Potato gratin is a classic dish typically found in French bistros. This delicious recipe, tailored to serve two, gives the traditional gratin a delicious touch of mild aniseed flavor with the addition of fennel. Combining the creaminess of the potatoes with the distinct flavor of fennel creates a harmonious and sophisticated culinary experience. Treat yourself to this delicious potato gratin for a filling and tasty dining experience.
- 225g medium potatoes, sliced very thinly
- 1 small fennel bulb, sliced, fronds set aside
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 75 ml whole milk
- 100 ml cream
- Butter, for ramekins
- 2 tbsp finely grated Parmesan (or vegetarian alternative)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
- Place potatoes, fennel and garlic in a medium non-stick pan.
- Add the milk and cream, season well and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes, stirring halfway through, until the potatoes are just tender.
- Divide the mixture between two small (approx. 150 ml) buttered ramekins and sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Bake for 40 minutes, until the potatoes are golden brown and tender when pierced with a knife.
- Before serving, cut off the reserved fennel fronds.
Equipment and tools
- Mandoline slicer or sharp knife for cutting potatoes and fennel
- Garlic press or knife for finely chopping garlic
- measuring cup
- Grater for Parmesan cheese
- Ramekins or ovenproof baking dish for baking
This fennel dauphinoise recipe may contain the following allergens:
- Dairy products: whole milk, double cream, butter, parmesan cheese
Please be sure to check ingredient labels for potential allergens if you have any known allergies or dietary restrictions.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftover fennel dauphinoise, follow these storage guidelines:
- Allow the dish to cool completely before storing.
- Place leftovers in an airtight container or cover ramekins tightly with plastic wrap.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To reheat, remove from refrigerator and place in preheated oven at 180°C (350°F) for about 15-20 minutes or until heated through.
Note that the texture and consistency may change slightly when reheated.
Health Benefits of Fennel Dauphinoise
Fennel Dauphinoise is a delicious and comforting dish that combines the richness of potatoes and cream with the unique flavor of fennel. Not only is it a delight for the taste buds, but it also offers numerous health benefits. Let’s explore some of the reasons why you should include this dish in your menu:
1. Nutrient-rich potatoes
The main ingredient in Fennel Dauphinoise is potatoes, which are an excellent source of essential nutrients. Potatoes are rich in vitamin C, potassium and fiber. Vitamin C acts as an antioxidant and helps protect the body from damage caused by harmful free radicals. Potassium is essential for maintaining healthy blood pressure, while fiber supports a healthy digestive system.
2. Fennel: A digestive aid
Including fennel in your meals not only provides a unique taste but also offers various health benefits. Fennel contains plenty of fiber, which aids digestion by promoting regular bowel movements and preventing constipation. It also contains compounds that may help reduce inflammation and relieve stomach discomfort.
3. Garlic for heart health
Using garlic in Fennel Dauphinoise not only improves the flavor but also contributes to heart health. Garlic has been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties and may help lower cholesterol, ultimately reducing the risk of heart disease. It may also support the immune system and have antimicrobial properties.
4. Vitamin-rich milk and cream
The combination of whole milk and double cream gives Fennel Dauphinoise a creamy and delicious texture. These dairy products are excellent sources of important vitamins and minerals. They contain calcium, which is crucial for maintaining strong bones and teeth, as well as vitamin D, which helps the body absorb calcium effectively.
5. Parmesan: A source of protein
The addition of Parmesan not only gives this dish a savory flavor but is also a good source of protein. Protein is essential for building and repairing tissue, promoting healthy hair and nails, and supporting muscle growth and development.
By incorporating Fennel Dauphinoise into your diet, you can enjoy a delicious dish while reaping the health benefits of its nutritious ingredients. From nutrient-packed potatoes and fennel to heart-healthy garlic and calcium-rich dairy, this recipe offers a well-rounded and flavorful option for a satisfying meal.