A glamorous, comforting dish that will impress. This roast chicken recipe combines tender, juicy chicken with the rich, distinct flavor of grappa. However, if you don’t have grappa on hand, don’t worry! This dish tastes equally delicious when combined with a crisp white wine. The chicken is wonderfully seasoned and fried to perfection, producing golden, crispy skin and juicy, flavorful meat. Whether you choose grappa or white wine, this recipe is guaranteed to add warmth and indulgence to any meal.
- 100g plain flour
- 2 good pinches of saffron threads, crushed in a mortar
- 6 chicken breasts, bone-in and skin-on
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 large sweet potatoes, about 1½kg/3lb 5oz, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 150ml/¼ pint whole milk
- 140g Taleggio cheese, broken into pieces
- 8 tbsp grappa (Italian brandy)
- 4 handfuls of seedless red grapes
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6.
- Place the flour, saffron and some spices in a large bowl.
- Coat the chicken breasts with the flour mixture, then gently shake to remove any excess flour.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy roasting pan and then quickly brown the chicken all over.
- Cover the pan with foil and roast the chicken until crispy and golden brown, about 20 minutes. Then remove the foil for the last 5 minutes of cooking time.
- Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in a large pot for about 15 minutes or until tender, drain well, return to the pot and then mash.
- Return the pan to low heat, season, then mix in the milk and Taleggio.
- Stir constantly to gently melt the cheese and create a smooth, creamy texture.
- When the chicken is cooked, put the tray back on the stove and add the grappa and grapes.
- Warm up, then remove from the heat and flambé with a flame.
- When the flames have gone out, return to the heat and simmer for about 30 seconds.
- To serve, place 3-4 tablespoons of puree in the center of each plate and place a chicken breast on top.
- Add the grapes and juice on top.
Equipment and tools
- mixing bowl
- Pestle and mortar
- baking pan
- measuring spoon
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Gluten from pure flour
- Dairy products made from Taleggio cheese and milk
- Alcohol from Grappa (Italian brandy)
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The roast chicken with grappa can be kept for up to 3 days. To reheat, place in preheated oven at 180°C/350°F for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
Health Benefits of “Roast Chicken with Grappa”
Roast chicken is a delicious and versatile dish that can be prepared in a variety of ways. One such variant is the delicious “Roast Chicken with Grappa” recipe. In addition to its excellent taste, this dish also offers several health benefits. Let’s explore some of them:
1. Rich in protein
Chicken is a fantastic source of lean protein and this recipe features bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts. Protein is essential for building and repairing tissue, supporting muscle growth, and boosting overall immunity.
2. Provides essential nutrients
In addition to protein, chicken is a rich source of essential nutrients such as vitamins B6 and B12, niacin, selenium and phosphorus. These nutrients play a critical role in maintaining a healthy nervous system, supporting normal brain function, and promoting cardiovascular health.
3. The antioxidant properties of saffron
This recipe contains saffron threads, which not only give the dish a unique flavor and vibrant color, but also provide antioxidant properties. Antioxidants protect the body from damage caused by harmful free radicals, reduce the risk of chronic disease and promote overall well-being.
4. Sweet potatoes for vitamins and fiber
Including sweet potatoes in this recipe provides a healthy dose of vitamins, especially vitamin A, and fiber. Vitamin A is essential for maintaining good vision and promoting healthy skin, while fiber aids digestion and helps regulate blood sugar levels.
5. Nutritious Taleggio cheese
Taleggio cheese, broken into pieces and added to this recipe, not only improves the overall flavor but also provides important nutrients such as calcium, vitamin B12 and phosphorus. Calcium is crucial for strong bones and teeth, while vitamin B12 supports red blood cell production and nerve function.
6. The antioxidant power of grapes
Adding seedless red grapes to this dish gives this dish a refreshing burst of flavor but also offers some health benefits. Grapes are rich in antioxidants, particularly resveratrol, which has been linked to a reduced risk of heart disease and certain cancers.
Overall, Roast Chicken with Grappa not only satisfies your taste buds but also offers a range of nutrients and health-promoting properties. Try this recipe to enjoy a tasty meal while reaping the incredible health benefits!