These light and aromatic, Christmas-spiced friands are the ideal dessert to end your lavish holiday. Enjoy the delicate texture and aromatic blend of festive spices. With their subtle sweetness, these cakes provide an enjoyable end to an extravagant Christmas meal. Enjoy their heavenly taste with a warm cup of cocoa or your favorite festive drink. Treat your loved ones to these heavenly delicacies that are guaranteed to spread the joy and warmth of the Christmas season. Enjoy every bite of these delicious, Christmas-spiced Friands!
- 200g unsalted butter
- 6 egg whites
- 75g flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- a pinch of grated nutmeg
- a pinch of ground ginger
- 200g powdered sugar, plus a little sugar for dusting
- 140g ground almonds
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Place the butter in a small saucepan and heat until it foams and browns.
- Remove from heat and pour through a sieve, then allow to cool.
- Remove the white solids, leaving just the melted butter.
- Grease 10 holes of a friand or muffin tin with a little butter.
- Beat the egg whites in a large bowl until fluffy.
- Sift over the flour, spices and powdered sugar.
- Sprinkle with ground almonds and pour in the cooled butter.
- Fold into the egg whites and stir until there are no lumps.
- You can refrigerate the friand mixture for two days at this point before baking.
- Fill each hole with some of the mixture and place the mold or tins on a baking tray.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, until the friands have risen and are golden brown and springy to the touch.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
- Eat it slightly warm or completely cool, but it is best to eat the friands on the day they are baked.
- Before serving, dust with chestnut flour and powdered sugar (see “Suitable with this”).
Equipment and tools
- mixing bowl
- Whisk or electric mixer
- Spatula or wooden spoon
- Friand or muffin tin
- Cooking spray or butter for greasing
- Baking paper or cupcake cases
- Cooling rack
Allergy warning: This recipe contains nuts and dairy products. Please note that it may also contain gluten and eggs. Always check specific ingredients and labels for possible allergens.
Storage and leftovers
If there are any leftovers, store the Christmas-spiced Friands in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. You can also freeze them for longer storage. To freeze, wrap each friand tightly in plastic wrap and place in a freezer-safe bag or container. They can be frozen for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to enjoy them, thaw them at room temperature or warm them briefly in the oven before serving. Dust again with powdered sugar if desired.
Health Benefits of Christmas Spiced Friands
Not only are Christmas spiced friands a delicious treat for the holidays, but they also come with various health benefits. This delicious dessert contains a balanced combination of ingredients that are not only delicious but also positively contribute to your overall well-being. Let’s take a closer look at the health benefits provided by the main ingredients of this recipe.
1. Unsaturated fats from butter
The recipe calls for 200g of unsalted butter, which is a rich source of unsaturated fats. Unlike saturated fats, which are known to increase cholesterol and the risk of heart disease, unsaturated fats can have a positive impact on cardiovascular health when consumed in moderation. They can help lower bad cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of inflammation in the body.
2. Protein-rich egg whites
Because the recipe contains six proteins, these Christmas-spiced Friands offer a significant protein boost. Protein is an essential nutrient for various body functions, including building and repairing tissue, supporting the immune system, and maintaining healthy hair and nails. Additionally, consuming enough protein can help you feel fuller for longer, which can be helpful in weight management or weight loss.
3. Nutrient-rich plain flour
The presence of 75g of pure flour in this recipe represents a good source of complex carbohydrates. Complex carbohydrates are the body’s main source of energy and are broken down more slowly than simple carbohydrates, resulting in a more sustained release of energy. In addition, plain flour contains important nutrients such as fiber, vitamins and minerals.
4. Warm and aromatic spices
The heavenly aroma and flavors of ground cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger not only give these friands a festive touch but also offer their own set of health benefits. Cinnamon is praised for its potential anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, which can help reduce inflammation and protect against cell damage. Nutmeg is known to have antibacterial and analgesic properties, while ginger is valued for its potential anti-nausea and anti-inflammatory effects.
5. Ground almonds – a nutritional powerhouse
The addition of 140g of ground almonds in this recipe brings a variety of nutritional benefits. Almonds are an excellent source of healthy fats, fiber, proteins, and several important vitamins and minerals. They are particularly known for their high content of vitamin E, a powerful antioxidant that plays an important role in protecting cells from free radical damage.
So while you’re indulging in these delicious Christmas spiced friands, you can also enjoy the added benefit of reaping these health benefits. Remember that moderation is key and always consult a doctor for any specific dietary concerns or restrictions.