Introducing the exquisite Elegant Berry Wreath Cake, a dessert that effortlessly combines simplicity and elegance. This delightful creation strikes the perfect balance between modern sophistication and soothing tradition.
Crafted with care, this cake is a testament to minimalist beauty, with a stunning wreath of luscious berries adorning its smooth, velvety surface. Its appeal lies not only in its visual splendor but also in its heavenly taste.
Enjoy the harmonious mix of flavors as every bite reveals the sweet and spicy notes of fresh berries, perfectly complemented by a juicy and tender cake. This recipe captures the essence of time-honored baking traditions while adding a modern twist.
- 500g pack of natural marzipan
- 3 tbsp apricot jam, warmed and sieved
- 400g powdered sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg white
- 50g golden powdered sugar
- several eucalyptus branches (smaller-leaved varieties look best)
- Plenty of fresh bay leaves, preferably in twigs
- 100g cranberries, thawed if frozen
- Prepare the hot toddy fruit cake mix according to the recipe.
- Grease and double line a round, deep cake tin (23 cm).
- Peel the label off an empty 400g can and wash well.
- Butter the outside of the tin and wrap it in non-stick baking paper.
- Fill the tin a third full with baking beans, rice or dried legumes to weigh it down.
- Position the can in the center of the can.
- Spread the cake mixture around the “ring” and smooth the top.
- Bake at 160 °C/fan 140 °C/gas for 3 1½ hours.
- Reduce the heat to 140°C/fan 120°C/gas 1 and bake for a further hour or until a skewer comes out clean.
- While the cake is still warm, poke holes in it with a skewer.
- Dissolve the sugar in the tea and add the whiskey or orange juice.
- Spoon the mixture over the surface of the cake.
- If you make the cake in advance, feed it a fresh sip of hot toddy every week.
- Store the cake in a well-packaged, airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to a month.
- If time is short, the cake can be baked and decorated the same day.
- Beat the egg whites lightly and place the powdered sugar on a flat plate or tray.
- Dip the tips of the leaves into the egg whites, shake off any excess, and dip into the sugar to coat.
- Let the leaves dry while you cover the cake with marzipan.
- If using frozen cranberries, thaw them and dry them on a kitchen towel.
- Roll out the marzipan into a 23cm circle or use the bottom of the cake tin as a guide to cut out a round shape.
- Spread the top of the cake with jam and place it on the marzipan with the jam side down.
- Press the tin through the hole in the center of the cake to punch out any excess marzipan.
- Turn the cake right side up and place it on a cake plate.
- Sift the powdered sugar and beat it with the egg white until fluffy.
- Spread the glaze on the marzipan with a spatula.
- Decorate the top of the cake with cranberries, bay leaves and frosted eucalyptus sprigs.
- Let the cake set overnight before cutting.
- The cake can be decorated up to a day in advance and kept wrapped in foil until frosting is applied.
Equipment and tools
- mixing bowl
- rolling pin
- Round cake tin
- baking paper
- Palette knife
- icing spatula
This elegant berry wreath cake recipe contains the following allergens:
- Nuts (marzipan)
Please ensure you are aware of any special dietary needs or allergies your guests may have.
Storage and leftovers
This elegant berry wreath cake can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. If there are any leftovers, they can also be frozen for later enjoyment.
Health Benefits of Elegant Berry Wreath Cake
The elegant Berry Wreath Cake not only serves as a delicious dessert to satisfy your sweet tooth, but also offers several health benefits thanks to its nutritious ingredients.
The use of natural marzipan in this cake provides a rich source of healthy fats from almonds. Almonds are rich in vitamin E, which acts as a powerful antioxidant and protects our cells from damage caused by free radicals. In addition, almonds are known for their high fiber content, which aids digestion and promotes satiety.
Apricot jam not only gives the cake a delicious fruity taste but also contributes to its health benefits. Apricots are a great source of vitamins A and C, which are essential for maintaining healthy skin, boosting the immune system, and overall antioxidant protection. In addition, apricots contain fiber, which aids digestion.
The addition of cranberries gives this cake both a vibrant color and a tart flavor. Cranberries are known for their high levels of antioxidants, particularly flavonoids, which play a crucial role in reducing the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease. These berries are also rich in vitamin C, fiber and various beneficial plant compounds.
The recipe calls for egg whites, which are a low-calorie source of high-quality protein. They are virtually fat-free and low in cholesterol, making them an excellent choice for people looking to reduce their saturated fat intake. In addition, protein is rich in essential amino acids, which are essential for muscle repair and growth.
Eucalyptus branches and bay leaves
Although the eucalyptus branches and bay leaves in the Elegant Berry Wreath Cake are used primarily for decorative purposes, they do offer some potential health benefits. Eucalyptus is known for its calming properties and is traditionally used for respiratory diseases due to its expectorant effects. Bay leaves, on the other hand, contain essential oils that have antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
In summary, the Elegant Berry Wreath Cake is more than a visually impressive dessert. It contains various healthy ingredients that can contribute to your overall well-being. So treat yourself to this elegant treat knowing that it will not only satisfy your taste buds but also provide some nutritional value.