This easy, rustic red onion and rosemary focaccia bread recipe is a delicious addition to any meal. The aromatic combination of red onion and rosemary adds incredible flavor to every bite. With its loose consistency and herb crust, this focaccia goes perfectly with fresh salads or as a delicious accompaniment to antipasti. Whether you’re hosting a gathering or simply in the mood for a homemade treat, this flavorful bread is sure to impress. Easy to make and a delight to eat, this red onion and rosemary focaccia will enhance any dining experience.
- 1 portion of white bread dough (see “Goes well with” recipe below)
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large red onions, sliced
- a handful of rosemary sprigs
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
In a bread machine…
Use the bread maker to prepare the dough
and then continue as described.
- Prepare the basic dough, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and just a pinch of salt. While the dough is rising, cook the onions in 1 tablespoon olive oil for 5 minutes until softened, then set aside.
- When the dough has risen, knock it back and stretch it to fit an oiled jelly roll tin measuring approximately 25 x 35 cm. Let the dough rise for about 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6.
- Spread the onions over the dough and sprinkle with the rosemary.
- Make indentations in the dough with your fingers, drizzle the remaining oil over it and sprinkle the salt over it.
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown.
- Allow to cool and then serve sliced or torn into squares.
Equipment and tools
To prepare focaccia with red onions and rosemary you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Bread machine (optional)
- Baking tray or tray
- parchment paper
- Spatula or wooden spoon
- Knife or mandoline slicer for cutting the red onions
The red onion and rosemary focaccia contains the following allergens:
- Gluten from bread dough
Please note that this recipe may come into contact with other potential allergens during preparation. It is important to check the ingredient labels of all products used.
Storage and leftovers
After baking the red onion and rosemary focaccia, you may have leftovers. Follow these storage guidelines:
- Allow the focaccia to cool completely before storing.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container or wrap in plastic wrap.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To enjoy the best texture and taste, we recommend warming the focaccia in the oven at a low temperature before serving.
Health Benefits of Red Onion and Rosemary Focaccia
Focaccia is a classic Italian bread that is rich in flavor and versatile. A popular variation of this bread is the red onion and rosemary focaccia, which not only tastes delicious but also offers several health benefits. Let’s examine them in detail:
Nutritional Value of Red Onions:
Red onions are known not only for their vibrant color and distinct flavor, but also for their impressive nutritional profile. They are low in calories and fat, but rich in essential nutrients:
- Fiber: Red onions are a good source of fiber, which aids digestion, promotes bowel movement, and helps maintain a healthy weight.
- Vitamin C: These onions are packed with vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant that boosts the immune system, promotes collagen production, and fights free radicals in the body.
- Quercetin: Red onions contain quercetin, a flavonoid known for its anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties. It also helps lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
- Sulfur compounds: They are rich in sulfur compounds, which have been linked to improved cardiovascular health, a lower risk of certain cancers, and stronger bones.
The benefits of rosemary:
Rosemary is an aromatic herb commonly used in culinary dishes such as focaccia bread. Not only does it add flavor, but it also offers various health benefits:
- Antioxidants: Rosemary is rich in antioxidants, which protect the body from free radical damage and reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
- Anti-inflammatory properties: The active ingredients in rosemary have anti-inflammatory effects that can help relieve the symptoms of inflammation-related diseases such as arthritis.
- Improved Digestion: The aromatic compounds in rosemary promote digestion and can relieve indigestion, bloating and stomach cramps.
- Improved brain function: Some studies suggest that rosemary may improve memory and concentration and reduce the risk of neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s.
Why choose focaccia:
In addition to the health benefits that red onion and rosemary provide, choosing focaccia as your bread of choice can be a nutritious alternative to other types of bread. Focaccia typically has fewer calories and fat compared to other baked goods. It is also a source of complex carbohydrates, providing you with sustained energy throughout the day.
Overall, the red onion and rosemary focaccia not only satisfies your taste buds but also offers a number of health benefits. By incorporating this flavorful bread into your diet, you can enjoy the benefits of red onion and rosemary while treating yourself to a delicious treat.