A plate salad that is perfect for sharing with the whole family. Enjoy the flavors of the Middle East with our delicious falafel tabbouleh. Crispy and flavorful falafel balls are served on a bed of fresh tabbouleh salad, made with a mix of bulgur, chopped parsley and tomatoes. Generously garnished with a tangy lemon yogurt dressing for a refreshing touch. This delicious dish is not only nutritious but also a great option for vegetarians. So gather your loved ones and treat yourself to this delicious and healthy feast!
- 16 finished falafels
- 200g couscous
- 2 large lemons, 1 grated zest, juice from both
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Bunch of spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 cucumber, halved and sliced
- small bunch of mint, leaves roughly chopped
- large bunch of parsley, leaves roughly chopped
- 150 ml cup of natural yogurt
Prepare salad and
like diving left. Rub in
soaked with 50g
with 2 teaspoons of harissa
paste, 1 tsp cumin
seeds, 1 tsp
Roast for 20 minutes
at 200C/180C fan/
Gas 6, then for
20 min. per
450g/1 pound at 180°C/
160 °C fan/gas 4.
- Cook the falafel according to package instructions and boil in the kettle.
- Place the couscous in a large bowl, pour 325ml boiling water over it, cover and let stand for 5 minutes until all the water is absorbed.
- Fluff the couscous with a fork.
- Stir in the lemon zest, juice of 1½ lemons, olive oil, spring onions, cucumber, mint and three quarters of the parsley and season generously.
- Transfer the couscous mixture to a large platter.
- Mix the remaining lemon juice and parsley into the yogurt.
- Place the yogurt mixture in a small bowl.
- Scatter the hot falafel over the couscous salad.
- Serve the yogurt sauce with the falafel and couscous salad.
Equipment and tools
To prepare falafel tabbouleh with lemon yogurt, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- cutting board
- Large mixing bowl
- spoon or spatula
- Lemon peel
- measuring spoon
- measuring cup
The recipe for falafel tabbouleh with lemon yogurt contains the following allergens:
- Gluten (from couscous)
- Dairy products (from natural yogurt)
Please consider these allergens if you or anyone consuming the dish has food intolerances or allergies.
Storage and leftovers
If there are any leftover falafel tabbouleh with lemon yogurt, here are some storage options:
- Place the leftovers in an airtight container.
- Store them in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
When reheating, you can either enjoy the dish cold or warm it up in the microwave or on the stove.
Health Benefits of Falafel Tabbouleh with Lemon Yogurt
When it comes to healthy and delicious meals, falafel tabbouleh with lemon yogurt is the perfect choice. Packed with nutritious ingredients and full of flavor, this Mediterranean dish offers numerous health benefits. Let’s take a closer look at some of the key elements:
Falafel, made from ground chickpeas or faba beans, is a great source of plant-based protein. With about 5-6 pieces per serving, this dish provides a filling amount of protein and will help keep you full and energized throughout the day. It is also rich in fiber, which aids digestion and helps control blood sugar levels.
Tabbouleh, the traditional Middle Eastern salad, imparts several health benefits to this dish. The main ingredient, couscous, is a low-fat source of complex carbohydrates that ensures consistent energy release. In addition, it is a good source of B vitamins, which are essential for maintaining overall health and well-being.
The abundance of fresh herbs in tabbouleh, including parsley and mint, provide more than just flavor. This vegetable is full of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. For example, parsley is rich in vitamin K, vitamin C, and potassium, while mint is known for its calming properties and potential digestive benefits.
The addition of spring onions and cucumbers further increases the nutritional value of tabbouleh. Green onions are a source of vitamin C and fiber, while cucumbers are hydrating and an excellent source of vitamins and minerals.
The lemon yogurt dressing in this recipe adds a tangy and refreshing touch to the dish while providing health benefits. Yogurt is a good source of calcium, protein and probiotics, which can promote a healthy gut and improve digestion. Lemons are rich in vitamin C, an antioxidant that boosts the immune system and supports overall health.
Combining all of these ingredients creates a well-rounded dish that not only tastes great but also nourishes your body. The falafel tabbouleh with lemon yogurt is a filling meal that offers a good balance of protein, complex carbohydrates, healthy fats and important vitamins and minerals. It’s a versatile option suitable for vegetarians and those looking to incorporate more plant-based meals into their diet.
Whether you enjoy it as a main dish or as a side dish, this Mediterranean treat is a delicious way to enjoy the health benefits of its wholesome ingredients.