Eggplant Chaat is a delicious Indian dish that will tantalize your taste buds with its variety of flavors. This vegetarian recipe combines crunchy and spicy elements to create a unique and satisfying dish. Sliced eggplants are fried until golden brown and then tossed with a mixture of spices, crispy onions and refreshing yogurt. The chaat masala provides a spicy and aromatic note. Serve this popular appetizer at your next gathering or enjoy it as a snack. Eggplant Chaat is a must-try for anyone who loves a combination of textures and bold flavors.
- Gram flour dough
- 100g grams of flour
- 50g rice flour
- 50g corn flour
- 5g turmeric powder
- 3g salt
- 5g roasted cumin
- Water as needed
- Sweet Raita yogurt
- 500g natural yogurt
- 1 tbsp roasted cumin
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1 kg long eggplant slices
- 100g red onion brunoises
- 15g chaat masala
- 3g red chili powder
- 200 ml sweet yogurt raita
- 150 ml tamarind sauce
- 20g coriander sprigs
- Mix the chickpea flour, rice flour and corn flour with the turmeric powder, a pinch of salt, roasted cumin and a glass of water into a thin dough and set aside.
- Mix plain yogurt, roasted cumin and powdered sugar into a sweet yogurt raita and refrigerate.
- Add the eggplant slices to the chickpea flour batter and fry until crispy.
- Place the fried eggplant slices on paper towels and mix them with red onion brunoises and chaat masala.
- Place a large tablespoon of sweet yogurt raita and tamarind chutney on each plate.
- Place the fried eggplant slices on the plate and drizzle some sweet raita and tamarind chutney over them.
- Place another layer of fried eggplant slices on top.
- Finally serve some tamarind chutney and sweet raita.
- Garnish with coriander sprigs.
Equipment and tools
- mixing bowl
- frying pan
- cutting board
- Measuring cups and spoons
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Dairy: Natural yoghurt
- Gluten: Gram flour, rice flour and corn flour
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftover eggplant chaat, you can store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Before consuming the leftovers, make sure to reheat them properly in the microwave or on the stove. It is not recommended to freeze eggplant chaat as it may alter the texture of the dish.
Health Benefits of Eggplant Chaat
Health Benefits of Eggplant Chaat
grams of flour dough
Eggplant chaat contains a gram flour batter that offers multiple health benefits. Chickpea flour, also called besan, is made from ground chickpeas and is a good source of protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals.
Sweet Raita yogurt
The sweet raita yogurt used in eggplant chaat offers numerous health benefits. Yogurt is rich in probiotics, which are beneficial bacteria that support a healthy gut. It also contains calcium, protein and vitamins. The addition of roasted cumin provides a distinctive taste and also provides antioxidants.
Eggplant, the main ingredient in this dish, is low in calories and packed with nutrients. It is a great source of fiber, vitamins and minerals. The long slices of eggplant used in chaat are grilled or fried, making it a delicious and healthy addition to your diet.
Red onion and tamarind sauce
The red onion brunoises and tamarind sauce used in the eggplant chaat add extra flavor and health benefits. Red onions contain antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds that may help reduce the risk of chronic diseases. Tamarind sauce, made from the pulp of tamarind, is rich in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
Chaat masala and coriander sprigs
The chaat masala and coriander sprigs used as a topping for eggplant chaat not only enhances the taste but also has health benefits. Chaat Masala is a blend of various spices such as cumin, coriander and amchur (dried mango powder), which are known to aid digestion and have antioxidant properties. Coriander, on the other hand, is an herb full of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
In conclusion, eggplant chaat is a tasty and nutritious dish that offers several health benefits. From the protein-rich chickpea flour dough to the probiotic-rich sweet raita yogurt to the nutrient-rich eggplant, this dish combines various ingredients that contribute to overall well-being. Additionally, the use of red onion, tamarind sauce, chaat masala, and coriander adds additional flavor and health benefits to the dish. So why not try this delicious and healthy eggplant chaat recipe?