Are you craving a simple treat packed with flavor? Then our Easy Hot Cross Buns recipe is perfect for you! These delicious rolls are a real crowd pleaser whether enjoyed straight from the oven or lightly toasted for a leisurely tea or breakfast. Each bun is infused with a delicious combination of spices, giving it a warm and comforting aroma that is sure to awaken your taste buds. Treat yourself and your loved ones to a portion of these irresistible rolls. They are sure to become a favorite staple in your household!
- 500g strong white bread flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 heaped teaspoons of spice mixture
- 50g powdered sugar
- 50g butter, cut into cubes
- 200g mixed dried fruits
- 7g bag of easy-to-mix dry yeast
- 200 ml milk
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp flour
- Honey or golden syrup for brushing
- Put the flour in a bowl and stir in the salt, spice mix and sugar.
- Rub in the butter with your fingertips.
- Stir in the dried fruit, then sprinkle the yeast over it and stir in.
- Gently warm the milk so that it is hot but still cool enough that you can stick your finger in it for a few seconds.
- Beat with the eggs, then pour into the dried ingredients.
- Using a blunt knife, mix the ingredients into a moist dough and let it swell for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the bowl and cut the dough into 8 equal pieces.
- Form the dough into rolls on a floured work surface.
- Place on a baking tray, cover loosely with cling film and let rise in a warm place until halved in size again. This will take 45 minutes to 1 hour and 15 minutes depending on how warm the room is.
- Once the rolls have risen, preheat the oven to 220°C/fan 200°C/gas mark 7.
- Mix the flour with 2 tablespoons of water to form a paste.
- Pour into a plastic bag and cut a corner.
- Pipe a cross onto each bun.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until the dough has risen and is golden brown.
- Trim the excess cross mixture from the buns, then brush with honey or golden syrup.
- The rolls stay fresh for a day. Afterwards they are best roasted and served with butter.
Equipment and tools
- mixing bowl
- measuring spoon
- parchment paper
- cooking brush
- Sharp knife
Contains: milk, eggs
Storage and leftovers
Store the hot cross buns in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days. For longer storage, place them in the refrigerator for up to a week. You can also freeze the rolls for later consumption. To freshen up leftovers, warm them gently in the oven or toaster.
Health Benefits of Easy Hot Cross Buns
Hot cross buns are a delicious treat that many enjoy, especially around Easter time. But did you know that these sweet rolls also have some surprising health benefits? Let’s take a closer look at the ingredients in Easy Hot Cross Buns and discover how they can contribute to your overall well-being.
Strong white bread flour
The main ingredient in hot cross buns is strong white bread flour. This type of flour is made from finely ground wheat grains that retain most of their nutritional value. It provides a good amount of fiber, which is essential for healthy digestion and preventing constipation.
The addition of mixed spices not only provides a wonderful aroma and taste but also brings some health benefits. The traditional spice blend of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves is known for its antioxidant properties, which help fight inflammation and protect the body from damage caused by harmful free radicals.
While it’s important to consume added sugar in moderation, a small amount of powdered sugar used in hot cross buns adds sweetness to the buns. This ingredient provides a quick source of energy, making these rolls an ideal treat for a boost of energy throughout the day.
Butter is incorporated into the dough of hot cross buns, adding richness and moisture to the final product. Although butter is high in saturated fats, moderate consumption of butter can be part of a balanced diet. It contains essential fatty acids and fat-soluble vitamins such as vitamin A and vitamin E.
Mixed dried fruits
The mixed dried fruits in hot cross buns, which typically include raisins, currants and candied citrus peel, provide a concentrated source of nutrients. Dried fruits are rich in fiber, vitamins and minerals such as iron and potassium, which help maintain healthy blood pressure and promote heart health.
Easy to mix dry yeast
The easy-to-mix dry yeast is responsible for the loose consistency of hot cross buns. Yeast is a source of B vitamins, particularly vitamin B6 and vitamin B12, which play important roles in energy production, red blood cell formation and brain function.
milk and eggs
The combination of milk and eggs in hot cross buns adds moisture and richness to the dough. Milk is an excellent source of calcium and vitamin D, which are essential for maintaining strong bones and teeth. Eggs, on the other hand, are packed with high-quality protein and contain important vitamins and minerals, including vitamin B12 and selenium.
Plain flour, honey or golden syrup
Using pure flour along with honey or golden syrup to brush the rolls improves the taste and appearance. While plain flour provides carbohydrates for energy, small amounts of honey and golden syrup add natural sweetness and have potential antibacterial properties.
Overall, easy hot cross buns can be enjoyed not only for their deliciousness but also for the various health benefits they offer. However, moderation is important as these rolls should still be enjoyed as an occasional treat due to their added sugar and fat content. So treat yourself to these delicious treats knowing that they can add a touch of goodness to your taste buds and your well-being.