This Eggplant Tomato Parmesan Casserole recipe, also known as Melanzane alla Parmigiana, is a timeless Italian dish that has been passed down through generations of Italian chefs. Each chef puts their own twist on it, resulting in delicious variations on this classic. What makes it even more tempting is the fact that it tastes even more delicious when made a day in advance. So don’t hesitate to prepare this delicious dish in advance to experience an extraordinary explosion of flavors!
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 2 x 400g cans of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 eggplants, cut into long, 5mm thick slices
- 85g Parmesan (or vegetarian alternative), freshly grated
- 20g pack of basil, leaves torn
- 1 egg, beaten
Discs, you will find
that they will do it
Amount of oil
While they cook,
juices along with
some of the
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6.
- In a shallow pan, combine the garlic and 4 tablespoons of olive oil. Cook over high heat for 3 minutes, add the tomatoes and then simmer for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomato puree.
- Meanwhile, heat a grill pan until very hot. Brush some aubergines with a little oil and add them to the pan. Fry over high heat for about 5-7 minutes until well browned and cooked through. Turn halfway through the cooking time. Remove to kitchen paper and prepare the next portion.
- When all the eggplants are cooked, place some of them in the bottom of an ovenproof dish and then pour some sauce over them. Sprinkle with Parmesan and basil leaves. Add spices and repeat this process with the remaining ingredients.
- Finally, pour the egg over the top, sprinkle some more parmesan on top and then bake for 20 minutes or until the topping is golden brown.
Equipment and tools
To prepare this eggplant tomato parmesan casserole you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Grill pan or frying pan
- baking pan
- cutting board
- A garlic press
- measuring spoon
- tin opener
- mixing bowl
Please note that this eggplant, tomato and parmesan casserole recipe may contain allergens. Consider the following:
- Contains dairy products: Parmesan cheese.
- Contains egg: beaten egg.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers or want to make this dish in advance, here are some storage tips:
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To reheat, place desired portion in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave until warmed through.
Health Benefits of Eggplant, Tomato and Parmesan Casserole
Eggplant Tomato Parmesan Casserole, also known as Melanzane alla Parmigiana, is a delicious and nutritious dish that combines the unique flavors of eggplant, tomatoes and Parmesan. Not only is this dish incredibly delicious, but it also offers several health benefits that make it a great addition to your diet.
1. Rich in antioxidants
Eggplant, also known as eggplant, is full of antioxidants that protect the body from free radicals. These antioxidants, like nasunin, may help reduce oxidative stress and inflammation, which are linked to chronic diseases like heart disease and certain cancers.
2. Supports digestive health
The combination of eggplant and tomatoes in this dish provides a good amount of fiber, which is essential for maintaining a healthy digestive system. Fiber promotes regular bowel movements, prevents constipation and supports the growth of beneficial intestinal bacteria.
3. Promotes heart health
The olive oil used in this recipe is rich in monounsaturated fats, which may help lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease. Additionally, the tomatoes in the dish contain lycopene, a powerful antioxidant that has been linked to a reduced risk of heart disease.
4. Supports bone health
One of the main ingredients in eggplant tomato parmesan casserole is parmesan cheese, which is a good source of calcium. Calcium is important for maintaining strong and healthy bones and preventing osteoporosis and bone fractures.
5. Provides essential nutrients
This dish is also a good source of several essential nutrients. Eggplants are rich in vitamins B6, C and K as well as minerals such as potassium and manganese. Tomatoes provide vitamins A and C as well as potassium. Parmesan cheese is a good source of protein as well as vitamins A and B12.
Overall, eggplant tomato parmesan casserole not only satisfies your taste buds but also offers numerous health benefits. It is a tasty and nutritious dish that is easy to incorporate into a balanced diet.