This Italian-style ice cream is light and creamy and best of all, you don’t need an ice cream maker to make it. Treat your taste buds to a heavenly combination of double cherries layered perfectly in this delicious dessert. The Semi-Freddo is characterized by a smooth texture that melts in the mouth and leaves a wonderful cherry taste. Ideal for warm summer days or as a sweet treat at any time of the year. Impress your family and friends with this elegant but simple recipe that will leave everyone wanting more.
- 1 kg cherries, pitted
- 400 ml cream
- 100g powdered sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- Waffles for serving (optional)
Try and buy it in a store
allows you to try them out first. Choose
the ones whose taste you like and you stick with
keep away from wet or damp objects. If you
Will use a lot of cherries, invest
in a small stoning machine – it’s a bit like that
a stapler for fruit!
- Set aside a handful (approx. 50 g) of the pitted cherries.
- Put the remaining cherries with the cream and 50 g of powdered sugar in a large saucepan and heat over medium heat.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then simmer gently for 5 minutes until the cherries begin to soften.
- Blend the mixture thoroughly in a blender and then strain it through a sieve to remove any lumps and solids.
- Pour some hot cherry cream over the egg yolks and mix well.
- Pour the mixture back into the pan and cook until it thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon, about five more minutes.
- Pour the mixture through a sieve into a bowl, cover the surface with cling film and allow to cool completely.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form, then gradually add the remaining 50g sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Continue beating until the mixture is stiff and resembles shaving cream.
- Stir a third of the egg white mixture into the cooled cherry cream and mix well.
- Carefully fold in the remaining egg white mixture in 2 batches.
- Line a 900g loaf tin with cling film.
- Pour the mixture into the mold, cover with plastic wrap and place in the freezer until just beginning to freeze, about 3 hours.
- Stir the whole cherries into the semi-frozen mixture.
- Place the can in the freezer for at least 8 hours, preferably overnight.
- Serve the semi-freddo by slicing it and serving with some berries, or sandwich it between waffles.
Equipment and tools
For this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- mixing bowl
- Stoning machine (optional)
This double cherry semi freddo recipe contains the following allergens:
Please ensure that anyone consuming this recipe is aware of these allergens and avoids them if necessary.
Storage and leftovers
Once prepared, the Double Cherry Semi-Freddo can be stored in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 1 week.
If you have leftovers, you can store them in the freezer for later consumption. Simply wrap leftovers tightly in plastic wrap or place in an airtight container before freezing.
If you want to use up the leftovers, let them soften slightly at room temperature for a few minutes before serving.
Health Benefits of “Double Cherry Semi-Freddo”
The delicious and creamy “Double Cherry Semi-Freddo” not only satisfies the palate but also offers several health benefits. Let’s explore the nutritional benefits of its main ingredients:
Cherries, the main ingredient in this dessert, are packed with essential vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. They are low in calories and high in fiber, making them a fantastic addition to a healthy diet.
Health benefits of cherries include:
- Reduced Inflammation: Cherries contain powerful antioxidants called anthocyanins, which have anti-inflammatory effects and may help relieve the symptoms of arthritis and other inflammatory diseases.
- Improves sleep: These delicious fruits are a natural source of melatonin, a hormone that regulates the sleep-wake cycle. Eating cherries or cherry products can improve sleep quality and duration.
- Increased heart health: The anthocyanins in cherries have been linked to a reduced risk of heart disease. They help lower blood pressure, lower cholesterol and protect against the formation of plaques in the arteries.
- Improved Workout Recovery: Cherries have been found to reduce muscle soreness and inflammation after intense workouts. Including them in your post-workout meal or snack can help promote faster recovery and muscle repair.
2. Double cream
While double cream contributes to semi-freddo’s delicious texture, it also offers some nutritional benefits. Double cream is a rich source of healthy fats, vitamins A and D, and calcium.
Potential health benefits of double cream include:
- Healthy fats: Double Cream contains predominantly saturated fats, which, when consumed in moderation, can support weight management and promote a feeling of satiety.
- Calcium and Vitamin D: These nutrients are essential for maintaining strong bones and teeth. Including Double Cream in your diet can help meet your daily calcium needs.
- Vitamin A: Double cream is a good source of vitamin A, which is important for vision health, immune function and cell growth.
Eggs give the “Double Cherry Semi-Freddo” structure and fullness. They are an excellent source of high-quality protein as well as several beneficial nutrients.
The nutritional benefits of eggs include:
- Protein Power: Eggs are considered a complete protein and contain all the essential amino acids necessary for various body functions, including muscle building and repair.
- Brain Health: Choline, a nutrient found in eggs, is crucial for brain development and function. It supports memory, cognition and a healthy nervous system.
- Eye Health: Eggs contain essential antioxidants such as lutein and zeaxanthin, which are beneficial for maintaining good vision and reducing the risk of age-related macular degeneration.
With these nutritious ingredients, the “Double Cherry Semi-Freddo” offers a delicious treat while providing a range of health benefits. Grab your fresh cherries and enjoy this creamy dessert!
Tip: Try to buy cherries from a store where you can taste them first. Choose the ones whose flavor you like and stay away from wet or soggy varieties. If you plan on using a lot of cherries, invest in a small pitting machine – it’s a bit like a stapler for fruit!