Eerie Eyeball Pops are the ultimate Halloween treat that will delight young and old alike. Made from decadent chocolate cake, these spooky cake balls are irresistibly delicious and terribly fun to make. Kids can join in the fun by decorating them and adding their own spooky touch to these spooky eyeballs. With their eerily realistic appearance, these treats are guaranteed to be a hit at any Halloween gathering. Prepare to be surprised as every bite exudes a hint of rich chocolate flavor that will captivate everyone. Get ready for a spooky and delicious experience that will leave you wanting more!
- 100g Madeira cake
- 100g Oreo cookies
- 100g bar of milk chocolate, melted
- 200g bar of white chocolate, melted
- a few Smarties and icing sticks to decorate
- 10 wooden skewers
- ½ small pumpkin
or butternut squash, deseeded, to put in
- Place the Madeira cake and cookies in the bowl of a food processor, pour in the melted milk chocolate and mix.
- Place the mixture in a bowl, then use your hands to roll it into about 10 walnut-sized balls. Chill for 2 hours until really firm.
- Insert a skewer into each ball and then gently spoon the white chocolate over the cake balls until completely covered.
- Place the cake pops in the pumpkin and then press a Smartie onto the surface while wet.
- Chill again until the chocolate has solidified.
- Before serving, use the icing sticks to add a pupil to each Smartie, adding wiggly red veins to the eyeballs.
Equipment and tools
- wooden skewers
- Glaze sticks
- Knife or cookie cutter
- mixing bowls
- Microwave or water bath for melting chocolate
- Table or baking tray to assemble
- Refrigerator or cool surface for storage
This recipe may contain the following allergens:
- Gluten from Madeira cake and Oreo cookies
- Milk made from milk chocolate and white chocolate
- The Smarties and icing sticks may contain traces of nuts and other allergens. Further information can be found on the packaging.
Storage and leftovers
After the scary eyeball pops are created, they can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. If you have leftovers, simply wrap them individually in plastic wrap or store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They make a spooky treat for later!
Health Benefits of “Eerie Eyeball Pops”
Despite their spooky and eerie appearance, Eerie Eyeball Pops can surprisingly provide some health benefits. These delicious treats combine a few key ingredients that provide essential nutrients to support overall wellness. Let’s take a closer look at the health benefits each component of this recipe provides.
The base of Eerie Eyeball Pops is madeira cake, a light and fluffy sponge cake typically flavored with lemon. Madeira cake is relatively low in calories and fat compared to other types of cake. It also contains carbohydrates that provide energy to your body.
Oreo cookies are a popular addition to this recipe, adding a rich chocolate flavor and crunchy texture. Even though they’re considered a treat, Oreos can still provide some health benefits. These cookies contain a small amount of iron, which is essential for transporting oxygen throughout the body. They also contain carbohydrates and fats for energy.
The melted milk chocolate coating not only adds sweetness but also adds to the health benefits of these pops. Milk chocolate contains flavonoids, antioxidants that protect the body from damage caused by free radicals. Dark chocolate is particularly known for its high flavonoid content, but milk chocolate also contains some of these beneficial compounds.
The melted white chocolate used to decorate the pops adds a creamy and sweet touch to the recipe. White chocolate contains calcium and phosphorus, important minerals for strong bones and teeth. It also provides a small amount of protein necessary for building and repairing tissue in the body.
The colorful Smarties used as decoration not only add a playful touch, but also contribute to the sensory experience of enjoying these pops. Like many other sweets, Smarties provide simple carbohydrates for quick energy boosts. They’re also low in fat, making them a relatively safe addition to this spooky treat.
Icing pens can be used to create intricate designs on the eyeballs, making them a fun and creative element of the recipe. While icing sticks don’t offer any significant health benefits, they definitely add to the visual appeal and enjoyment of these pops.
Pumpkin or butternut squash
Pumpkin or butternut squash can be used as a stand for the pops, adding a seasonal touch to the display. This vegetable is rich in fiber, which can aid digestion and promote satiety. They also contain vitamins A, C and E, which act as antioxidants and support overall immune health.
Overall, Eerie Eyeball Pops may not be particularly nutritious, but they do contain some ingredients that are beneficial for your health. Enjoying these spooky treats in moderation can still be part of a balanced diet, especially on festive occasions.