Looking for a simple and delicious dish for a relaxed weekend brunch or light lunch? Try our recipe for baked eggs with tomatoes! These eggs are prepared with a spicy garlic tomato sauce that is sure to tantalize your taste buds. Served alongside crusty bread, this dish is both filling and comforting. With minimal effort, you can make these easy baked eggs and enjoy a delicious meal in no time. Perfect for those days when you want an uncomplicated yet delicious option. Try it and you won’t be disappointed!
- 900g ripe vine tomatoes
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 large free range eggs
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley and/or chives
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C fan/200°C fan/gas 6.
2. Cut the tomatoes into quarters or thick wedges depending on their size.
3. Spread the tomatoes in a relatively shallow 1.5 liter baking dish.
4. Peel the garlic, cut it into thin slices and sprinkle over the tomatoes.
5. Drizzle the tomatoes with olive oil.
6. Season the tomatoes well with salt and pepper.
7. Mix everything until the tomatoes are shiny.
8. Put the dish in the oven and bake for 40 minutes.
9. Check if the tomatoes have become soft and brown.
10. Make four gaps between the tomatoes.
11. Crack an egg into each gap.
12. Cover the form with foil.
13. Place the dish back in the oven for 5-10 minutes.
14. Check that the eggs are to your liking.
15. Sprinkle the herbs on top.
16. Serve the eggs baked with tomatoes hot.
17. Serve with thick slices of toast or warm ciabatta.
18. Serve with a green salad on the side.
Equipment and tools
- cutting board
- baking pan
- Garlic press
- measuring spoon
Please note that this recipe contains eggs. If you suffer from egg allergy, it is recommended to avoid this dish or look for a suitable alternative.
Storage and leftovers
If there are any leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat in the oven or microwave until warmed through before eating.
Health Benefits of Baked Tomato Eggs
Tomato baked eggs, also known as shakshuka, are a delicious and nutritious breakfast dish that combines the goodness of eggs with the tangy taste of ripe vine tomatoes. This savory recipe not only satisfies your taste buds but also offers several health benefits. Let’s explore some of the nutritional benefits of this delicious dish:
1. Rich in antioxidants
Tomatoes, the main ingredient in tomato baked eggs, are a powerhouse of antioxidants. They contain lycopene, an antioxidant that gives tomatoes their bright red color. Lycopene has been linked to a reduction in the risk of chronic diseases, including heart disease and certain types of cancer.
2. Excellent source of vitamins
Tomatoes are full of essential vitamins that contribute to your overall well-being. They are particularly rich in vitamin C, which supports a healthy immune system and helps your body absorb iron. In addition, tomatoes contain vitamin A, which promotes good eyesight, healthy skin and growth.
3. Heart healthy
The combination of tomatoes and olive oil in tomato baked eggs makes it a heart-healthy dish. Tomatoes have been shown to lower levels of LDL cholesterol, also known as “bad” cholesterol, which can lead to atherosclerosis and heart disease. Olive oil, on the other hand, is rich in monounsaturated fats, which support heart health.
4. Excellent source of protein
Eggs baked with tomatoes are a great way to incorporate protein into your breakfast. In addition to being a complete source of protein, eggs also provide important nutrients such as vitamins B12 and D, as well as minerals such as selenium and zinc. Protein is essential for repairing and building tissue, and it also helps you feel fuller for longer by preventing you from snacking excessively throughout the day.
5. Full of flavor
Adding aromatic garlic cloves and fresh herbs such as parsley and/or chives to tomato baked eggs not only improves the flavor but also increases the nutritional value. Garlic contains compounds that may help lower blood pressure and improve cholesterol levels. Parsley and chives are rich in vitamins K, C and A and add additional nutrients to your meal.
Now that you are aware of the health benefits of tomato baked eggs, it’s time to try this delicious recipe. With its antioxidants, vitamins, heart-healthy ingredients, and protein content, baked tomato eggs offer a healthy and delicious choice for a nutritious breakfast or brunch. So grab those ripe vine tomatoes and enjoy a dish that will not only please your taste buds but also nourish your body.