This budget-friendly dinner is a delicious and quick weeknight meal that’s guaranteed to fill you up. The fish cakes are full of flavor and combine the perfect mix of lime and coconut. Not only are they incredibly tasty, but they are also a healthy choice thanks to their high omega-3 content. You can easily make a large batch and freeze it for when you feel hungry and need a convenient and filling snack. With these flavorful fish cakes you’ll always have a delicious meal on hand.
- 4 salmon fillets
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (or other oil of your choice) plus 1 tsp
- 150g gluten-free bread, crushed into breadcrumbs
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1 red chili pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- Zest of 2 limes, juice of ½
- 50g gluten-free flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 50g desiccated coconut
- Chili sauce for serving
- rocket, for serving
- Place the salmon in a microwave-safe bowl, brush with 1 teaspoon of oil, cover with cling film and cook on high for 2-3 minutes.
- Once cooled, remove the skin and cut the salmon into small pieces in a large bowl.
- Stir 100 g of breadcrumbs into the salmon along with the shallot, chili and lime zest.
- Squeeze out the lime juice, season well and form into eight patties.
- Place flour, beaten egg and remaining breadcrumbs on separate plates.
- Add the coconut to the breadcrumbs and season the flour a little.
- Dip the patties first in the flour, then in the egg and finally in the breadcrumbs.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
- Bake the fish cakes for about 3 minutes on each side.
- You’ll need to do this in two batches, so keep the first four fish cakes warm in a low oven.
- Serve with arugula or a green salad and the sweet chili sauce.
Equipment and tools
To prepare this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- frying pan
- Blender or food processor
- spatula or spoon
- tablespoons and teaspoons
- Whisk or fork
Please note the following allergen information for this recipe:
- This recipe contains fish (salmon fillets).
- Coconut oil and coconut flakes are used in this recipe.
- Because gluten-free bread and flour are used, this recipe is also suitable for people with gluten allergies or intolerances.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers or need to store the fish cakes, here are some tips:
- Allow the fish cakes to cool completely before storing.
- Place the fish cakes in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- To eat, you can either warm them up in a pan with a little oil or enjoy them cold.
Health Benefits of Lime and Coconut Fish Cakes
Lime and coconut fish cakes are not only a delicious meal but also offer a number of health benefits. Packed with nutritious ingredients, this recipe combines the goodness of salmon, coconut, lime and gluten-free alternatives. Let’s explore the various health benefits of these ingredients:
Salmon is a fatty fish rich in omega-3 fatty acids, particularly EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid). These essential fatty acids are known for their anti-inflammatory properties and are associated with numerous health benefits, including improved heart health, brain function, and reduced risk of chronic disease.
2. Coconut oil
The coconut oil used in this recipe is a healthier alternative to other oils. It contains medium-chain fatty acids (MCFAs) that are easily digested and converted into energy. Additionally, there is evidence that coconut oil may increase HDL (good) cholesterol levels and potentially help with weight control.
3. Gluten-free bread
The use of gluten-free breadcrumbs and flour in this recipe makes it suitable for those with gluten intolerance or celiac disease. Gluten can cause digestive problems and discomfort in sensitive people. Therefore, opting for gluten-free alternatives can help prevent these symptoms.
Limes are citrus fruits rich in vitamin C, antioxidants and flavonoids. Vitamin C is essential for a healthy immune system, while antioxidants help protect the body from oxidative stress. Flavonoids are associated with anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties.
5. Dried coconut
Dried coconut gives the fish cakes a delicious tropical flavor. Although it is high in saturated fat, it also provides fiber and essential minerals such as iron and manganese. As with most foods, moderation is key when consuming shredded coconut.
6. Chili sauce and arugula
Chili sauce and arugula are optional accompaniments to the fish cakes. Chili sauce can add a kick of heat to the dish, and spicy foods can boost metabolism and reduce appetite. Arugula, on the other hand, is a leafy vegetable that provides a good source of vitamins A and K as well as other important nutrients.
Overall, lime and coconut fish cakes are a flavorful and nutritious option for seafood lovers. By incorporating these ingredients into your diet, you can enjoy a range of health benefits, from improved cardiovascular health to improved immune function. So why not try this recipe and delight your taste buds while nourishing your body?