pan.
- Tuck a few bay leaves around.
- Sprinkle ½ teaspoon black pepper and ½ teaspoon sea salt over the chicken pieces.
- Roast for 30 minutes.
- Fish out the garlic.
- Increase the oven temperature to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7.
- Roast the chicken for another 15-20 minutes until golden brown, crispy and cooked through.
- While the chicken is cooking, coarsely chop the olives in a food processor.
- Scrape the olives into a serving bowl.
- Add flat-leaf parsley, chilies, orange peel, orange juice, lemon juice, remaining olive oil and some spices.
- Let stand at room temperature until serving.
- Squeeze the roasted garlic cloves out of the peel and mash them with a fork.
- About 10 minutes before serving, heat the porridge in a pan or in the microwave on high for about 8-10 minutes.
- When hot, pour into a serving bowl.
- Stir in the crushed garlic.
- Serve with roast chicken, olive salsa and some lettuce leaves.
- Dress the lettuce leaves with the juice of the remaining half lemon.
Fried chicken with salsa and garlic mash
Equipment and tools
To prepare this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- frying pan
- cutting board
- measuring spoon
- measuring cup
- Garlic press
- Large mixing bowl
- Oven gloves
This recipe contains the following allergens:
Storage and leftovers
You can store leftovers of this dish in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Make sure to place them in an airtight container before refrigerating. To reheat, simply place in the microwave or reheat in the preheated oven until warmed through.
Health Benefits of Roast Chicken with Salsa and Garlic Mash
The Roast Chicken with Salsa & Garlic Puree dish not only offers a delicious flavor combination but also offers several health benefits. From lean protein to antioxidant-rich ingredients, here are some reasons why this dish is a healthy choice:
1. Lean protein
The main ingredient in this dish, chicken, is an excellent source of protein. Protein is essential for building and repairing tissue, supporting muscle growth, and strengthening the immune system. Choosing chicken thighs or skinless chicken thighs can help ensure the dish is low in saturated fat while still providing the necessary protein intake.
The recipe contains unpeeled garlic cloves, which not only provide a unique taste but also provide numerous health benefits. Garlic contains compounds like allicin, which have been shown to have antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory and immune-boosting properties. It may also have cardiovascular benefits and help lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
3. Olive oil
Using olive oil in the recipe provides healthy fats, including monounsaturated fats, which are considered heart-healthy. Olive oil also contains antioxidants such as vitamin E, which protect the body from oxidative stress and inflammation.
4. Oranges and lemons
The peel of oranges and the juice of oranges and lemons not only provide a tangy taste, but also contribute to the nutritional value of the dish. Oranges and lemons are excellent sources of vitamin C, which is essential for a healthy immune system, collagen production, and antioxidant protection.
5. Red chilies
Red chili peppers not only add heat and spice to salsa, but also offer health benefits. They contain capsaicin, a compound known to have anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties. Capsaicin may also help boost metabolism and aid in weight control.
6. Green olives
Including pitted green olives in the recipe provides a unique flavor and brings additional health benefits. Olives are rich in monounsaturated fats, vitamin E and various antioxidants. They are associated with reducing the risk of heart disease and promoting overall well-being.
7. Flat leaf parsley
Parsley not only provides a fresh taste, but also provides important nutrients. It is a rich source of vitamins A, C and K as well as folic acid and iron. Parsley may have anti-inflammatory properties and contribute to good bone health.
8. Ready-made mashed potatoes
Although ready-made mashed potatoes are convenient, they may not provide the same nutritional benefits as freshly made ones. However, potatoes are a good source of vitamin C, potassium and fiber. If possible, consider making your own mashed potatoes using healthy cooking methods.
When you enjoy Roast Chicken with Salsa & Garlic Mash, you can enjoy a delicious meal while benefiting from the various nutrients and health benefits of the ingredients.