Introducing our delicious double smoked fish cakes packed with flavor! Made with a tantalizing combination of smoked fish and smoked cheddar, these delicious fish cakes are guaranteed to make your dining experience one to remember. Not only are they incredibly delicious, but they also offer a healthier twist on a classic recipe. Perfectly balanced in flavor and texture, these sophisticated fish cakes are sure to win the hearts of your loved ones. Prepare for a culinary delight that will easily end up on your family’s list of all-time favorites.
- 500 g floury potatoes, peeled and cut into pieces
- 350g smoked haddock
- 2 large or 4 small spring onions, finely chopped
- 50g smoked cheddar or mature cheddar, coarsely grated
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel and a good squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2-3 tbsp flour
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil for frying
- Cook the potatoes for 15 minutes until just tender.
- At the same time, place the smoked haddock in a deep pan, cover with boiling water and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let the haddock stand for 5 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes well and mash them.
- Lift the haddock out of the water and remove the skin and bones. Break the fish into medium sized flakes.
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients except flour and oil. Season and mix well. The mixture should be quite loose and somewhat sticky.
- Sprinkle flour on a plate. Divide the mixture into four parts and form the fish cakes by lightly coating them with flour.
- Place the fish cakes on a plate, cover with plastic wrap and let rest in the refrigerator for 20 minutes or until ready to use. You can make them up to 24 hours in advance or freeze them at this time for up to a month.
- Heat oil in a large heavy-bottomed frying pan. Add the fish cakes, spacing them well apart. Fry for 5-6 minutes.
- Turn the fish cakes over and fry on the other side for about 4-5 minutes. If frozen, you can roast it for up to 10 minutes longer.
Equipment and tools
- Potato masher
- Large mixing bowl
- frying pan
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Smoked haddock
- Smoked cheddar or mature cheddar
Please ensure that these allergens are safe for consumption and suitable for any dietary restrictions or allergies you may have.
Storage and leftovers
Store leftover double-smoked fish cakes in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They can be stored for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply heat them in a frying pan with a little oil until heated through.
Do not freeze the fish cakes, otherwise the consistency may be affected.
The Health Benefits of Double Smoked Fishcakes
Double-smoked fish cakes not only make for a flavorful and filling meal, but they also provide several health benefits. Packed with nutrient-dense ingredients, these fish cakes can be a valuable addition to a balanced diet. Let’s take a closer look at the health benefits offered by the main ingredients used in this recipe.
Floury potatoes are a great source of carbohydrates that provide energy. They are also rich in fiber, which aids digestion and helps maintain a healthy weight. Additionally, potatoes contain several essential minerals such as potassium, vitamin C and vitamin B6, which support a strong immune system and promote good heart health.
Smoked haddock serves as the main source of protein in double-smoked fish cakes. This fish is low in fat but high in lean protein, which is essential for muscle growth and repair. It is also a great source of omega-3 fatty acids, which contribute to heart health and help reduce inflammation in the body. Omega-3 fatty acids are also known to support brain function and improve mental well-being.
Spring onions not only add flavor to the fish cakes but also provide several health benefits. These onions are a rich source of antioxidants, including vitamin C and vitamin K. Vitamin C boosts the immune system and supports collagen production for healthy skin, while vitamin K supports bone health and blood clotting. Spring onions also contain sulfur compounds that support liver function and detoxification processes.
Smoked Cheddar/Aged Cheddar
Both smoked and aged cheddar contribute to the delicious flavor of double smoked fish cakes. In moderation, cheddar cheese can be a good source of calcium, which is essential for strong bones and teeth. It also provides protein and contains vitamins A and B12 and zinc, all of which are important for maintaining a healthy immune system and supporting proper nerve function.
Lemon zest and juice
Lemon zest and juice not only provide a refreshing citrus flavor, but also provide additional health benefits. Lemons are rich in vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant that aids collagen synthesis and supports a healthy immune system. In addition, vitamin C improves iron absorption from plant foods consumed with the fish cakes, thereby improving overall iron levels in the body.
In summary, double-smoked fish cakes prepared with these nutrient-dense ingredients offer a number of health benefits. From providing energy and essential minerals to supporting heart, brain and immune health, these fish cakes are a delicious way to incorporate healthy ingredients into your diet.