A delicious recipe for roast chicken and roots with a tangy lemon poppy seed sauce. Serving two people, this colorful sheet cake is a perfect combination of simplicity and flavor. The creamy sauce with a hint of citrus and pepper gives the dish a special touch. The tender roasted chicken and healthy selection of root vegetables make this a healthy and filling meal. Prepare for a culinary experience that will leave your taste buds wanting more!
- 2 chicken legs
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus 1 tsp for the sauce
- 6 carrots, cut into long, coarse pieces
- 2 large beets, cut into wedges
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp sweet paprika powder
- 200 ml chicken stock (made from ½ bouillon cube)
- 1 tbsp clear honey
- Grate the zest of a lemon and the juice of half a lemon
- 150 ml pot of sour cream
- ½ small pack of parsley
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Place the chicken on a large baking sheet, drizzle with 1 teaspoon oil and season well.
- Let the chicken cook for 20 minutes.
- Mix the vegetables with the remaining 2 teaspoons of oil and some spices.
- Distribute the seasoned vegetables around the chicken.
- Place the tray back in the oven for 30 minutes.
- In a separate pan, heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and add the shallot and poppy seeds.
- Cook shallot and poppy seeds for 5 minutes.
- Add the peppers, chicken broth, honey, lemon zest and juice to the pan.
- Simmer the mixture until the liquid has reduced by half.
- Add sour cream and some spice to the pan.
- Let the sauce bubble for 2 minutes.
- Add half of the parsley to the sauce and keep warm.
- Remove the chicken and vegetables from the oven.
- Sprinkle the remaining parsley over the chicken and vegetables.
- Serve chicken and vegetables with the prepared sauce.
Equipment and tools
To prepare this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- frying pan
- wooden spoon
- measuring spoon
- measuring cup
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products (sour cream)
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat, place the chicken and roots in a preheated 180°C oven for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
Make sure you heat the sauce thoroughly in a pot on the stove until piping hot.
Do not freeze the leftovers, otherwise the consistency may change.
The Health Benefits of Roast Chicken and Roots with Lemon Poppy Seed Sauce
Roast chicken is a classic dish that is not only delicious but also offers a number of health benefits. Combined with fiber-rich root vegetables, a tangy lemon poppy seed sauce, and fresh herbs, this recipe becomes a nutritious meal that your body will thank you for.
1. High protein chicken
Chicken is an excellent source of high-quality protein. Protein is important for building and repairing tissue, supporting muscle growth and increasing satiety. It also helps regulate blood sugar levels and maintain a healthy weight.
2. Nutrient-rich roots
The combination of carrots and beets in this recipe provides a wealth of essential nutrients. Carrots are rich in beta-carotene, a powerful antioxidant that contributes to eye health and boosts the immune system. On the other hand, beetroot is rich in vitamins, minerals and fiber and promotes the health of the digestive and cardiovascular systems.
3. Tasty poppy seeds
Poppy seeds not only add a delicious crunch to the dish but also provide several health benefits. They are a great source of essential minerals like calcium, iron and magnesium. In addition, poppy seeds are rich in fiber, which aids digestion and helps maintain a healthy weight.
4. Antioxidant-rich lemon
The zest and juice of the lemon in the sauce provide a vibrant citrus flavor and a dose of antioxidants. Lemons are known for their high vitamin C content, which supports a strong immune system, collagen production for healthy skin, and the absorption of iron from plant foods.
5. Nourishing herbs
Parsley not only adds a touch of freshness to the dish, but also offers a number of health benefits. It is an excellent source of vitamins A and C as well as folic acid and iron. Parsley also has anti-inflammatory properties and can support heart health.
As you can see, this recipe for Roasted Chicken and Roots with Lemon Poppy Seed Sauce not only tantalizes your taste buds but also offers a variety of health benefits. Enjoy this healthy meal knowing you are providing your body with essential nutrients and flavors.