Treat yourself to the irresistible taste of this delicious “Fiorentina baked pasta” recipe. This quick and easy dish is deliciously creamy and full of Italian flavors that will leave your taste buds wanting more. Finished with a golden cheese crust, it is a harmonious mix of textures and flavors that will make your mouth water. And the best part is, it’s perfect for leftovers! So go ahead, enjoy this delicious pasta bake for dinner and enjoy the convenience of reheating it for a delicious lunch the next day – assuming there are any leftovers to enjoy!
- 300g pasta (we used penne)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 500g chestnut mushrooms, halved or quartered if large
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 350g fresh spinach and cheese sauce from the box (or make your own – see “Try” below)
- 50g vegetarian Parmesan cheese (Twineham Grange Italian cheese is best), grated
Make your own sauce
How to make your own spinach
and cheese sauce, simple
Defrost, drain and chop two pieces well
Add handful of frozen spinach and mix
a 250g can of mascarpone and a handful
grated Parmesan cheese.
- Cook the pasta for 10 minutes, then drain and return to the pan.
- Preheat the grill to medium heat.
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil and fry the mushrooms over high heat for 5 minutes, until lightly golden brown.
- Reduce the heat and add the garlic to the pan. Fry for another minute until the garlic softens.
- Season the mushroom mixture with salt and pepper, then place it in a large, shallow baking dish.
- Mix the spinach sauce and half of the cheese with the pasta. Place it back on the stove and cook for a few minutes until heated through.
- Season the pasta mixture to taste, then distribute it evenly over the mushrooms in the baking dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the pasta and place under the grill.
- Grill until the cheese turns golden brown and the sauce begins to bubble, about 5 minutes.
Equipment and tools
To prepare baked Fiorentina pasta you will need the following equipment and tools:
- baking pan
- frying pan
The Fiorentina baked pasta recipe may contain the following allergens:
- Gluten from pasta
- Dairy products from cheese
Please check the pasta and cheese brands used for any allergen warnings.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftover baked Fiorentina pasta, you can store it as follows:
- Allow the pasta to cool completely.
- Transfer the leftovers to an airtight container.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat, you can either microwave individual portions or place the pasta in a baking dish, cover with foil, and bake in the oven until warmed through.
Health Benefits of Baked Fiorentina Pasta
The baked Fiorentina pasta is a delicious and hearty dish that will not only satisfy your taste buds but also provide numerous health benefits. This recipe is packed with healthy ingredients and includes pasta, olive oil, chestnut mushrooms, garlic, spinach, cheese sauce and vegetarian Parmesan-style cheese. Let’s delve deeper into the health benefits each of these ingredients offers:
Pasta is a versatile and energy-dense food that is an excellent source of carbohydrates. It provides your body with the fuel it needs for daily activities. Pasta also contains fiber, which aids digestion and helps keep you fuller for longer.
Olive oil, used to sauté the mushrooms and garlic in this recipe, is a healthy source of monounsaturated fats. These fats are known to support heart health by lowering LDL cholesterol levels and reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease.
Chestnut mushrooms not only add a rich and earthy flavor to the dish but also provide various health benefits. They are low in calories and fat while also being a good source of vitamins, minerals and fiber. Additionally, mushrooms are rich in antioxidants that boost your immune system.
Garlic not only improves the taste of the dish but also offers numerous health benefits. It contains compounds proven to have antimicrobial, antiviral and anticancer properties. Garlic is also known to improve heart health by lowering blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
Fresh spinach used in the sauce is a nutritional powerhouse. It is rich in vitamins A, C and K as well as iron, calcium and folic acid. Spinach is known to support bone health, boost the immune system and aid digestion.
The cheese sauce used in this recipe adds creaminess and richness to the dish. Although it is important to consume cheese in moderation due to its high fat content, it still provides important nutrients such as calcium and protein. Additionally, using a vegetarian parmesan cheese ensures that no animal rennet is used.
Vegetarian Parmesan-style cheese
Vegetarian Parmesan cheese, such as Italian-style Twineham Grange cheese, adds a savory flavor to the dish while also being suitable for vegetarians. It is a good source of calcium, essential for bone health, and offers a decent amount of protein.
Overall, baked Fiorentina pasta is not only a tasty and filling dish but also offers several health benefits. Incorporating these ingredients into your diet can contribute to a balanced and nutritious lifestyle.