This dessert is dark, moist and irresistibly chocolaty. Made with the finest cocoa powder and a hint of sweetness, it offers a velvety texture that melts in your mouth. The tart is luxuriously dense but surprisingly light on the palate, making for a filling and delicious dessert experience that won’t overwhelm you with its richness.
This exquisite dessert not only satisfies your sweet cravings, but also proves to be extremely versatile. Whether enjoyed fresh or frozen, it retains its incredible flavor and texture, making it the perfect make-ahead treat for any occasion. Just pop it in the freezer and enjoy a heavenly slice of this enchanting dark chocolate cake whenever you want.
- 200g unsalted butter
- 200 g bar of dark chocolate, 70% cocoa, chopped
- 4 large eggs
- 200g golden powdered sugar
- 50g plain flour
- 50g ground almonds
- Cocoa powder for dusting
Try it with mascarpone jam ice cream (see “Good with this”), sherry-soaked raisins, raspberries and fresh cream, or poached pears and chocolate sauce.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
- Grease and line the bottom and sides of a 23cm springform pan or loose-bottomed cake tin.
- Place butter and chocolate in a pan and melt gently until smooth.
- Meanwhile, using an electric whisk, mix the eggs and sugar for 5 minutes until you get a fluffy mixture about the thickness of a regular custard.
- Pour the chocolate-butter mixture into the beaten egg and sugar, then gently fold in with a large metal spoon.
- Mix the flour, almonds and ¼ teaspoon salt and then fold into the mixture until a uniform mixture is formed.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 35-40 minutes, until evenly set and lightly crusted all over.
- Allow the cake to cool until warm, then remove it from the pan.
- Dust with cocoa and cut into wedges.
Equipment and tools
- mixing bowl
- Electric mixer or whisk
- 20 cm round springform pan, greased and lined with baking paper
- baking paper
This dark chocolate cake contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products (butter)
Storage and leftovers
If there are any leftovers, you can store the dark chocolate cake in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 3 days. Alternatively, you can store it in the refrigerator to extend its shelf life by up to a week. To enjoy the cake again, simply bring it to room temperature before serving.
Health Benefits of Dark and Crunchy Chocolate Cake
Dark chocolate is often viewed as a guilty pleasure, but did you know that it can actually provide some health benefits? This delicious dark and moist chocolate cake not only satisfies your sweet tooth, but also offers some potential benefits for your well-being. Let’s explore the health benefits of the main ingredients of this delicious dessert.
1. Dark chocolate
The main star of this cake is the dark chocolate with 70% cocoa content. Dark chocolate, especially those with a high cocoa content, is rich in antioxidants called flavonoids. These antioxidants help fight free radicals that can cause oxidative stress and damage to our cells. Additionally, flavonoids have been linked to various health benefits, including improved heart health, reduced inflammation, and improved cognitive function.
As the main ingredient in this recipe, eggs offer several nutritional benefits. They are an excellent source of high-quality protein and contain all the essential amino acids our body needs. Eggs are also rich in essential vitamins and minerals such as vitamin B12, vitamin D, selenium and choline. In addition, eggs provide healthy fats, which are essential for the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins.
3. Ground almonds
Ground almonds not only give the cake a pleasant texture, but also contribute to its nutritional value. Almonds are rich in healthy monounsaturated fats, fiber, proteins and various vitamins and minerals. They are particularly known for their high content of vitamin E, a powerful antioxidant that protects our cells from damage caused by free radicals. Almonds are also associated with promoting heart health and weight control.
While this dark and moist chocolate cake is undoubtedly a delicious treat, the presence of these comforting ingredients adds a touch of nutritional value to your dessert. Remember to enjoy it in moderation and consider pairing it with healthier sides like mascarpone jam ice cream, fruit, or poached pears to balance its richness.