This fragrant mango apple chutney is not only the perfect gift for special occasions, but also an essential condiment for your Christmas feast. With its delicious combination of mango and apple, this chutney adds a flavor explosion to any dish. It goes great with leftover turkey and ensures your post-Christmas meals are just as delicious as the main event. Once you try this incredible chutney, you won’t ever want to run out of your leftover turkey while it’s sitting in your fridge. Treat yourself to the aromatic deliciousness of this irresistible chutney!
- 3 1-4 large ripe mangoes, about 1kg
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 onions, halved and thinly sliced
- Thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger root, peeled and cut into thin strips
- 10 green cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp coriander seeds, lightly crushed
- ¼ tsp black onion seeds (Nigella or Kalonji work well)
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 2 Bramley apples, about 500g, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 large red chili pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 375 ml white wine vinegar
- 400g golden powdered sugar
- 1 tsp salt
Homemade chutney is a nice gift for
a friend, but for me it is also an essential part
Boxing Day to serve with cold turkey and
Ham. Whenever I see mangoes being sold
I grab them to process them cheaply
Chutney, and I think this is my best
Version not yet. Cook apples, like Bramleys,
form a nice, mushy base for the chutney
without drowning out the taste
Mango. The result is intoxicating with fresh ginger
and aromatic spices – delicious.Our downloadable labels
Download our printable canning labels – perfect for writing cooking notes and gift messages. You can find them Here.
- Cut each mango in half along the sides of the flat stone that runs through the center of the fruit, so you end up with two fleshy halves.
- Now take each mango half and cut the flesh into fairly large, diagonal pieces. Be careful not to cut through the shell.
- Flip each half over, then cut off the mango pieces that are sticking out of the peel.
- Cut off the pulp around the stones, cut off the peel and chop the pulp.
- Heat the oil in a large, deep frying pan, add the onion and fry for a few minutes until softened.
- Stir in the ginger and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is golden brown, about 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in all spices except turmeric and cook until toasted.
- Stir in the turmeric, add the apple and add 500ml water, then cover the pan and cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the mango and chilli, cover and cook for another 20 minutes, until the apple is mushy and the mango is tender.
- Add the vinegar, stir in the sugar and salt and then simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Pour into sterilized jars.
Equipment and tools
- frying pan
- wooden spoon
- Grinder or mortar and pestle
- Measuring cups and spoons
This recipe for fragrant mango apple chutney contains no known allergens.
Storage and leftovers
Store the chutney in a sterilized jar or airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 months. Use within 2 weeks after opening.
Health Benefits of Fragrant Mango Apple Chutney
Chutneys are not only delicious condiments that add flavor to dishes, but they also offer numerous health benefits. Fragrant mango-apple chutney with its combination of nutritious ingredients is no exception. Let’s explore the various health benefits this delicious chutney offers:
1. Rich in fiber
This chutney contains a good amount of fiber thanks to ingredients like mangoes, apples, onions and spices. Fiber supports digestion, promotes a healthy intestine and helps prevent constipation. It also helps control weight and can reduce the risk of certain diseases such as heart disease and diabetes.
2. Rich in antioxidants
Both mangoes and apples are packed with antioxidants that protect the body from harmful free radicals. Antioxidants play a critical role in maintaining overall health and reducing the risk of chronic diseases, including cancer and heart disease.
3. Anti-inflammatory properties
Several ingredients in this chutney, such as ginger, turmeric and cinnamon, have powerful anti-inflammatory properties. Chronic inflammation is linked to various health problems, including arthritis, heart disease and certain types of cancer. Eating foods with anti-inflammatory properties can help reduce inflammation in the body.
4. Immune-boosting effect
Ginger, one of the main ingredients in this chutney, is known for its immune-boosting properties. It contains compounds that can strengthen the immune system and fight off infections. By including this chutney in your diet, you can give your immune system a natural boost.
5. Supports digestive health
The combination of spices used in this chutney like cumin, coriander and black onion seeds not only adds flavor but also aids digestion. These spices have digestive properties that can help relieve digestive problems such as gas, bloating, and indigestion.
6. Nutrient-rich ingredients
Mangoes and apples are not only delicious, but also provide important vitamins and minerals. They are a good source of vitamins A and C, which are important for immune function and maintaining healthy skin. In addition, they contain fiber, potassium and antioxidants that contribute to overall health.
Fragrant mango apple chutney not only adds a touch of flavor to your meals but also offers various health benefits. From its high fiber content to its abundance of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties, this chutney is a nutritious addition to your diet. So enjoy this homemade chutney guilt-free while reaping the many health benefits it offers!