Are you looking for a family-friendly and uncomplicated meal idea? Our easy fish cakes are just what you need! These delicious fish cakes can be enjoyed as a complete family meal or prepared individually and frozen, making them the perfect solution for busy evenings when you need to prepare a quick dinner for your little ones. Whether you have toddlers or teenagers, these versatile fish cakes are sure to please any palate. So why wait? Try our delicious homemade fish cakes today!
- 1 x pack of fish pie mix (cod, salmon, smoked haddock etc., weight approx. 320-400g depending on pack size)
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 100 ml milk
- 450 g potatoes, peeled, large potatoes cut in half
- 75g frozen sweetcorn, thawed
- a handful of grated cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- flour, for dusting
- Olive oil, for frying
- Cook the potatoes in boiling water until just tender. Drain well and return to the pan over low heat. Heat for another minute or two to evaporate excess liquid. Mash the potato with a small piece of butter. Let cool down.
- Place the fish spring onions and milk in a shallow bowl, cover with cling film and microwave for 1 ½ – 2 minutes until cooked through. If you don’t have a microwave, put everything in a pot and cook gently until just opaque and cooked through.
- Drain the fish and spring onions through a fine sieve. Gently mix the potatoes into the potatoes, avoiding over-shredding the fish. Also add the sweetcorn, cheddar cheese and a generous grind of black pepper. Form into 6 – 8 patties. The cooler the mashed potatoes are, the easier it is to form the patties, as the mixture is very soft when warm.
- Pour the egg onto one plate and sprinkle flour on the other. Dip the patties first in egg and then in flour and arrange on baking paper on a tray. If the patties feel very soft, place the patties in the refrigerator for at least half an hour to firm up. At this point you can freeze the individually wrapped patties. Thoroughly thaw it before moving on to the next stage.
- Heat a large frying pan with a generous drizzle of olive oil. Once the oil is hot, carefully place the fish cakes in the pan. Bake for 5-7 minutes until the bottom is golden brown, then carefully flip over. Cook for another 5-7 minutes until the bottom is golden brown and heated through.
Equipment and tools
- Fork or masher
- frying pan
This recipe contains dairy products (milk and cheese), fish and eggs. If you have allergies or dietary restrictions, please be sure to check the ingredients packaging to ensure they are suitable for you.
Storage and leftovers
Once cooked, these fish cakes can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To enjoy them later, simply reheat them in the oven at 180°C for about 10-15 minutes until heated through. They can also be frozen for up to 2 months. To freeze, place the cooked fish cakes on a baking sheet and place in the freezer until frozen solid. Once frozen, place them in a freezer bag or container. To reheat them from frozen, bake them in the oven at 180°C for about 20-25 minutes.
Health Benefits of “Family Meals: Easy Fishcakes”
Family dinners are an essential part of building strong bonds and promoting healthy eating habits among loved ones. Family Meals: Easy Fishcakes is a delicious and nutritious recipe that everyone can enjoy. In addition to being a tasty dish, it also offers several health benefits thanks to its ingredients.
Fish pie mix
The addition of a fish pie mix, often made from cod, salmon, smoked haddock and other varieties, is an excellent source of lean protein. Fish is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which are important for brain health and reduce the risk of heart disease. It also provides vital nutrients such as vitamin D and B12, iodine and selenium.
Adding finely chopped green onions to the fish cakes not only improves their taste but also adds to their nutritional value. Green onions are rich in vitamins A, C and K, as well as antioxidants, which strengthen the immune system and protect against certain chronic diseases.
The milk used in the recipe is an excellent source of calcium, which is crucial for strong bones and teeth. It also provides proteins, vitamins and minerals that help maintain overall health. While some people choose low-fat milk for a lower calorie intake, whole milk can provide important nutrients and healthy fats.
The inclusion of potatoes in this dish gives it substance and numerous nutritional benefits. Potatoes are a good source of fiber, potassium, vitamin C and vitamin B6. They help regulate blood pressure, support heart health and ensure sustained energy levels.
Frozen sweet corn
Thawed frozen sweet corn not only adds a touch of color to the fish cakes, but also adds to their nutritional profile. Sweet corn contains fiber, vitamins A and C, and several antioxidants that support healthy digestion and help maintain healthy skin.
Grated cheddar cheese
Adding a handful of grated cheddar cheese gives the fish cakes a delicious cheesy flavor. Although cheese should be consumed in moderation due to its high fat content, it contains important nutrients such as calcium, phosphorus and protein.
Adding a large beaten egg to the mixture will help bind the ingredients together better. Eggs are a fantastic source of essential amino acids, vitamins and minerals. They also provide high-quality protein and contribute to eye and brain health.
Finally, olive oil is used to fry the fish cakes. Olive oil is a healthier alternative to other cooking oils thanks to its monounsaturated fats and antioxidants, which support heart health and help reduce inflammation in the body.
By combining these ingredients, Family Meals: Easy Fish Cakes not only creates a delicious meal but also offers numerous health benefits. From essential omega-3 fatty acids and lean protein to vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, this recipe is a great choice for a balanced and nutritious family meal.