Enjoy the delicious flavors of a classic Devonshire honey cake, an ideal addition to any cream tea experience. This moist and rich cake is enriched with the delicate sweetness of local honey, giving it a distinctive and irresistible taste. Made with love, this traditional treat pays homage to Devonshire’s rich culinary heritage. Enjoy a slice of this delicious cake with a cup of tea or as part of a delicious afternoon tea spread. Delight yourself and your loved ones with this heavenly cake that embodies the essence of a cream tea.
- 250g clear honey, plus about 2 tbsp extra for glazing
- 225g unsalted butter
- 100g dark muscovado sugar
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 300g self-raising flour
Here is the article section for “Devonshire Honey Cake” with ol and li HTML list items:
- Preheat the oven to fan 140°C/fan 160°C/gas 3.
- Grease and line a 20cm loose-bottomed round cake tin.
- Cut the butter into pieces and place in a medium pan along with the honey and sugar.
- Melt slowly over low heat.
- If the mixture looks quite runny, increase the heat under the pan and cook for about a minute.
- Allow to cool for 15-20 minutes so that the eggs do not cook when mixed in.
- Using a wooden spoon, beat the eggs into the melted honey mixture.
- Sift the flour into a large bowl and add the egg and honey mixture and mix until you have a smooth, fairly runny dough.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, until the cake has risen well, is golden brown and springs back when pressed.
- A skewer inserted into the center of the cake should come out clean.
- Turn the cake out onto a cake rack.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of honey in a small pan and spread over the cake to create a sticky glaze, then leave to cool.
- It will keep for 4-5 days when wrapped in an airtight container.
Devonshire honey cake recipe
Devonshire honey cake recipe
Equipment and tools
To make this delicious Devonshire honey cake you will need the following equipment and tools:
- mixing bowl
- wooden spoon
- Round cake tin
- baking paper
- Cooling rack
- Pastry brush
This Devonshire honey cake may contain allergens. Please note the following:
- Gluten: This recipe contains self-raising flour, which contains gluten.
- Eggs: Eggs are used in this recipe. If you have an egg allergy, please avoid this cake.
- Dairy: Butter is used in this recipe. If you have a milk allergy, you may need to substitute with a suitable alternative.
Storage and leftovers
Here are some tips for storing and enjoying leftovers of this Devonshire honey cake:
- Once the cake has completely cooled, store it in an airtight container at room temperature.
- This cake stays moist and delicious for up to 3 days.
- If necessary, you can warm individual slices in the microwave for a few seconds.
- To prevent the cake from drying out, you can brush it with a thin layer of honey before storing it.
Health Benefits of Devonshire Honey Cake
Devonshire honey cake is a delicious dessert that not only satisfies the taste buds but also offers several health benefits. Made from natural ingredients, particularly honey, this traditional cake provides a range of nutrients and antioxidants that promote overall well-being.
1. Rich in antioxidants
One of the outstanding health benefits of Devonshire honey cake is its high antioxidant content. The dark muscovado sugar used in the recipe contains more molasses and is therefore rich in antioxidants compared to regular processed sugar. Antioxidants help protect the body’s cells from damage caused by harmful free radicals, reducing the risk of chronic diseases.
2. Nutrient rich
This delicious cake is packed with nutrient-dense ingredients. Clear honey, the star of this recipe, contains essential vitamins and minerals including potassium, calcium, and vitamin C. These nutrients support various body functions, such as maintaining healthy bones and strengthening the immune system.
3. Natural energy source
The combination of honey and unsalted butter in Devonshire Honey Cake provides a natural source of energy. Honey is known for its high carbohydrate content and provides a quick energy boost when needed. Additionally, it contains easily digestible simple sugars, making it an ideal choice for people who need instant energy.
4. Promotes digestive health
The self-rising flour used in this cake adds a beneficial fiber component. This fiber helps maintain a healthy digestive system by promoting regular bowel movements and preventing constipation. It also helps in weight control and reduces the risk of various gastrointestinal diseases.
5. Supports heart health
Although Devonshire honey cake should be enjoyed in moderation, its ingredients may contribute to heart health. The absence of salt in the formula reduces sodium intake, which is beneficial for those with high blood pressure. In addition, the presence of honey is associated with lowering LDL (bad) cholesterol levels when used as a substitute for refined sugar.
6. Mood-boosting properties
Eating this tasty treat can bring joy and happiness. Honey acts as a natural mood enhancer because it can increase the production of serotonin, a neurotransmitter associated with happiness and well-being. The delicious taste and aroma of Devonshire honey cake can also aid relaxation and reduce stress.
Devonshire honey cake is not only a delicious dessert, but a healthier alternative to many other sugary treats. By using natural ingredients and leveraging their inherent properties, this cake offers guilt-free enjoyment. So why not treat yourself to a slice of this delicious cake while reaping its numerous health benefits?