Treat yourself to the ultimate Christmas treat with our Custard & Crumble Mince Pies. A delicious twist on the classic festive favorite, these cakes take the traditional mince pie to a new level of decadence. The buttery pastry crust hides a delicious surprise – a delicious layer of creamy custard that gives every bite a velvety smoothness. The whole thing is topped off with a generous sprinkling of irresistible, crumbly goodness, creating a symphony of textures that will leave you wanting more. The combination of custard and sprinkles transforms these mince pies into a truly irresistible and heavenly treat, adding a delicious sweetness to every bite.
- 125g unsalted butter, cold from the fridge
- 185g flour, plus some flour for dusting
- 3 tbsp golden powdered sugar
- 1 large egg
- 180g minced meat
- 120 g curd cream
Make sure they last a long time
Because they have a custard layer, these pies won’t last long in an airtight container. If you prefer, omit the custard and use 2 teaspoons of minced meat per pastry case before topping with the streusel. You can also eat them with custard instead!
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Place a baking tray on the middle shelf in the oven.
- Cut the butter into small cubes.
- Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl and add a pinch of salt.
- Add the butter to the flour and rub together with your fingers until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Place a heaping 1/2 cup (85 g) of the crumbs in a smaller bowl and set aside.
- Prepare two small bowls.
- Crack the egg into the side of a bowl, then gently pull the shell in half, leaving the yolk on one side.
- Drain the whites from the yolks into one bowl and add the yolks to the other bowl.
- Beat the egg yolks with a fork and then add them to the larger bowl with the butter and flour mixture.
- Using a cutlery knife, stir the egg yolk into the crumbs.
- Place your hand in the bowl and press the crumbs into a ball.
- Knead the dough a few times until it is smooth.
- Sprinkle some flour over your work surface.
- Sprinkle a little more over the dough and roll it out to the thickness of two £1 coins.
- Stamp the dough with an 8cm cutter and roll the ingredients again to make 12 rounds.
- Gently push the dough pieces into the bun tin.
- Pour a heaped teaspoon of vanilla sauce into each of the pastry cases and top with the minced meat.
- Add the last 1 tablespoon sugar to the smaller bowl with the crumb mixture.
- Squeeze it together to form larger clumps and place it on top of the minced meat.
- Slide the bun tin onto the baking tray and bake for 15 minutes, until golden brown and the custard and minced meat begin to form bubbles.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 15 minutes, then carefully lift the pies onto a wire rack and allow to cool.
- It will keep for 2 days in an airtight container.
Equipment and tools
For this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- mixing bowl
- Bakery cutter
- rolling pin
- Muffin tin
- baking paper
This recipe may contain allergens. Please check the ingredients list and labels of all store-purchased ingredients for possible allergens.
Storage and leftovers
These custard and streusel mince pies are best enjoyed fresh from the oven. However, if you have leftovers, here are some storage tips:
- Allow the cakes to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.
- Use within 2-3 days.
Tip: Because they have a custard layer, these pies won’t last long in an airtight container. If you prefer, omit the custard and use 2 teaspoons of minced meat per pastry case before topping with the streusel. You can also eat them with custard instead!
Health Benefits of Custard & Crumble Mince Pies
Custard and Streusel Mince Pies are a delightful holiday treat that will not only satisfy your sweet tooth, but also provide several health benefits. This article explores the nutritional benefits of these delicious cakes.
1. Good source of energy
The rich combination of ingredients in vanilla pudding and streusel mince pies provides a good amount of energy. The unsalted butter and plain flour provide carbohydrates that are important for fueling your body and keeping it active.
2. Essential nutrients
These mince pies contain important nutrients that have a positive impact on your overall health. Butter is a good source of fat-soluble vitamins such as vitamin A, vitamin E and vitamin K. In addition, pure flour provides minerals such as iron and magnesium, which support various body functions.
3. Antioxidant-rich ground beef
Ground beef, a key ingredient in these pies, is a source of antioxidants. It typically contains dried fruits such as raisins, currants and sultanas, which are full of antioxidants that protect your body from damage caused by harmful free radicals.
4. Digestive health
Custard and streusel mince pies can help improve the health of your digestive system. The combination of ingredients, including butter and flour, provides fiber that supports healthy digestion and prevents constipation.
5. Mood enhancer
Treating yourself to a cake with custard and sprinkles can brighten your mood. The delicious combination of flavors and textures can lift your mood and bring a sense of comfort during the holidays.
If you wish, you can omit the custard layer and use a larger amount of minced meat, which will further enhance the health benefits of these pies. Minced meat is often prepared with fruits and spices and provides additional vitamins and minerals.
7. Enjoy with vanilla sauce
In addition to the custard layer, these pies can also be enjoyed with additional custard. Often made with milk, eggs, and sugar, custard contains protein, calcium, and other essential nutrients.
In summary, custard and streusel mince pies not only bring joy during the holiday season but also provide several health benefits. These cakes are a good source of energy and provide important nutrients and antioxidants – you can enjoy them guilt-free. So enjoy the taste and treat yourself to these delicious treats!