Treat yourself to the heavenly combination of honey-roasted figs and crunchy almonds with this delicious cake. The rich, sweet flavors are perfectly balanced, making it a delicious dessert. Serve with a dollop of cream or a scoop of ice cream to enhance the flavor. You can save time by using store-bought pastry for the baking pan, ensuring a stress-free baking experience. This exquisite cake is guaranteed to impress your guests, making it ideal for any special occasion or a well-deserved treat.
- 500g pack of shortcrust pastry at room temperature, thawed if frozen
- 8 ripe figs, stems cut off
- finely grated peel of a large, juicy orange
- 1 tbsp clear honey
- 200 g soft butter
- 200g golden powdered sugar
- 200g packet of ground almonds
- 2 medium egg yolks
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan/200°C top/gas.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface and line a flat, 25cm loose-bottomed flan pan.
- Chill for 30 minutes.
- Halve the figs lengthwise and place them cut side up on a roasting tray.
- Mix the orange juice and honey in a bowl, pour over the figs and roast for 10-12 minutes.
- Pour the juice into a pot and reserve.
- Prick the bottom of the chilled dough all over with a fork.
- Line with baking paper and fill with baking beans.
- Blind bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove paper and beans and bake for another 5-10 minutes until the dough is golden brown.
- Reduce temperature to fan 130°C/conventional 150°C/gas 2.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a food processor or with an electric mixer until a smooth, light mixture is formed.
- Add the ground almonds and peel and stir briefly.
- Add the egg yolk and 1 tablespoon of the reserved fig juice and stir again until smooth.
- Spread evenly over the dough base.
- Gently press the figs, cut side up, into the almond mixture.
- Bake for 1¼ hours or until golden brown.
- Let it rest in the tin for 15 minutes, then remove the edge and place on the base on a wire rack to cool.
- Before serving, remove the tart from the base and place it on a flat plate or board.
- If there is any juice left over from roasting the figs, bring it to the boil and simmer for 1-2 minutes until it is sticky and syrupy.
- Brush the figs with it and serve as quickly as possible.
Equipment and tools
- mixing bowl
- rolling pin
- 9-inch tart pan
- Bake beans
- baking tray
- Pastry brush
This recipe contains the following allergens:
Please ensure that these allergens are safe for anyone consuming the cake.
Storage and leftovers
Once baked, the tart can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days. For longer storage, store the tart in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. It can also be frozen for up to 2 months. To serve leftovers, reheat tart in preheated 350°F oven until warmed through.
The Health Benefits of Honey Roasted Fig and Almond Tarts
The honey-roasted fig and almond tart not only tantalizes the taste buds but also offers a wealth of health benefits. This delicious dessert combines the natural sweetness of ripe figs with the goodness of almonds, all with the heavenly touch of honey.
1. Nutritional powerhouse
The cake’s main ingredient, almonds, is a nutritional powerhouse. Almonds are packed with essential vitamins, minerals and healthy fats and promote overall well-being. They are rich in vitamin E, which acts as a powerful antioxidant and protects the body from damage caused by harmful free radicals.
2. Heart-healthy goodness
Almonds are known for their heart-protective properties. They contain healthy monounsaturated fats that help improve cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease. Additionally, almonds are a great source of magnesium, which supports heart health by maintaining normal blood pressure.
3. Digestive support
Figs, one of the main ingredients in this tart, offer remarkable digestive benefits. They are an excellent source of fiber, aid digestion and promote regular bowel movements. Eating fiber-rich foods like figs can prevent constipation and promote a healthy gut.
4. Strengthening the immune system
The honey roasted fig and almond tart is not only delicious but also strengthens your immune system. Honey, a natural sweetener, is known for its antimicrobial and antibacterial properties. It can help fight off infections and strengthen the body’s defenses against disease.
5. Nutrient-rich fruits
Fig, the star fruit of this cake, offers a range of nutrients. It contains essential vitamins including vitamin A, vitamin K and various B vitamins. Figs are also a good source of minerals such as potassium and calcium, which are important for maintaining healthy bones and muscles.
6. Antioxidant protection
The orange peel used in this recipe not only adds a hint of citrus flavor, but also a dose of antioxidants. Oranges are rich in vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant that protects the body from oxidative stress. Antioxidants play a crucial role in neutralizing harmful free radicals and reducing the risk of chronic diseases.
When you enjoy a slice of honey-roasted fig and almond tart, you can enjoy both the pleasure of a delicious dessert and the numerous health benefits it offers. So treat yourself to this delicious combination of taste and nutrients!