This Elderberry Almond Cake recipe is a delightful fall treat that will satisfy your family’s sweet tooth. Made from the finest ingredients, it embodies the flavors of the season and is perfect for intimate gatherings. The combination of juicy elderberries and crunchy almonds ensures a harmonious balance of textures. Top it all off with a generous dollop of fresh cream or a scoop of creamy vanilla ice cream to take your slice to new levels of indulgence. With every bite you will be transported to a world of autumnal bliss.
- 20 sprigs of elderberries
- 200g golden icing sugar or less depending on your taste for sweetness
- Flour for dusting
- Butter for greasing
- 250g shortcrust pastry, thawed if frozen
- 200g ground almonds
- Crème fraîche, yogurt or ice cream to serve
Recipe adapted from “The Hedgerow Handbook – Recieps, Remedies and Rituals,” published by Square Peg
- Make a syrup by first washing the berries well and removing the stems.
- Place the berries in a saucepan with 2 tablespoons of water and half the sugar.
- Simmer the berries for 10 minutes, adding more sugar if necessary.
- After 10-15 minutes, let the syrup cool and strain it through a fine sieve to remove any seeds. Put aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface.
- Cut the dough into two circles – one large enough to line the bottom of a 20cm cake tin and the other for the lid.
- Grease the mold with butter and line the base with the larger sheet of dough.
- Sprinkle ground almonds over the dough.
- Pour the elderberry syrup over the ground almonds.
- Brush the edges of the dough with water.
- Drape the smaller circle of dough over the filling and crimp or pinch the edges together.
- Make a hole in the top of the cake.
- Brush the top with water and sprinkle with the remaining sugar.
- Bake the cake for 40-45 minutes until the dough is crispy and golden brown.
- Let the cake cool slightly.
- Enjoy the cake warm, cut into slices and serve with crème fraîche, yoghurt or ice cream.
Equipment and tools
- rolling pin
- cake tin or tin
- mixing bowl
- wooden spoon
- measuring cup
- measuring spoon
This elderberry almond cake may contain the following allergens:
- Tree nuts (almonds)
- Dairy products (crème fraîche, yogurt or ice cream)
Storage and leftovers
How to store the elderberry almond cake:
- Allow the cake to cool completely.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap or place in an airtight container.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat leftover cake:
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Place the cake on a baking sheet and cover loosely with foil.
- Reheat in the oven for about 15 minutes or until heated through.
Note: The quality and texture of the cake may change slightly after cooling and reheating. It is best enjoyed fresh.
Health Benefits of Elderberry and Almond Cake
Elderberry almond cake not only tastes delicious but also offers several health benefits. Both elderberries and almonds are known for their nutritious properties, making this cake a great choice for anyone who wants to enjoy a tasty treat while nourishing their body.
1. Rich in antioxidants
Elderberries are rich in antioxidants, which protect the body from oxidative stress and free radical damage. These antioxidants can help boost the immune system, reduce inflammation, and support overall wellness.
2. Strengthens the immune system
Elderberries are known for their immune-boosting properties. They are high in vitamin C, which is essential for a healthy immune system and can help prevent and fight colds and flu. Consuming elderberries may also help reduce the duration and severity of respiratory infections.
3. Supports digestive health
Almonds, one of the cake’s main ingredients, are a good source of fiber. Fiber is essential for maintaining a healthy digestive system, promoting regular bowel movements and preventing constipation. Including almonds in your diet can help support healthy gut flora and generally improve digestion.
4. Provides essential nutrients
Almonds are not only delicious, but also nutrient-rich. They are a good source of healthy fats, vitamin E, magnesium and protein. These nutrients play various roles in the body, including supporting heart health, promoting brain function, and providing energy.
5. May help with weight management
The combination of elderberries and almonds in this cake can have a positive effect on weight management. Elderberries are naturally low in calories and high in fiber, helping you feel fuller for longer. Almonds, on the other hand, provide healthy fats and proteins, which can also contribute to an increased feeling of satiety and fewer food cravings.
Overall, enjoying a piece of elderberry almond cake not only satisfies your taste buds but also offers numerous health benefits. From boosting the immune system to aiding digestion and providing essential nutrients, this delicious dessert can be enjoyed guilt-free.
Tip: Serve the cake with crème fraîche, yogurt or a scoop of ice cream for extra creaminess and flavor.
Photo credit: Recipe adapted from “The Hedgerow Handbook – Recipes, Remedies and Rituals,” published by Square Peg.