Delight your friends with afternoon tea that includes this easy carrot cake. This delicious recipe requires minimal effort, making it the perfect choice for any occasion. The moist and flavorful cake can be prepared in advance and conveniently stored in the freezer. Simply take it out on the day and drizzle it over the luscious glaze for an extra touch of sweetness. By following this recipe, you can effortlessly make a delicious carrot cake that will leave your guests wanting more.
- 175g light muscovado sugar
- 175 ml sunflower oil
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 140 g grated carrots (approx. 3 medium-sized)
- 100g raisins
- grated peel of a large orange
- 175g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp grated nutmeg (freshly grated gives the best taste)
- 175g powdered sugar
- 1½-2 tbsp orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4/fan 160°C.
- Oil the bottom and sides of an 18cm square cake tin and line with baking paper.
- Cut two long strips of baking paper the width of the tin and place each strip crosswise so that the bottom and sides of the tin are covered with a double layer of bottom.
- Place the oil in a large mixing bowl and add the sugar and eggs. Mix lightly with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in the grated carrots, raisins and orange peel.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and spices and then sift into the mixing bowl with the other ingredients. Mix lightly until evenly combined.
- The mixture will be quite soft and almost liquid.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 40-45 minutes or until the cake feels firm and springy when pressed in the center.
- Let the cake cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then turn it out onto a wire rack and peel off the baking paper.
- Allow the cake to cool completely on the wire rack. You can also freeze the cake at this point.
- In a small bowl, stir together the glaze ingredients until smooth. The icing should be about as liquid as cream.
- Place the cake on a serving plate and drizzle the glaze over the top in diagonal lines back and forth, allowing it to drip down the sides.
Equipment and tools
- mixing bowl
- Whisk or wooden spoon
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Cake Tin
- Cooling rack
This delicious recipe for delicious carrot cake contains the following allergens:
Storage and leftovers
Once the carrot cake has cooled completely, store it in an airtight container at room temperature. It stays fresh for up to 3 days.
If you have leftovers, you can also freeze them for later. Wrap individual slices in plastic wrap and place in a freezer-safe container. The cake can be frozen for up to 3 months.
The health benefits of the delicious carrot cake recipe
Carrot cake may not be the first thing that comes to mind when you think of healthy desserts, but surprisingly, this tasty carrot cake recipe offers several health benefits. Packed with healthy ingredients and essential nutrients, this cake is a delicious treat that you can enjoy guilt-free.
This carrot cake recipe contains some fantastic ingredients that add to its nutritional value. Starting with grated carrots, this cake provides a great source of vitamin A, which is crucial for eye health and immune function. The carrots also add natural sweetness and moisture to the cake, reducing the amount of added sugar and oil.
In addition, this recipe contains raisins, which not only provide natural sweetness, but also contain fiber, vitamins and minerals. They are a great source of antioxidants and can improve digestion and promote overall health.
The grated peel of a large orange not only adds a hint of citrus flavor, but also provides vitamin C, which supports the immune system and collagen production. Freshly grated nutmeg, on the other hand, provides a wonderfully warm taste and is known for its anti-inflammatory properties.
Healthier cooking options
The Yummy Scrummy Carrot Cake recipe uses lighter and healthier cooking options to ensure guilt-free enjoyment. For example, instead of butter, sunflower oil is used, which is low in saturated fats and high in vitamin E, a powerful antioxidant. Instead of refined white sugar, light muscovado sugar is used, providing a rich flavor while retaining some of its natural molasses content.
Using self-raising flour further reduces the amount of added leavening agents needed for the cake. And by using self-raising whole wheat flour, you can increase the fiber content of the cake, which promotes healthy digestion.
Lower calorie frosting option
The icing on the cake, literally, is the mixture of orange juice and powdered sugar used as the glaze. Unlike traditional cream cheese frosting, this lighter version significantly reduces the calorie content while still providing a delicious sweetness. It adds a delicious citrus note that perfectly complements the flavors of the cake.
In summary, the Yummy Scrummy Carrot Cake recipe not only satisfies your sweet tooth but also provides your body with essential nutrients and healthier ingredients. So treat yourself to a piece of this delicious carrot cake and enjoy it without feeling guilty!