Calling all dessert lovers! Get ready for a heavenly treat that will leave your taste buds wanting more. Our caramel sauce floating islands are the epitome of elegance and decadence. Picture this: clouds of fluffy, perfectly poached meringue floating on a sea of velvety crème anglaise. Each spoonful is a symphony of textures and flavors as the meringue smoothly transitions into the smooth and creamy caramel sauce. This timeless dessert is sure to impress your dinner party guests and create lasting memories with its delicate balance of sweetness and richness. So why wait? Up your dessert game and delight your senses with our exquisite caramel sauce floating islands!
- 50g powdered sugar
- 2 egg whites
- Drops of vanilla essence
- 50g powdered sugar
- Sunflower oil for greasing
- 500 ml whole milk
- 200 ml cream
- 1 vanilla bean
- 4 large egg yolks
- 75 g powdered sugar, plus 4 tbsp
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- Prepare the caramel sauce by placing the sugar in a small, heavy-based saucepan over high heat.
- Cook the sugar until melted to an amber color.
- Remove the pot from the heat and carefully add 3 tablespoons of water.
- Stir the mixture until smooth and set aside to cool completely.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg whites and vanilla essence until soft peaks form.
- Add the powdered sugar to the egg whites and mix until a stiff, shiny mixture forms.
- Grease four ramekins or small pudding molds with sunflower oil.
- Carefully pour the meringue mixture into a piping bag and cut off the end.
- Pour the mixture into the ramekins and fill them halfway.
- Place the ramekins in a large shallow pan or roasting pan.
- Pour boiling water from a kettle into the pan, stopping when the water reaches halfway up the ramekins.
- Cover the pan with a lid or aluminum foil and simmer over medium heat.
- Cook the ramekins for 4-6 minutes.
- Remove the ramekins from the water and run a spatula around the edge of the meringue to loosen it.
- Carefully turn the meringue out onto baking paper and set aside.
- In a large pot, combine milk and cream for the crème anglaise.
- Halve the vanilla pod lengthwise, scrape out the pulp and add it to the pan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then remove from the heat to cool slightly.
- In a separate bowl, mix the egg yolks and 75 g sugar until a light, creamy mixture is formed.
- Stir in the cornstarch and 4 tablespoons of sugar.
- Remove the vanilla bean and add the egg mixture to the warm milk and cream.
- Gently heat the mixture, stirring constantly, until it begins to thicken and coat the back of a spoon.
- Strain the mixture through a sieve into a large jug and cover with cling film.
- Allow the crème anglaise to cool, then refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To serve, pour a pool of chilled custard into each bowl.
- Carefully top each bowl with meringue.
- Drizzle the caramel syrup over the meringue.
- Serve the floating islands immediately.
Equipment and tools
- mixing bowl
- slotted spoon
- baking pan
Please note that this recipe contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products (milk, cream)
Storage and leftovers
Once prepared, the Floating Islands with Caramel Sauce can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, warm gently in the microwave or on the stove until warmed through. However, for optimal flavor and texture, it is best to consume them fresh.
Health Benefits of Floating Islands with Caramel Sauce
Enjoying a delicious dessert like Floating Islands with Caramel Sauce will not only satisfy your sweet tooth, but can also provide some surprising health benefits. Let’s explore the nutritional value and benefits of this delicious treat.
1. Good source of protein
The presence of egg whites and yolks in the Floating Islands recipe makes this dessert a fantastic source of protein. Protein is essential for various functions in the body, including building and repairing tissue, supporting immune health, and regulating hormones.
2. Rich in calcium
Thanks to the combination of whole milk and half cream, Floating Islands with Caramel Sauce provide a significant amount of calcium. Calcium is crucial for maintaining strong bones and teeth, as well as supporting muscle function and blood clotting.
3. Antioxidant properties
The vanilla essence used in this recipe contains antioxidants that can help protect your cells from damage caused by harmful free radicals. Antioxidants play a role in reducing the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease and certain types of cancer.
4. Nutrient-rich dessert
Caramel Sauce Floating Islands provide a variety of essential nutrients. The presence of vitamins such as vitamin A, vitamin D and vitamin E from eggs and cream contributes to overall well-being. Additionally, the cornmeal used in the recipe contains some minerals, including iron and potassium.
5. Moderation and balance
Although caramel sauce floating islands may provide health benefits, it is important to consume them in moderation and maintain a balanced diet. The recipe contains moderate amounts of sugar, which should be enjoyed consciously as part of a healthy diet.
So next time you treat yourself to Floating Islands with Caramel Sauce, you can not only enjoy their delicious taste, but also the potential health benefits they offer as a treat. Enjoy this well-rounded dessert and enjoy the treat it brings to your senses.